Rumor Is Indiana Jones Planning an Adventure to Disney's Animal Kingdom?

shortstop

Indy hosting a conservation-centric ride feels patronizing in exactly the same way GOTG hosting an Energy-centric ride would be if that is what happens there. Trying to shoehorn a character or IP into a place where it doesn’t fit, and then revising the IP to try to fit the mission of the park, is a slap in the face to guests, the IP, and the park.

Last edited:

DisneyDodo

It is not a themed experience but themed decor. It is a theme in the way pictures of the beach make a bathroom “beach themed,” it is not how theme operates within the context of themed entertainment. The connection is in something external, production and ownership, and not within the actual experience itself.
I definitely see your point and agree with your assertions. However, I don’t think that breaking from tradition in this case is necessarily a bad thing. While there is technically nothing internal connecting the different Pixar IPs (Pixar theories and Easter eggs, nonwithstanding), these IPs are all associated with the recognizable brand of Pixar, and therefore many fans naturally do connect them, at least subconsciously. So from the guests’ perspectives, they still feel like they are in a land with a unified theme

lazyboy97o

I definitely see your point and agree with your assertions. However, I don’t think that breaking from tradition in this case is necessarily a bad thing. While there is technically nothing internal connecting the different Pixar IPs (Pixar theories and Easter eggs, nonwithstanding), these IPs are all associated with the recognizable brand of Pixar, and therefore many fans naturally do connect them, at least subconsciously. So from the guests’ perspectives, they still feel like they are in a land with a unified theme
It’s not an issue of whether or not people associate them with each other. You’re still describing an external reference.

bclane

I still think the best way to incorporate Indy into AK is for him encounter a civilization in the jungles of Asia or South America, that worships, Dinos...which he finds are still living in the "modern" world as they have either been hidden away in an underground realm or on an island etc. This way, you can get rid of Chester and Hester, keep Dinosaurs, bring them back to life without going back in time, and can add a super immersive land they kills us all with it's pure awesomeness. And since he is there to study a civilization and only discovers the dinos by coincidence, you can have this without rewriting Indy's character or what archaeologists do.

lazyboy97o

I still think the best way to incorporate Indy into AK is for him encounter a civilization in the jungles of Asia or South America, that worships, Dinos...which he finds are still living in the "modern" world as they have either been hidden away in an underground realm or on an island etc. This way, you can get rid of Chester and Hester, keep Dinosaurs, bring them back to life without going back in time, and can add a super immersive land they kills us all with it's pure awesomeness. And since he is there to study a civilization and only discovers the dinos by coincidence, you can have this without rewriting Indy's character or what archaeologists do.
But why force in the middle man in the first place? That’s the whole problem with the “use [character] to show us [subject]” premise.

bclane

But why force in the middle man in the first place? That’s the whole problem with the “use [character] to show us [subject]” premise.
I don't like forcing things into the parks that don't fit either, but to me adding Indy they way I suggest isn't forcing anything. Of course, it's just an opinion. But to me, they seem to want to replace Chester & Hester based on the rumors (and I agree they should), they want to keep dinosaurs in the park (which they should), and they want to up Indy's presence, because...http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/indiana-jones-named-greatest-movie-5931903 And they want to make immersive lands that attract lots of wallets. To me, it's a perfect fit!

Edit: Here's an updated article from 2017 where he was again voted the greatest movie character of all time.

https://movieweb.com/indiana-jones-greatest-movie-character-total-film/

Anyway, the point is, they have lots of reasons for wanting to put Indy there and given the right story elements, it can actually fit AK's theme. However, all that is just mho.

Last edited:

DisneyDodo

It’s not an issue of whether or not people associate them with each other. You’re still describing an external reference.
The effectiveness of a land’s theme is a function of the guests’ abilities to feel a universal connection between the components of that land. So while there may be absolutely no inherent commonalities between, say, Nemo and Sadness, putting them in the same land could still help facilitate themed entertainment by virtue of the fact that the guests feel a connection between them.

In other words, the land exists for the park guests. If they see a theme, there’s a theme, regardless of whether it comes from an external reference.

lazyboy97o

The effectiveness of a land’s theme is a function of the guests’ abilities to feel a universal connection between the components of that land. So while there may be absolutely no inherent commonalities between, say, Nemo and Sadness, putting them in the same land could still help facilitate themed entertainment by virtue of the fact that the guests feel a connection between them.

In other words, the land exists for the park guests. If they see a theme, there’s a theme, regardless of whether it comes from an external reference.
Your point still only works by confusing themed decor and themed experience.

Sir_Cliff

I don't know if that is too different from how Disneyland worked to begin with, though. I kind of find it hard to believe that if Walt Disney had both Animal Kingdom and Indian Jones at his disposal that there wouldn't have been some kind of cross-over, even if at the Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse level.

Daveeeeed

The problem I feel with 'Pixar' being the theme is that it will feel 'fake' as a pier and not an actual world you are entering.

Paradise Pier using a mix of IPs and non-ips like TSMM and Screamin' is a clever way to make it feel like an actual pier. Calling it Pixar Pier, and then theming it to things that are no unified by the pier theming completely throws off the land's purpose.

Oh well, very disappointing as I truly loved Paradise Pier and don't understand the hate. Yes, it needed some theming improvements, but it felt cohesive and was an iconic land. Thankfully the Mickey will remain, but that throws off 'Pixar' even further:confused:.

Cameron1529

I think Indiana Jones could work in AK. It's not ideal, but it's not like GOTG in Epcot, it fits MUCH better.

DisneySea is about exploration, and that is why it fits there. I wonder if AK adds on exploration to be part of its primary mission statement.

Now, Zootopia is what would not fit in AK.
It defiantly would fit into Animal Kingdom as would Zootopia. However putting the current Indiana Jones ride at Disneyland into AK would be just duplicating Dinosaur in Epcot and re-theming it into Indiana Jones. But by putting the Paris Indiana Jones attraction being a rollar coaster into AK, I believe would suit much better. Not that it is the most astounding rollar coaster by Disney, but none the less would add to the jungle feel at AK.

Cameron1529

Pixar Pier is an absolutely horrendous concept.
I think Pixar Pier is an excellent concept that will appeal to a broader scope and through this increase recognition. The current Paradise Pier doesn't really offer a lot in relation to theming and thus by labelling it as Pixar Pier it creates an element of recognition and understanding, as everyone has viewed or heard of at least one Pixar movie.

Pixieish

See, I think a "theme" constitutes designing a land with a particular idea in mind - one that a person doesn't need to recognize movie characters in order to grasp. Toy Story works because the theme is that you are toy-sized. Star Wars works because it's a space port. @bclane's idea for Indy would work because a person could have no clue at all who Indy is, yet still grasp the "story". Pixar Pier to me makes zero sense at all because there isn't enough that ties everything together for it to be a theme. It's like they're taking the All-Star resorts decor and slapping the Pixar equivalent on a theme park and giving it a matching name. Bad play on Disney's part unless they find SOME way to make everything understandable by someone who hasn't seen the Pixar movies.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
The key word is "theme."

You remind me of one those critics who tries to force a "meaning" into every work of art, when the artist's intent was merely to crank out a painting so she could buy some bread and cheese for supper.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
There is no need to force anything. Putting up Batman posters is not the same as building the Bat Cave.
Well, to follow the logic, unless there are actual bats in the cave, and visitors are supposed to "be the bat," can we actually say the replica Bat Cave is "theming," or just "decor"?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom