Rumor Is Indiana Jones Planning an Adventure to Disney's Animal Kingdom?

doctornick

It may just be me, and it probably isn’t on the table, but I believe the Indiana Jones IP could make a really great thrilling boat ride to go along with a ride similar to Disneyland’s but different for the sake of being unique. That being said I believe Indiana Jones could fit in AK or DHS. DHS is kind of a dumping ground for popular IPs so why not Dr Jones. Those 2 rides would make a really nice enjoyable land.

Many of us have suggested that the Shanghai POTC tech would mesh very well with an IJ attraction.

njDizFan

This is 100% true... until you take off your everything-was-better-when-Walt-Disney-was-alive glasses and realize that we now are starting to see a level of immersive theming that had never been conceived of when the Disney parks first started. Everyone loves to tear apart the smallest use of creative license these days, but nobody seemed to care that Polynesian birds, Caribbean pirates, and jungle animals all live peacefully together in a land that is supposed to have a cohesive theme. Not that I don’t like Adventureland (or Fantasyland or Tomorrowland, for that matter), but let’s not pretend that the standards for themed entertainment have been getting lower!
Polynesian birds, Caribbean pirates and a cruise through the jungle are a cohesive theme. I think you may be confusing setting for theme.

DisneyDodo

Polynesian birds, Caribbean pirates and a cruise through the jungle are a cohesive theme. I think you may be confusing setting for theme.
No, I'm not confusing anything. "Pirates," "jungle," and "island" are unique and separate themes, regardless of the exact setting. Yes, you can group them all together under an "adventure" theme (as Walt did), but that "theme" is extremely broad, and could fit just about anything (which is how we have come to get an archaeology-inspired attraction added to Adventureland in DL and a magic carpet ride added in MK.

(To reiterate, this is not to say that I don't like Adventureland. If the theming of every land were so rigid, Disney would be very limited in what types of attractions they could add to the parks.)

Daveeeeed

Shanghai's POTC tech is epic, but it would have to have a totally different approach than IJA.
Now, here's not to say that Shanghai's tech is one of the best on the planet, it is, but I think it would have to have a more EMV type upgrade to be similar to the frantic and 'high-stakes' IJA. They could go for a different type of ride which could still work great, but the ride itself has to be looked at completely differently than IJA.

azox

The queue is excellent and it does move (assuming all four theaters are operating). But it shouldn't be hitting 3 hours on average crowd days. Disney's recent history has seen underbuilt (from a capacity standpoint) rides going into the parks. I fear that Star Wars will face the same problems.

I also suspect that the don't distribute as many FP+ for FoP to help with the standby queue.

FOP hit 5 hrs the day we were there in september. It started out as 2 hrs and then they had technical issues as we were in line and it moved slowly. Even though they would get on and say your wait may be more than expected you never really knew how long it would be and how many more rooms you had to wait through. It was a great ride, but not 5hrs great. For now they should just pull all FP's from the ride until they have it running all of the time. This way when a link chamber goes down it they don't have to deal with fulfilling the FP's as well as the standby line.

njDizFan

No, I'm not confusing anything. "Pirates," "jungle," and "island" are unique and separate themes, regardless of the exact setting. Yes, you can group them all together under an "adventure" theme (as Walt did), but that "theme" is extremely broad, and could fit just about anything (which is how we have come to get an archaeology-inspired attraction added to Adventureland in DL and a magic carpet ride added in MK.

(To reiterate, this is not to say that I don't like Adventureland. If the theming of every land were so rigid, Disney would be very limited in what types of attractions they could add to the parks.)
Obviously the magic carpet ride is both aesthetically and thematically inappropriate but Indy is most certainly an adventure tale. Once again location certainly does not make for theme, although it intrinsically has aesthetic appeal. For example Star Wars I would deem an adventure type attraction but visually it may not fit.

Just because the 3 attractions you bring up are in different locations does not mean they are not the same theme. Adventueland as a whole has one of the strongest successful theming in the MK.

AK has from the onset has kept to it's core values and theming more than any other park outside of the DisneySea. I would hate to see it deluded just because it's a visual match and/or can be massaged into the theme.

And BTW, "jungle", and "island" are certainly not themes, they are a location. It gets convoluted by the expression of the art. If you use a different medium it is easier to explain. If a filmmaker created 3 moves set on a desert island or a photographer decided to do a series on the tropics you may be quick to say this is their foray into an island theme. But if you dig deeper into the larger arc of the story, the setting is only the place where the artist can explore his/her thoughts on isolation or mans' connection to the rest of the world etc. Placesetting is used to externalize the theme not the context.

DisneyDodo

Obviously the magic carpet ride is both aesthetically and thematically inappropriate but Indy is most certainly an adventure tale. Once again location certainly does not make for theme, although it intrinsically has aesthetic appeal. For example Star Wars I would deem an adventure type attraction but visually it may not fit.

Just because the 3 attractions you bring up are in different locations does not mean they are not the same theme. Adventueland as a whole has one of the strongest successful theming in the MK.

AK has from the onset has kept to it's core values and theming more than any other park outside of the DisneySea. I would hate to see it deluded just because it's a visual match and/or can be massaged into the theme.

And BTW, "jungle", and "island" are certainly not themes, they are a location. It gets convoluted by the expression of the art. If you use a different medium it is easier to explain. If a filmmaker created 3 moves set on a desert island or a photographer decided to do a series on the tropics you may be quick to say this is their foray into an island theme. But if you dig deeper into the larger arc of the story, the setting is only the place where the artist can explore his/her thoughts on isolation or mans' connection to the rest of the world etc. Placesetting is used to externalize the theme not the context.
I can make this very simple.

Your son is invited to an island-themed birthday party. You:
a) dress him up in a Hawaiian shirt and lei
b) dress him up in an eye patch and pirate hat
c) dress him up in big ears and an elephant trunk
d) refuse to let him go because "island" is not a theme

The correct answer is a.
If you choose b or c, your son will probably get made fun of and he will hate you. If you choose d, your son will probably have FOMO and he will hate you. If you don't want your son to hate you, please choose a.

In all seriousness, you are contradicting yourself. You claim that setting and theme are mutually exclusive, yet you praise AK for its theming. Is the theme of the Africa land in AK not Africa (which is a location)? The thing that connects Kilimanjaro Safaris, FOLK, and the Gorilla Falls Exploration Trail, for example, is that they all contain animals from the same location. We can probably agree that adding in an attraction about penguins would be a violation of theme, as penguins are not found in Africa. This is not to say that the words theme and setting are interchangeable - themes come in many forms and it's of course possible to have a theme that does not denote any type of location at all. However, I 100% stand by the assertion that a setting (i.e. a location and its associations) can be a theme. That is all I have to say on this matter and I will not be commenting further.

njDizFan

The correct answer is a.
If you choose b or c, your son will probably get made fun of and he will hate you. If you choose d, your son will probably have FOMO and he will hate you. If you don't want your son to hate you, please choose a.

In all seriousness, you are contradicting yourself. You claim that setting and theme are mutually exclusive, yet you praise AK for its theming. Is the theme of the Africa land in AK not Africa (which is a location)? The thing that connects Kilimanjaro Safaris, FOLK, and the Gorilla Falls Exploration Trail, for example, is that they all contain animals from the same location. We can probably agree that adding in an attraction about penguins would be a violation of theme, as penguins are not found in Africa. This is not to say that the words theme and setting are interchangeable - themes come in many forms and it's of course possible to have a theme that does not denote any type of location at all. However, I 100% stand by the assertion that a setting (i.e. a location and its associations) can be a theme. That is all I have to say on this matter and I will not be commenting further.
I'll leave this as my last post on this well. But no Africa is not the theme. The MK is unique(along with the front and back of Epcot), where they have separate lands with different themes. Africa/Asia etc. all have the same theme. Man's place in nature and the importance of conserving it's resources(flora and fauna). They just use design technics to showcase that theme in different parts of the world.

Pixieish

Here are my thoughts on "theme"...

I'm sure we all remember well Ralphie's reaction to Miss Shields assigning the class a "theme" to write in A Christmas Story. The thing with "theme" is that it's open to various interpretations, making it difficult to know what one person's true expectations are in comparison to another's. When we are unable to specifically ask a creator what "theme" they had in mind during the creative process, we are left trying to guess what the original intention was.

Honestly, I prefer a broad theme...similar to what Walt chose in Adventureland...simply because it leaves so many more options open. Where I think Walt was truly a master was in how he placed these (mostly) unrelated "themed" lands immediately next to each other, but at the same time was able to avoid the dissolution of the feeling that they are each their own separate world.

I've seen many people rave about AK being the most consistently themed park at WDW, but I really find walking into the area in DinoLand with the games, Primeval Whirl and Triceratops Spin to be the most visually and auditorily jarring part of any of the parks at WDW, while the rest of DinoLand fits in quite nicely.

I really feel that Indy is an apt choice for AK...there is much overlap between archaeology and paleontology, so it wouldn't be beyond the realm of possibility for Indy to be looking for some highly rare dinosaur bone or some such similar story in order to prevent a "bad guy" from getting his hands on it.

lazyboy97o

The correct answer is a.

Do you insist a square is not a rectangle?

Robbiem

Shanghai's POTC tech is epic, but it would have to have a totally different approach than IJA.
Now, here's not to say that Shanghai's tech is one of the best on the planet, it is, but I think it would have to have a more EMV type upgrade to be similar to the frantic and 'high-stakes' IJA. They could go for a different type of ride which could still work great, but the ride itself has to be looked at completely differently than IJA.

A ride based on this tech would be a great addition to WDW. Ideally I'd like to see Indy added as a land at DHS with this, a new version of the Indiana jones adventure and maybe a coaster, although the tech would make a great Dino ride for animal kingdom

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom