Is Poly worth the extra money??

slappy magoo

It depends on how much you like your money versus how much you like to give to the Mouse. Personally, I like my money and prefer it to work for me. That is my mind set. If a Deluxe resort is only a little bit more, I will spend the extra. If it is still $350 a night, I am perfectly happy saving $2,000 on my trip.
Then why are you posting on a vacation forum at all? Every dollar you spend on vacation is a dollar that could be working for you.

Hockey89

We just got back and it's the best Disney resort I've ever stayed in. Location was key. We bought DVC there and this was our first trip. The monorail from longhouse Moorea was actually closer to the TTC than the Great Ceremonial House (main lobby). This kind of access to both Epcot and MK is unmatched.
I would say YC, Boardwalk, and BC not only match but pass... Can walk to two parks... Hope the monorail from epcot to MK...

Weather_Lady

If affording the Poly is a financial sacrifice for you (it would be for my family - although staying at the Poly is one of my favorite nevergonnahappen fantasies), I would suggest visiting a moderate resort this time around (POFQ for convenience, or CBR if you want a "quasi-Poly lite" theme but a less convenient resort), and making a dining reservation at the Poly during your visit, after which you can walk around the resort, check out its amenities, and see if you think it would be worth investing in for your next Disney trip. Or, if it works with your budget, consider resort-hopping to the Poly for the last night or two of a trip.

BrianV

At WDW you pay for location and style. A few hotels have both. Poly, has one of the best styles (along with Wilderness Lodge, and supposedly the AKL, which we are only visiting for the first time next trip). Poly also has one of the best locations, easy access to two monorail lines to the two best theme parks.

For me personally, I am partial to the EPCOT hotels as far as location, though none are as cool looking as the Poly. If I can get a decent standard room at the POLY with a 30% discount, I'd stay there. Otherwise, it is not worth it to me.

mrs moon

Original Poster
If affording the Poly is a financial sacrifice for you (it would be for my family - although staying at the Poly is one of my favorite nevergonnahappen fantasies), I would suggest visiting a moderate resort this time around (POFQ for convenience, or CBR if you want a "quasi-Poly lite" theme but a less convenient resort), and making a dining reservation at the Poly during your visit, after which you can walk around the resort, check out its amenities, and see if you think it would be worth investing in for your next Disney trip. Or, if it works with your budget, consider resort-hopping to the Poly for the last night or two of a trip.
Ha.ha ,this is a financial sacrifice ,but i am nearly 60 and just want to experience this once!!..I have walked around and dined there many times and always thought i would love to stay..i booked on impulse and am super excited. I have previously stayed at BC and although i had a great time as always it didn't make me want to run back,strange because i know its a lot of peoples favorite.! ,i also loved the feel of WL but as it has ongoing construction will save that one for another time!!

Unomas

I would say YC, Boardwalk, and BC not only match but pass... Can walk to two parks... Hope the monorail from epcot to MK...

Walking to the studios is really not super convenient and after a few days at the parks, that sounds awful to me. And hopping monorails from Epcot to MK takes quite a bit of time. Plus the monorail from the TTC gets really backed up with people coming in from the parking lots. Sorry, but for my money, two monorails DIRECTLY to Epcot and MK trumps walking distance.

jlsHouston

Hi what are your views on this?...Am i saving hard for something that i could feel just as happy in somewhere cheaper or is the Poly a unique experience!!

AHHH.. well I walked into the POLY in July of 2011 for a character meal at OHANA. The place stole my heart. Even though I stay at the other deluxe resorts Disney has, POLY is probably my favorite. I think it has the best theming, the best food, the best grounds, the largest rooms, the elevators remind me of Hooters in Las Vegas, just seedy enough to make me feel at home, the best parking, a great pool, monorail....
Is POLY worth saving for? I've paid rack room rates at the POLY. I've stayed here 3 times. I always visit the POLY no matter where I stay on property and in my heart even though I am happy elsewhere, I always whisper I wish I was staying here.

andrewsmom

Ha.ha ,this is a financial sacrifice ,but i am nearly 60 and just want to experience this once!!..I have walked around and dined there many times and always thought i would love to stay..i booked on impulse and am super excited. I have previously stayed at BC and although i had a great time as always it didn't make me want to run back,strange because i know its a lot of peoples favorite.! ,i also loved the feel of WL but as it has ongoing construction will save that one for another time!!

Our 1st WDW trip was in 2013 & we stayed at the Poly and loved it. Our next trip was this past Thanksgiving & we stayed at the Beach Club. While we liked the BC (the rooms were fresh, new & beautiful), we really missed the Poly. We're hoping to return to the Poly for our next trip. It's a beautiful resort & I don't think you'll be disappointed at all. I hope you have a great vacation!!

BackOTheLine

Where/how is everyone getting these $350 per night rooms at Poly that I keep reading about??

I just wanted to say that I absolutely love your photo. Gorgeous!
We're going at the end of August and paying under $200 (before taxes and such) per night. We've starting using a travel agency that can get us better rates than our AP at certain times of the year. This will be our second Poly stay. We love to stay at WL but the Poly is growing on us...

jlsHouston

We're going at the end of August and paying under $200 (before taxes and such) per night. We've starting using a travel agency that can get us better rates than our AP at certain times of the year. This will be our second Poly stay. We love to stay at WL but the Poly is growing on us...
I need the name of your agent because I was just pricing end of August dates and the best I could find for standard view with an AP was $379/night.

21stamps

Wow! That's seriously incredible! Can they get discounts on all room types?
I need the name of your agent because I was just pricing end of August dates and the best I could find for standard view with an AP was $379/night.
I need the name too!

epcotisbest

Add me to the list. Less than $200 at the Poly is something I have not seen. Would be quite interested.

EvilQueen-T

We've stayed at the poly several times and always loved it but have also stayed at just about all the resorts on property at this point and all levels (just not camping). I've had a great time everywhere I've stayed. When we pick a place tho we look at who we're traveling with and where we're spending most of our time. If I'm staying at a deluxe resort it's going to be on a trip where we're taking a bit more time at the resort. If I go with just my husband we stay deluxe because he rarely gets to travel for anything other than work and we'll book signature dinners and take time to enjoy the lounges and just the resort itself but if I go with just my granddaughter we'll often stay at a value or moderate resort. We can afford the deluxe resorts at any point in the year but there are times I just can't make myself pay $600 + a night for a hotel room so we'll book places like the poly during more of the off season like when we go in January for my granddaughter's birthday. I think a stay at the poly is at least a bucket list item but if it meant going to disney for 4 days instead of 10 then I'd stay somewhere I can be there longer.

brea

Before I say this know that I and my family have stayed at the Poly for our last two stays and if my wife had her choice it would be for every stay. She says that Disney is for the kids and the poly is for her. That said I think you need to consider your touring plans, needs and desires. The last trip I felt a bit overwhelmed by it all because we paid a lot of money to stay there. This made me feel like NOT going to the parks or making the most of our day was a waste of the money. Couple this with the cutbacks that Disney has been making which were noticeable and I found myself wondering regularly if the juice was worth the squeeze. This resort is wonderful and without consideration of money would be my top pick every time.

On our next trip we will be staying at POR for a group stay and I'm looking forward to having the comparison to make of monorail resort vs. non.

BrianV

Before I say this know that I and my family have stayed at the Poly for our last two stays and if my wife had her choice it would be for every stay. She says that Disney is for the kids and the poly is for her. That said I think you need to consider your touring plans, needs and desires. The last trip I felt a bit overwhelmed by it all because we paid a lot of money to stay there. This made me feel like NOT going to the parks or making the most of our day was a waste of the money. Couple this with the cutbacks that Disney has been making which were noticeable and I found myself wondering regularly if the juice was worth the squeeze. This resort is wonderful and without consideration of money would be my top pick every time.

On our next trip we will be staying at POR for a group stay and I'm looking forward to having the comparison to make of monorail resort vs. non.

I agree that if you pay a lot for the hotel you want to spend time there. It really is a catch 22. Stay in a motel 8 and you want to spend as little time as possible.

Off topic, but I'm curious what cut backs did you notice? The increases in pricing is what I noticed most my last trip. We had dessert buffet reservations last March a year ago and it was still the cheaper price. At the higher price I'm tapped out.

jlsHouston

I agree that if you pay a lot for the hotel you want to spend time there. It really is a catch 22. Stay in a motel 8 and you want to spend as little time as possible.

Off topic, but I'm curious what cut backs did you notice? The increases in pricing is what I noticed most my last trip. We had dessert buffet reservations last March a year ago and it was still the cheaper price. At the higher price I'm tapped out.
Everything is higher. The cheapest room category to the food prices. Every time we sat down for a TS meal it was close to $300 bucks with tip, 3 adults and 2 kids. QS meals ranged from 60-100 per meal. Merchandise prices were a little higher too.
And it's true service has been hit or miss. At least at the parks and the two Deluxe resorts we stayed.
I don't think the do mosquito abatement at the resorts any longer. The resort housekeeping doesn't do the cute towel animals anymore , the alarm clocks are truly gone, GF had no concierge it's combined with Front Desk, and getting coffee packets for the in room brewer to make more than a cup a day is met with open reluctance.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom