Is Riviera a DVC addition to Caribbean Beach?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Actually, not having financed, I just don't know. That would be an interesting statistic, though. I will bet that you are right that a lot more are financing the much higher cost.
Which puts DVC in a very tough spot if a crash were to occur...

They’re not alone, However...spray tan bob has put the whole of wdw right next to them

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Again...I didn’t come up with this idea. Old Pete wrote about. Not claiming it as fact...just saying it seems to be “credible”...that’s the word of the week.

With all due respect...you seem to be taking the contention that DVC is overpriced and that riviera may not be the “best” of ideas too personally. We can disagree in our opinions and still discuss.

Maybe you’ll change my mind🤓

They give three options - I think
1. Cash (only one that makes sense)
2. Private financing
3. Their financing which I believe used to be banks but is now Disney?

You know the rate on theirs? 10%...that’s insane. You’re paying much more for your rooms long after you plugged the toilet and checked out.
Except that Old Pete stated that he didn't know how many points or deeds had been sold, since Disney doesn't release that information. But the county comptrollers office does, and it is easy to look it up, so I take what Old Pete says with a grain of salt.

Yes, I think the latest direct prices are overpriced, but that has nothing to do with how well Riviera is selling. People are still paying those prices, so someone thinks it's still a value, even if we don't.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Except that Old Pete stated that he didn't know how many points or deeds had been sold, since Disney doesn't release that information. But the county comptrollers office does, and it is easy to look it up, so I take what Old Pete says with a grain of salt.

Yes, I think the latest direct prices are overpriced, but that has nothing to do with how well Riviera is selling. People are still paying those prices, so someone thinks it's still a value, even if we don't.
The part I’d focus on is “sources in DVC”...like it or not, he is tied in. I doubt that was said as a misdirect in passing?

I bet a large number of the sales are the standards who want 7 contracts and won’t budge outside of DVC. I’m sure there is a lot of “next best thing to boardwalk and beach club” there too.

If I were to look at another contract...and I was kicking it around till 6/18...I think longterm I’ll wait and see if they put something over on crescent lake again...it’s the best area.

We’ll see.
One thing I believe is that both wdw and DVC are both sitting on a powder keg. The “recession proofing” is gone after the last 10 years of really egregious hikes. So that will be a big deal...my theory.

Let’s watch.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
The part I’d focus on is “sources in DVC”...like it or not, he is tied in. I doubt that was said as a misdirect in passing?

I bet a large number of the sales are the standards who want 7 contracts and won’t budge outside of DVC. I’m sure there is a lot of “next best thing to boardwalk and beach club” there too.

If I were to look at another contract...and I was kicking it around till 6/18...I think longterm I’ll wait and see if they put something over on crescent lake again...it’s the best area.

We’ll see.
One thing I believe is that both wdw and DVC are both sitting on a powder keg. The “recession proofing” is gone after the last 10 years of really egregious hikes. So that will be a big deal...my theory.

Let’s watch.
Yup, time will tell.

nickys

Premium Member
Which puts DVC in a very tough spot if a crash were to occur...

They’re not alone, However...spray tan bob has put the whole of wdw right next to them

The info on the DVC site says financing is through Disney Vacation Development, Inc. , so obviously an arms length branch of Disney. Interested why you think DVC would be in a tight spot in a crash?

Those who financed will effectively default if they can’t afford the loan repayments. Which means DVC get the contracts back which they can then sell again. In the long run they won’t take a loss, even if they do in the short term. It happened before and prices bounced back and then soared.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The info on the DVC site says financing is through Disney Vacation Development, Inc. , so obviously an arms length branch of Disney. Interested why you think DVC would be in a tight spot in a crash?

Those who financed will effectively default if they can’t afford the loan repayments. Which means DVC get the contracts back which they can then sell again. In the long run they won’t take a loss, even if they do in the short term. It happened before and prices bounced back and then soared.

Exactly...an the first thing that goes away in los estados unidos in a crash is discretionary money and easy credit.

So you have defaults and nobody buying.

And “bounce back and soared” is a recovery...not a crash.

My main thought on DVC and wdw is that they have increased the base prices so far that they will not be able to effectively discount.

30% off? Worked in 2010...

But now 30% is 40% higher than in 2010 😂

That’ll work.

(Disclaimer: I did not do the math...but just realize that the starting point is much higher and Wall Street only tolerates a certain amount of discounting)

correcaminos

I am most certainly NOT defending those prices. We think they are nuts as well, which is why we'll only be buying resale going forward. I'm sorry that it seemed like I was defending them. But people stating that Riviera sales are not up to expectations, when to this point, it is selling better than CC or Poly did at this point, is simply wrong. Just trying to get the right and correct information out there.

We are also long time owners, and don't feel disenchanted at all. So what kind of things are they disenchanted with?
Sorry that I read you in a way you didn't intend then. Truly. Offering incentives on fixed weeks though is a sign that something might be amiss. They have never done that in the history of fixed weeks until now.

I really don't want to speak too much for others but this is mentioned enough. Some even on the DVC page talked about feeling like 2nd class citizens. Some feel the increases in dues are not justifying the service we now get. Some feel like the rooms we get now are in poorly kept shape and when something does come up the compensation just isn't there. Some totally lost faith in DVC/DVD after the points fiasco they went back on. The high number of points for a resort that really doesn't call for them... it's a lot.

correcaminos

Only bad that happens to DVC is that they are now responsible for the dues for contracts that were taken back. Or not getting what they need out of missed dues.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Sorry that I read you in a way you didn't intend then. Truly. Offering incentives on fixed weeks though is a sign that something might be amiss. They have never done that in the history of fixed weeks until now.
True, but not sure why people think that it's a sign of overall slow sales. Might only be an indication of slower fixed week sales, which is true. Not really sure why they even bothered to offer that option, as none of the resorts where they have offered fixed weeks has really sold very many of them.

I really don't want to speak too much for others but this is mentioned enough. Some even on the DVC page talked about feeling like 2nd class citizens. Some feel the increases in dues are not justifying the service we now get. Some feel like the rooms we get now are in poorly kept shape and when something does come up the compensation just isn't there. Some totally lost faith in DVC/DVD after the points fiasco they went back on. The high number of points for a resort that really doesn't call for them... it's a lot.
We have never felt like 2nd class citizens, and it seemed that most of the complaining came from one person - who ended up getting more than he ever deserved. We haven't noticed any difference in the level of service at all. Case in point. We were just at BCV last week in a 1 bedroom (our preferred type of room). We noticed that there weren't any skillets to cook anything with, and the dryer sounded like a jet taking off during the spin cycle. We went down to let the CMs at the front desk know, and that it could wait until after we checked out - which was the next day. Well, the skillets and pans that were missing showed up in less than 30 minutes, and a maintenance tech was there about the same time! They swapped out the machine that day, even though we said it could wait until after we leave. This is the kind of service we ALWAYS get, and it's never been better.

As far as the rooms. Initially, DVC was designed to do a complete hard refurb of a room every 14 years. Just a few years ago, they changed it to 7 years, which did cause our dues to go up to pay for the more frequent updates. They just got done with OKW and BCV. Now SSR is getting their updates. So yes, a person might get a room that hasn't been updated in 12 years or so, and would be looking pretty worn. Since people were complaining so much about it, DVC listened and changed the timetable.

I assume you are talking about Riviera when you talk about high number of points for a room. The rooms look gorgeous, and as you know, the points aren't just for the room, but all the amenities that go with it. It's a single building, yet has 3 pools and 5 places for food and beverage. And it's completely DVC, so owners have to pay for everything. They aren't sharing costs like BCV or BWV do. While I'm not crazy about the higher points cost, I do understand why. They are pitching it at near the level of VGF for opulence, and looking at the rooms, it does appear to be that way.

Not sure about the points fiasco. I remember there was something, but don't remember any details. What was that all about?

So to caveat all of this, I don't agree with everything they have done, but it looks to us like there is a whole lot more good than bad recently.

correcaminos

True, but not sure why people think that it's a sign of overall slow sales. Might only be an indication of slower fixed week sales, which is true. Not really sure why they even bothered to offer that option, as none of the resorts where they have offered fixed weeks has really sold very many of them.

We have never felt like 2nd class citizens, and it seemed that most of the complaining came from one person - who ended up getting more than he ever deserved. We haven't noticed any difference in the level of service at all. Case in point. We were just at BCV last week in a 1 bedroom (our preferred type of room). We noticed that there weren't any skillets to cook anything with, and the dryer sounded like a jet taking off during the spin cycle. We went down to let the CMs at the front desk know, and that it could wait until after we checked out - which was the next day. Well, the skillets and pans that were missing showed up in less than 30 minutes, and a maintenance tech was there about the same time! They swapped out the machine that day, even though we said it could wait until after we leave. This is the kind of service we ALWAYS get, and it's never been better.

As far as the rooms. Initially, DVC was designed to do a complete hard refurb of a room every 14 years. Just a few years ago, they changed it to 7 years, which did cause our dues to go up to pay for the more frequent updates. They just got done with OKW and BCV. Now SSR is getting their updates. So yes, a person might get a room that hasn't been updated in 12 years or so, and would be looking pretty worn. Since people were complaining so much about it, DVC listened and changed the timetable.

I assume you are talking about Riviera when you talk about high number of points for a room. The rooms look gorgeous, and as you know, the points aren't just for the room, but all the amenities that go with it. It's a single building, yet has 3 pools and 5 places for food and beverage. And it's completely DVC, so owners have to pay for everything. They aren't sharing costs like BCV or BWV do. While I'm not crazy about the higher points cost, I do understand why. They are pitching it at near the level of VGF for opulence, and looking at the rooms, it does appear to be that way.

Not sure about the points fiasco. I remember there was something, but don't remember any details. What was that all about?

So to caveat all of this, I don't agree with everything they have done, but it looks to us like there is a whole lot more good than bad recently.
Yes I was talking about RR. No matter what the rooms look like, the amount they are asking is too high IMO. Having to use gondolas should've put it same if not lower than BCV or BWV. Definitely not more. Nothing else there is special enough. Given the other 2 stand alone DVC resorts are significantly lower, I'm not sure why you think that makes a difference. It doesn't.

I think if you spend time reading not just here, but elsewhere you will see issues by more than one person. Definitely research the points they were doing last year and you'll see. Some were screaming lawsuit which was a bit much but it was shady to a large amount of people.

We have had good luck with issues lately but not always like you. I'm not as loving of Disney's moves as you are. Nor am I as negative some. Rose colored glasses are off for Mr but I'm not jaded.

They are totally separate just like Yacht Club and Beach Club are totally separate. What is so hard to understand about that? Actually, they are MORE separate since CB people can't use the Riviera pools, but YC and BC share theirs.
I think the analogy of separate like YC & BC is not a great one. More like separate like YC/BC and Boardwalk. One can walk back and forth (or boat0 between YC/BC and Boardwalk. So I think of YC/BC as sister resorts with Boardwalk a Crescent Lake Cousin. So.... I think of CBR and RR as cousin resorts.

durangojim

I think the analogy of separate like YC & BC is not a great one. More like separate like YC/BC and Boardwalk. One can walk back and forth (or boat0 between YC/BC and Boardwalk. So I think of YC/BC as sister resorts with Boardwalk a Crescent Lake Cousin. So.... I think of CBR and RR as cousin resorts.
Especially since YC&BC have the same management and are usually mentioned by Disney as Disney’s Yacht and Beach Club Resort. A better analogy would be the Poly and GF since they are in walking distance to each other and on the same body of water.

Especially since YC&BC have the same management and are usually mentioned by Disney as Disney’s Yacht and Beach Club Resort. A better analogy would be the Poly and GF since they are in walking distance to each other and on the same body of water.
Correct. Just like Y/B and Boardwalk.

DreamalittleDisney

Yeah..:I got it...no pools.

It’s not selling, your thoughts?

My theory: I underestimated the customers...they sniff out a bland, moderate DVC and they aren’t biting at $192 a point.

If so...bravo!
Sorry if been answered but will it be reachable by walking have the closed off paths that used to go to that block of rooms ?

John park hopper

Just got a brochure in the mail advertising come stay at the Riviera be one of the first to stay when it opens in Dec (I'm not a DVC member) is it common practice for Disney to open DVC resorts to the public when their DVC resorts are not sold out? DVC members don't pay a parking fee would a parking fee applied to non DVC renters , do you get housekeeping ?

Last edited:

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Just got a brochure in the mail advertising come stay at the Riviera be one of the first to stay when it opens in Dec (I'm not a DVC member) is it common practice for Disney to open DVC resorts to the public when their DVC resorts are not sold out?
For a new DVC resort, Disney does not declare all of the points as available for purchase right away. For Riviera, they have only declared about 20% of the available points, so only 20% of the rooms can be reserved with points. The other 80% can be reserved only with cash. As points are sold, Disney declares more points for sale, and then the corresponding number of rooms available for cash reservations will shrink. In addition, Disney always retains 2-3% of the rooms for cash reservations, even after all points are sold.

After that, rooms can still be had for cash because some people will use the points they bought at Riviera for a cruise or AbyD, and Disney then uses those rooms for cash reservations to pay for the cruise or AbyD.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Just got a brochure in the mail advertising come stay at the Riviera be one of the first to stay when it opens in Dec (I'm not a DVC member) is it common practice for Disney to open DVC resorts to the public when their DVC resorts are not sold out? DVC members don't pay a parking fee would a parking fee applied to non DVC renters , do you get housekeeping ?

When they came up with this idea...they thought they would be beating the billions of Star Wars fanatics away with sticks...

So why not charge the geekdom $600 a night to “pre-use” a timeshare they’re selling for $25,000 and up?

Makes all the sense in the world, don’t it?

durangojim

So I'm thinking maybe it's not selling so well since Disney Visa cardholders had an offer released today for 40% off from December to March. I took advantage of it and got a 1 bedroom for 3 nights arriving 1/17 for $1600. Not bad.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
So I'm thinking maybe it's not selling so well since Disney Visa cardholders had an offer released today for 40% off from December to March. I took advantage of it and got a 1 bedroom for 3 nights arriving 1/17 for $1600. Not bad.
Yeah I went ahead booked a trip in January staying here as well, opted for he Studio 2 queens. Can't knock it until you've tried it!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom