Is the clock ticking on the Sorcerer Mickey Hat icon at the Studios? YES!

TomP

hollywood palms.jpg
I never noticed that they were taller than the buildings. It really does mess with the effect. I guess to keep it right they'd need to be replaced every few years.

They don't look out of place at all. If you look at Los Angeles street pics, most have palms taller than the 30's-40's era buildings. Plus, I can only imagine the value of those palms and costs to replace every few years. Here's an example of a L.A. street

Father Robinson

I see they still haven't gotten rid of the tip of the hat yet. I actually hope they salvage it and make something nice with it as part of a tribute to those who actually liked the hat. It would be great if you could actually touch it. Just sayin, there are tons of people who only know the park with the hat, so it would be nice to give those folks something they can hold on to.

Bing Bong

I see they still haven't gotten rid of the tip of the hat yet. I actually hope they salvage it and make something nice with it as part of a tribute to those who actually liked the hat. It would be great if you could actually touch it. Just sayin, there are tons of people who only know the park with the hat, so it would be nice to give those folks something they can hold on to.
May I ask what is worth holding on to? I'm just curious.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
May I ask what is worth holding on to? I'm just curious.

The people you care about, your family, your memory, your accomplishments, and yes your love of life. These things have no intrinsic value, but they are the things we need to hang onto with all our emotional might or life is a meaningless game with strange rules that will leave you feeling empty.

Bing Bong

The people you care about, your family, your memory, your accomplishments, and yes your love of life. These things have no intrinsic value, but they are the things we need to hang onto with all our emotional might or life is a meaningless game with strange rules that will leave you feeling empty.
I meant about the hat, but I'm glad you could take advantage of the situation.

tirian

View attachment 80990

They don't look out of place at all. If you look at Los Angeles street pics, most have palms taller than the 30's-40's era buildings. Plus, I can only imagine the value of those palms and costs to replace every few years. Here's an example of a L.A. street
You took the words out my mouth. That's how the trees really are in L.A.

tirian

The hat hasn't really bothered me but I have defended it from time to time and since I've only been since the hat was in place, I didn't know any different. However, I can tell just by seeing the theatre peak over that the view is now going to be a hell of a lot nicer without the hat, so good riddance.
I've always hated the hat's location, yet I thought the hat itself would look nice somewhere else. But now that I see real architecture again, I think the hat needs to go away forever. Real placemaking and theming are superior to giant fiberglass icons.

Cosmic Commando

View attachment 80990

Yeah, but if you were actually in the 30s or 40s like you're supposed to be on Hollywood Blvd and Sunset Blvd, the trees probably would have been much shorter. Just nitpicking; I don't think it's worth the trouble to keep up with it unless it causes some other issue.

Seabasealpha1

I am fairly certain they were removed during the 2003 GMR refurb. During that same refurb the exterior was fully repainted.
I thought I saw somewhere on there that they were in fact retractable and should still be there somewhere? or is there some magical place where one could stuff four HUGE spires temporarily? Or are they out back with the 20K subs?

SnarkyMonkey

So you are thinking that people would line up to pet the tip of BAH? ROFLMAO!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom