Rumor Is Indiana Jones Planning an Adventure to Disney's Animal Kingdom?

Disneyhead'71

There is no need to force anything. Putting up Batman posters is not the same as building the Bat Cave.
So, is playing the score soundtrack from The Dark Knight in the Bat Cave we built "decor"? What about the bat guano scented candle I picked up at Yankee Candle?

It really could be something as simple as Indy exploring a pyramid temple honoring Jaguar Sun God, Tepeyollotl.

PizzaPlanet

I think Pixar Pier is an excellent concept that will appeal to a broader scope and through this increase recognition. The current Paradise Pier doesn't really offer a lot in relation to theming and thus by labelling it as Pixar Pier it creates an element of recognition and understanding, as everyone has viewed or heard of at least one Pixar movie.
Paradise Pier does have a theme, it's a romanticized depiction of California piers and boardwalks in their heyday. Linking properties together because they were created by the same studio is an extremely weak way of making a land cohesive. A Pixar themed land may work in the context of a studio park, but not here.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
This reminds me of the debate over whether the birds of Flights of Wonder do 'tricks'... it all depends on how you define 'trick.'

And this is people talking past each other because of their differing definitions of 'theme.' When a single word has multiple meanings and people stake out only one of those meanings as valid... then you'll never agree.

There are amusement parks that paint a rollercoaster red and blue and call it a Superman ride. And they'll tell you that it's 'themed.' And in one sense of the word it is, in another sense, it's not.

There's decorative theming, immersive environment theming, role-playing theming, categorical theming ('fantasy', 'adventure', 'animals'), and many other ways to 'theme' a park and attraction.

It'd be better to talk about the level and type of theming rather than a binary themed or not-themed.

lazyboy97o

This reminds me of the debate over whether the birds of Flights of Wonder do 'tricks'... it all depends on how you define 'trick.'

And this is people talking past each other because of their differing definitions of 'theme.' When a single word has multiple meanings and people stake out only one of those meanings as valid... then you'll never agree.

There are amusement parks that paint a rollercoaster red and blue and call it a Superman ride. And they'll tell you that it's 'themed.' And in one sense of the word it is, in another sense, it's not.

There's decorative theming, immersive environment theming, role-playing theming, categorical theming ('fantasy', 'adventure', 'animals'), and many other ways to 'theme' a park and attraction.

It'd be better to talk about the level and type of theming rather than a binary themed or not-themed.
Six Flags is hardly taken seriously as themed entertainment. Themed entertainment being a storytelling medium is really not something that is disputed.

FigmentForver96

The key word is "theme."

You remind me of one those critics who tries to force a "meaning" into every work of art, when the artist's intent was merely to crank out a painting so she could buy some bread and cheese for supper.
Disney parks started as a work of art. There was reason behind everything and how it fit with its surroundings rather then just being thrown down. That's a new thing.

Cameron1529

Paradise Pier does have a theme, it's a romanticized depiction of California piers and boardwalks in their heyday. Linking properties together because they were created by the same studio is an extremely weak way of making a land cohesive. A Pixar themed land may work in the context of a studio park, but not here.

My point is exactly that very few people (your average person walking into Disney Land) would even know what it is designed and themed as and even I believe care for what it is designed after. I probably should not have said 'lacking an overall theme' more so 'lacking a recognisable theme'. Personally I think it is very interesting the back story and theming of the lands, however Disney needs to appeal to the masses not just those engrossed in Disney and theming.

To boost attendance and further Disney's appeal, I think this is the step to take. What other alternatives would be in the bag for Paradise Pier, if Pixar Pier is not the suitable option?

CalebS

It may just be me, and it probably isn’t on the table, but I believe the Indiana Jones IP could make a really great thrilling boat ride to go along with a ride similar to Disneyland’s but different for the sake of being unique. That being said I believe Indiana Jones could fit in AK or DHS. DHS is kind of a dumping ground for popular IPs so why not Dr Jones. Those 2 rides would make a really nice enjoyable land.

Cameron1529

It may just be me, and it probably isn’t on the table, but I believe the Indiana Jones IP could make a really great thrilling boat ride to go along with a ride similar to Disneyland’s but different for the sake of being unique. That being said I believe Indiana Jones could fit in AK or DHS. DHS is kind of a dumping ground for popular IPs so why not Dr Jones. Those 2 rides would make a really nice enjoyable land.

Interesting concept. A boat ride would definitely work but I think in order to appeal to DIS fans and maintain the level and expectation that Navi River Journey set, they have to innovate and really mix it up with new technology and ideas. DHS probably wouldn't be on the cards after Star Wars and Toy Story Land. Animal Kingdom does seem like the most appropriate location. This then raises question in regards to the Indiana Jones show at DHS?

DisneyDodo

Disney parks started as a work of art. There was reason behind everything and how it fit with its surroundings rather then just being thrown down. That's a new thing.
This is 100% true... until you take off your everything-was-better-when-Walt-Disney-was-alive glasses and realize that we now are starting to see a level of immersive theming that had never been conceived of when the Disney parks first started. Everyone loves to tear apart the smallest use of creative license these days, but nobody seemed to care that Polynesian birds, Caribbean pirates, and jungle animals all live peacefully together in a land that is supposed to have a cohesive theme. Not that I don’t like Adventureland (or Fantasyland or Tomorrowland, for that matter), but let’s not pretend that the standards for themed entertainment have been getting lower!

Pixieish

This is 100% true... until you take off your everything-was-better-when-Walt-Disney-was-alive glasses and realize that we now are starting to see a level of immersive theming that had never been conceived of when the Disney parks first started. Everyone loves to tear apart the smallest use of creative license these days, but nobody seemed to care that Polynesian birds, Caribbean pirates, and jungle animals all live peacefully together in a land that is supposed to have a cohesive theme. Not that I don’t like Adventureland (or Fantasyland or Tomorrowland, for that matter), but let’s not pretend that the standards for themed entertainment have been getting lower!

I don't think they've been getting lower at all. What I think has been happening though is that it's being used very selectively. Pandora, TSL and SW:GE are all going to be beautifully themed lands, but look at FW in Epcot and Paradise Pier...it seems as though they're going to end up a random mish-mash of things.

PizzaPlanet

My point is exactly that very few people (your average person walking into Disney Land) would even know what it is designed and themed as and even I believe care for what it is designed after. I probably should not have said 'lacking an overall theme' more so 'lacking a recognisable theme'. Personally I think it is very interesting the back story and theming of the lands, however Disney needs to appeal to the masses not just those engrossed in Disney and theming.

To boost attendance and further Disney's appeal, I think this is the step to take. What other alternatives would be in the bag for Paradise Pier, if Pixar Pier is not the suitable option?
Appeal to the masses? :facepalm: Walt Disney created this industry by giving the "masses" what they didn't know they wanted, so that should never be an excuse for anything. Sure, not everyone will recognize exactly what Paradise Pier is supposed to be, but will at the very least appreciate the charm and thought put into it.

DisneyDodo

I don't think they've been getting lower at all. What I think has been happening though is that it's being used very selectively. Pandora, TSL and SW:GE are all going to be beautifully themed lands, but look at FW in Epcot and Paradise Pier...it seems as though they're going to end up a random mish-mash of things.
I won’t get into the whole FW debate because that is likely to derail this thread into chaos. As for Paradise/Pixar Pier, there is certainly a problem, but poor theming is not it. In fact, I would argue that right now Paradise Pier’s problem stems from it being too well themed. TSMM is a great example of the type of attraction that belongs there - a ride that incorporates boardwalk/carnival theming into it. However, most of the attractions are things you would actually see at a carnival on a boardwalk. While this may help create an authentic California boardwalk feel, it does not create a unique, memorable experience. Instead of using theming to facilitate fun, Disney has essentially used theming as an excuse to replace the fun (really, Disney just wanted to get a ton of rides in to their new park as cheaply as possible). They could change this area into Pixar Pier, Princess Pier, Puppy Pier, or Potato Pier, but unless they actually replace the cheap attractions (and not just repaint them or slap some characters’ faces on them), it’s never going to be an especially impressive area.

Pixieish

I won’t get into the whole FW debate because that is likely to derail this thread into chaos. As for Paradise/Pixar Pier, there is certainly a problem, but poor theming is not it. In fact, I would argue that right now Paradise Pier’s problem stems from it being too well themed. TSMM is a great example of the type of attraction that belongs there - a ride that incorporates boardwalk/carnival theming into it. However, most of the attractions are things you would actually see at a carnival on a boardwalk. While this may help create an authentic California boardwalk feel, it does not create a unique, memorable experience. Instead of using theming to facilitate fun, Disney has essentially used theming as an excuse to replace the fun (really, Disney just wanted to get a ton of rides in to their new park as cheaply as possible). They could change this area into Pixar Pier, Princess Pier, Puppy Pier, or Potato Pier, but unless they actually replace the cheap attractions (and not just repaint them or slap some characters’ faces on them), it’s never going to be an especially impressive area.
I hear ya there - and earlier, I compared changing it to Pixar Pier the equivalent of taking the decor from the All-Star Resorts and slapping them on a theme park.

FigmentForver96

Except I was talking about Magic Kingdom Orlando, EPCOT Center etc.,so the after Walt era. Immersion doesn't equal theme. Just because I'm going to shrink to the size of a toy and be in Andys backyard doesn't mean the "theme" is quality. Quality came from places like EPCOT Center where the "theme" of Future World was the achievement of man and the vision of tomorrow.

lazyboy97o

What could be done? Tell a good, consistent story. The Good Dinosaur would not magically become a better movie by dropping in Buzz and Woody.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom