Is it time to allow well behave dogs in the resorts?

jav

In this time and age families travel with their pets but it's a shame that you have to house them somewhere else. Disney should set aside some rooms as pet friendly, say a bldg at Old Key West, Saratoga Springs, or Treehouse Villas, where you could be away from guest who don't like pets. Some of these rooms on the first floor already have a patio with grass. There are thousands of pet friendly restaurants and hotels around the country and we choose those businesses over the ones that are not, surprisingly they are quieter and cleaner. How many times you go to a restaurant and a kid is climbing over the booth, screaming, or if in a hotel they wake you up at 5am from the room above or next door jumping, screaming. Business that have tried this have increased their business and customers keep coming back.

CAPTAIN HOOK

What defines a "well behaved" dog ??

One that is quiet ?? One that doesn't "pooh" unless told ?? One that uses the correct cutlery in the correct order while sitting at the dining table ??

No matter how well behaved the dog - its the thoughtless owners that I don't want to encounter on my holidays. The one that thinks that its only a small "pooh" and just leave it on the middle of Main Street USA, or the one that allows their dog to "pooh" in the resort room and tucks it under the bed for the next guest to find.

NO THANK YOU - Animals are like small children and totally unpredictable

Go to WDW, enjoy yourself but leave Pongo at home or in the kennels.

Upvote 0

bugsbunny

Let me preface this by saying I have 2 dogs. One sleeps in bed with us and the other under it.

Most parents can't even fathom that their children are ill behaved demons. I can't even imagine the horrors of ill behaved pets at WDW. But if they do allow pets, we can finally pair up the parents that like to put leashes on their own children and have them walk around with the pets. :ROFLOL: (Yeah, I know...your kid just bolts off without notice, blah, blah, blah. Uh...raise your kid to respect boundaries...period)

But to give you an example of "well behaved" owners and pets: My next door neighbor has 3 dogs. He's bred one of them 3 times now in less than 2 years. He sees no problem with it. He also keeps them in a 20 x 20 area that has no grass and reeks of p and poo. Two males and 1 female...none are neutered. He scoops the poo into a bag and then HANGS it on the front yard fence for it to waif down the street. The dogs are left out all day (rain or shine) and bark at EVERYTHING non stop.

I had to explain to him that you at least put down lime to break up the ammonia smell of the p; your dogs bark all day and I can't even sit at my kitchen table because it faces them; that breeding more than even once a year is dangerous to a dog; and that hanging a bag of poo on your fence is revolting...at best.

He thinks his dogs are super well behaved and he doesnt hear them bark. His gauging of good behavior is that if he puts a shock collar on them, they will sit still and not run away. :hammer:

Any question of what/when a pet owner thinks they are great and that their animals are well behaved? Would you want these THREE dogs next door your hotel room? And how would you want them, with or without shock collars?

Good behavior is in the eye of the beholder. I had to put up with Pop Warner kids at my last stay at Pop. Those animals were enough!

Upvote 0

mydogipluto

We take Pluto to WDW but stay in FW. He travels in our MH a lot but I have to leave the parks in mid-day to walk him. I can't imagine most people would do that (I have missed a few days, thank God that Pluto has an iron bladder!).

I think leaving a dog/cat in a random room all day with no human contact (excpet the daring maid) would be bad for the pet.

BTW, Pluto is also "well behaved" but does have an issue with random dogs. Last thing we need is a dog fight in the hallway of a hotel.

Kennel the pets or stay at FW.

Upvote 0

DisneyWall-E

Let me preface this by saying I have 2 dogs. One sleeps in bed with us and the other under it.

Most parents can't even fathom that their children are ill behaved demons. I can't even imagine the horrors of ill behaved pets at WDW. But if they do allow pets, we can finally pair up the parents that like to put leashes on their own children and have them walk around with the pets. :ROFLOL: (Yeah, I know...your kid just bolts off without notice, blah, blah, blah. Uh...raise your kid to respect boundaries...period)
But to give you an example of "well behaved" owners and pets: My next door neighbor has 3 dogs. He's bred one of them 3 times now in less than 2 years. He sees no problem with it. He also keeps them in a 20 x 20 area that has no grass and reeks of p and poo. Two males and 1 female...none are neutered. He scoops the poo into a bag and then HANGS it on the front yard fence for it to waif down the street. The dogs are left out all day (rain or shine) and bark at EVERYTHING non stop.

I had to explain to him that you at least put down lime to break up the ammonia smell of the p; your dogs bark all day and I can't even sit at my kitchen table because it faces them; that breeding more than even once a year is dangerous to a dog; and that hanging a bag of poo on your fence is revolting...at best.

He thinks his dogs are super well behaved and he doesnt hear them bark. His gauging of good behavior is that if he puts a shock collar on them, they will sit still and not run away. :hammer:

Any question of what/when a pet owner thinks they are great and that their animals are well behaved? Would you want these THREE dogs next door your hotel room? And how would you want them, with or without shock collars?

Good behavior is in the eye of the beholder. I had to put up with Pop Warner kids at my last stay at Pop. Those animals were enough!

Troll. This thread was doing just fine till you brought that up. Keep parenting comments to youself. Trust me when I say most people on this board dont know you well enough to want to take advice about raising there children from you.:rolleyes:

Upvote 0

AEfx

Troll. This thread was doing just fine till you brought that up. Keep parenting comments to youself. Trust me when I say most people on this board dont know you well enough to want to take advice about raising there children from you.:rolleyes:

Ouch. Looks like he hit a nerve LOL.

:ROFLOL:

Upvote 0

Club Cooloholic

Lets put it this way. If Disney built another hotel somewhere on the property, with a little dog park and pet sitting etc as part of it, maybe even a dog theme, I think they would have NO problem filling it. So maybe a seprate all rooms dog friendly hotel is in order

A vast majority of the negative responses on here are from people who would never dream of bringing a dog on a vacation, but there is a reason fine hotels like The W allow dogs. Disney could also add limits if they wanted such as dogs under 50 pounds ect and certain breeds not allowed if they wished. Would this weed out all bad dogs, no, and exclude some good ones,yes, but the peope staying at the hotel know what they are getting into.

I just wish people would stop acting like was something that was insane! I can book a room at the W on Union Square in NY right now and bring my pug with me. Seems fair to think I should be able to do the same at a resort in the middle of central florida.

Upvote 0

stratman50th

Lets put it this way. If Disney built another hotel somewhere on the property, with a little dog park and pet sitting etc as part of it, maybe even a dog theme, I think they would have NO problem filling it. So maybe a seprate all rooms dog friendly hotel is in order

A vast majority of the negative responses on here are from people who would never dream of bringing a dog on a vacation, but there is a reason fine hotels like The W allow dogs. Disney could also add limits if they wanted such as dogs under 50 pounds ect and certain breeds not allowed if they wished. Would this weed out all bad dogs, no, and exclude some good ones,yes, but the peope staying at the hotel know what they are getting into.

I just wish people would stop acting like was something that was insane! I can book a room at the W on Union Square in NY right now and bring my pug with me. Seems fair to think I should be able to do the same at a resort in the middle of central florida.
You seem to be missing the point everyone is making. It's more than having a pet in the room. It's about warehousing an animal all day long while the owner is in the parks. Is the owner going to be back at the room every day with the animal on a leash outside when housekeeping is cleaning up? Like another member said, what if it's ferrets, large snakes, pot bellied pigs, iguanas, a cockatoo? Where do you draw the line. Also, aren't most of the pet friendly hotels and resorts expecting the owners to be around the room, or at least near by? Disney wants you out of the room all day spending money. This has already been said, well I guess all of it has already been said, but what happens if the animal gets loose while the owner is away? Who's responsibility is it to chase it down? What if it gets hit by a bus after it escapes? Who's liable? What if it's an alternative pet, like an 8ft Burmese Python and it get's loose and decides fluffy next door would make a really cool snack? Before we limit it to cats and dogs only, who gets to make that rule? Wouldn't it be discriminatory against other pets?
Just a few questions to ponder......

Upvote 0

bugsbunny

Here's the difference. The W is a high class snobatorium that caters to high end clients that have eccentric behavior that includes taking their precious animal with them wherever they go. The hotel looks the other way on this behavior in prefer to collect in on the $1000/night they can charge. On the other hand, if I am on my one vacation a year with my family at we wdw, the last thing I want to put up with after a 15 hour car ride is hearing a little 8 lbs dog yip yip yipping next door in the room while you are out doing whatever. If you can afford The W, you can afford a kennel.

Size has NOTHING to do with behavior in an animal. Ruling out bigger animals might lower liability if it bites, but if it does, your just a crappy pet owner and size isn't going to matter. In fact most of the "needy" dogs that like to be destructive our start barking when left alone are the smaller dogs.

Upvote 0

bugsbunny

How about some shackles? Where do you draw the line? And why is it NEVER something the parents are doing wrong?

Upvote 0

Club Cooloholic

Here's the difference. The W is a high class snobatorium that caters to high end clients that have eccentric behavior that includes taking their precious animal with them wherever they go. The hotel looks the other way on this behavior in prefer to collect in on the $1000/night they can charge. On the other hand, if I am on my one vacation a year with my family at we wdw, the last thing I want to put up with after a 15 hour car ride is hearing a little 8 lbs dog yip yip yipping next door in the room while you are out doing whatever. If you can afford The W, you can afford a kennel.

Size has NOTHING to do with behavior in an animal. Ruling out bigger animals might lower liability if it bites, but if it does, your just a crappy pet owner and size isn't going to matter. In fact most of the "needy" dogs that like to be destructive our start barking when left alone are the smaller dogs.

Not every hotel with a dog policy is on the level of a W.
Is a Quality Inn a little too high standard as well?

Ok...If Disney put up a hotel that was catered to guests with dogs, they would have no problem filling it. They get people to shell out over 400 dollars a night to stay at something like the Poly, because it sits on a body of water you can't swim in, has some decent restaurants, and a monorail, because it's important to them to have that stuff. You can get the same people who love their dogs them to shell the same bucks for a place that accomdates them. This is simply an idea on how the company could cater to one group of guests and make money.
As for all the people wondering what do the dogs do while staying? The rooms could have crates, the owners could have to pay for an onsite doggie day care, they could have to pay for dog sitters to walk the dogs every few hours there is no shortage of ways to solve this. I am posting a list of the policys other hotels use. And not all of them are W's
http://www.pettravel.com/passports_hotelchainpol.cfm

Upvote 0

Club Cooloholic

How about some shackles? Where do you draw the line? And why is it NEVER something the parents are doing wrong?
While I am not a parent that teathers their kid, I have known some that do, and used to think it looked crazy till I had a child of my own, so now I can understand where they come from. Did you ever consider that the parent does not want to lose sight of their kid and have them kidnapped or get hurt? Some kids are just like to run or wander. You can tell them to stay etc, but they think its fun to take off or just wanter because they don't pay attention.

Upvote 0

thewhitequeen

It's actually a pretty middle of the road hotel and far from snobby. Matter of fact, I can't think of any hotels in NYC that have a high snob factor (and I've stayed in many). Anywho, I do think there is a difference between someone bringing a 10 lb pug and a 100 lb rottweiler. An adult pug or yorkie is much less likely to do damage than a huge dog and they also have much less hair to shed all over the place.

A lot of the city hotels (specifically NYC) allow dogs because the area is generally "dog friendly" and there are many ways to get your dog exercised if you are going to be away for the day. They have pet sitters, dog walkers, and daycares all within a reasonable distance. A theme park vacation is much different than visiting NYC for a couple of nights.

Upvote 0

MaryJaneP

The only insanity is ever considering heading down this slippery slope. First all the whiny pet owners want their "pets" in the hotel (and doesn't being caged all day in a room sound so wonderful?) Next thing you know, they want to bring their treasured animal into the parks. For all of the allergy, loose animals, yippy bag dogs, and ________ problems, I will plead again, no, please God, no!

Upvote 0

dizzney

We have a wonderful dog, shih tzu yorkie mix, absultely adore her, BUT i would never bring her to Disney. First the long car ride is difficult, and not fair to her. And then leaving her in our DVC villa during the day? Not fair.

I prefer to leave her at home either with my sister or board her at our vet's its better for her, she doesnt deserve the 20 hour drive or being locked up during the day.

Lets not even discuss the ________ issues or barking, whats actually fair for the dogs???

Upvote 0

stratman50th

I think this is a pretty fair representation, or unscientific poll.
The numbers seem to reflect a consensus. If this was a poll of the general public you would probably see the same statistics, just on a larger scale.
This is an even better sample as everyone on this site is a Disney nut and are known to frequent the property. If this many people are against pets in the resorts, and on the property in general, and we know they will definitely return, and many have pets that they would not be willing to keep them in the room regardless of permission. That seems to be the answer. Even pet owners with the exception of a very few die-hards do not want their animals in the rooms, or to be in a room that previously had an animal in it. I truly don't think Disney would be willing to open the resorts to pets, and I'm willing to bet they've already done the research in a more thorough manner than we've done here. Obviously there has been some thought because they already have nice kennels on property and you can have pets at Fort Wilderness.

Upvote 0

OklaHoops

dogs at WDW

Oh I don't think so!! I love my dogs and they are extremely clean and I would not take the chance of anything happening at WDW! Besides its not right for those with allergies and what about those breeds who shed?:hammer:

Upvote 0

MansionGoer13z

This thread still has not addressed the Pet Rock issue? Where the heck is Timmy's pet rock "Rocky" gonna stay when Timmy is enjoying Dumbo the Flying Elephant for the 5th time in a row? And will Disney be able to accomodate Rocky supplying him with a rock bed at the hotel resort?

Upvote 0

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
If you can not live one week without your dog or cat, Disney already offers boarding for animals and you can visit them there! No to the hotels and parks.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom