Is the clock ticking on the Sorcerer Mickey Hat icon at the Studios? YES!

Goofyernmost

Check out how much better the paint on the theatre looked...I'm sure not as good as it did when it opened, but you can see some serious fading in recent photos...sad...

And those spires!

Hoping the make a solid and long-overdue come-back! Looking at the original theatre in CA, it's like...wierd having them gone...it doesn't look complete...
I haven't really noticed any difference, but, could be I suppose. I wonder if the fact that instead of being shrouded by a BAH and trees it had sun shining on it at the time of the first pictures makes it look a little brighter. I guess we shall see before long.

The Rocketeer

Check out how much better the paint on the theatre looked...I'm sure not as good as it did when it opened, but you can see some serious fading in recent photos...sad...

And those spires!

Hoping the make a solid and long-overdue come-back! Looking at the original theatre in CA, it's like...wierd having them gone...it doesn't look complete...
The picture that Attractions Magazine originally posted that made me thrilled (even though it wasn't confirmed then) shows the spires
image.jpg
I also saw a picture on Instagram a few months back of a wdw map which showed the theater with spires, an enlarged earful tower, and tower of terror. I forgot who posted it and can't find it.. We shall see soon.

JustInTime

I didn't realise it was so visibly permanent at the time of building. I really can't fathom how the people back then didn't go ballistic over it, did people really think that it improved the theming? What on earth was going through people's minds that no-one thought to complain?
I remember going in 2006 and being outraged. This is before I was on any fan sites and I didn't have facebook. Keeping in mind I was an outraged 17 year old at the time. haha

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
The picture that Attractions Magazine originally posted that made me thrilled (even though it wasn't confirmed then) shows the spires View attachment 80930I also saw a picture on Instagram a few months back of a wdw map which showed the theater with spires, an enlarged earful tower, and tower of terror. I forgot who posted it and can't find it.. We shall see soon.

Not to burst your bubble but they've always had the spires in the park map. Unfortunately it probably doesn't mean anything but let's hope they restore the facade after the hat demolition.

dhs_map_large_2009_july.jpg

tirian

Eisner knew there was enough content for a whole park because he saw the plans for Universal Studios Florida when he was at Paramount, who Universal courted as a partner. Eisner took not only the idea of having a park, but also getting a production partner to help better establish Florida as a place to film.
And the park could—and should—have had a James Bond ride.

The Rocketeer

Not to burst your bubble but they've always had the spires in the park map. Unfortunately it probably doesn't mean anything but let's hope they restore the facade after the hat demolition.

dhs_map_large_2009_july.jpg
Thanks for the info! I know the spires were still there after the 100 years of magic sign was replaced by whatever the swirly thing was called. I'm not exactly sure when they were removed.

Last edited:

peter11435

Thanks for the info! I know the spires were still there after the 100 years of magic sign was replaced by whatever the swirly thing was called. I'm not exactly sure when they were removed. I'm still hoping for their return.
I am fairly certain they were removed during the 2003 GMR refurb. During that same refurb the exterior was fully repainted.

Brian

They'd be wise to restore the facade (if in fact they plan on doing so) while the hat is still coming down. It would avoid another major eyesore of a view down Hollywood Blvd.

Last edited:

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
Anyone who's been following on WDWMAGIC for years knows it's a lot more than fibre glad'ss. We covered the hat construction at http://www.wdwmagic.com/attractions/sorcerer-hat-icon/gallery.htm

Thanks for the link to that. Unfortunately I haven't been around here for years...but plan to be :)

I think many took my post wrong which was my fault for making it seem I thought it was just a simple Fiberglass structure. It meant it mainly in the context where so many thought it would come down in a night or two.

The Rocketeer

Thanks for the link to that. Unfortunately I haven't been around here for years...but plan to be :)

I think many took my post wrong which was my fault for making it seem I thought it was just a simple Fiberglass structure. It meant it mainly in the context where so many thought it would come down in a night or two.
It's ridiculous how many people thought it would be gone overnight. I've seen people say "I can't believe it's not there anymore" and "they took it down last night" I'm guessing they don't understand the meaning of destruction/deconstruction. Usually it takes weeks to tear down a structure, especially in the parks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom