Rumor Is Indiana Jones Planning an Adventure to Disney's Animal Kingdom?

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
I'm probably in the minority here, but Dinoland is my least favorite land at the world and can't wait for a replacement. That being said I really hope they think of the possibilities that can replace it. Indiana Jones while tempting shouldn't be the solution just because it has a similar ride they can re-skin.

BenJacobs

It's called Indiana Jones and the Temple of Peril and it is one of the worst rollercoasters in a Disney park IMHO, a makeshift solution from the 90ies, basically an of-the shelf rollercoaster from swiss Intamin which was surrounded by a less than convincing theming (at least for WDI standards), I definitely grew on DLP in the last years but I still cannot get over the fact that this mediocre substitute replaced the originally planned Indy E-Ticket ride, even if it was the first RC in a Disney park with an inversion.I am actually VERY surprised that this rather lame ride made it to such a top-notch park like TDS as Raging Spirits.

Exactly my point, an off the shelf, badly themed coaster like Primeval Whirl.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Yeah, I think its fine to dismiss that connection because its shaky as heck. Unpleasant animals get about one scene per movie and are in no way related to the central themes of the film (and are largely incidental to the plot). By this logic, Back to the Future would be a better fit for AK because its got a dog who gets a lot more screentime then any animal in Indy.
The dog in BttF is not key to the plot. However, in the Indiana Jones movies...
Indy 1 -- spiders, a big snake, a little monkey and more snakes
Indy 2 -- bats, beetles
Indy 3 -- horses, more snakes, a rhino, camels, sea gulls... and, of course, "We named the dog Indiana."
Indy 4 -- bullet ants.

The directors frequently and habitually used nature's animals and insects to drive the plots of those movies. Perfectly natural fit in the movies, since archaeologists spend lots of time out in the wild (and what's the Animal Kingdom about?) and come across these natural antagonists all the time.

Hence, a solid connection to AK.

Last edited:

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Both those sci-fi examples work in Animal Kingdom though, they both have themes that relate to conservation or lifelike animals(and the theme of the park is animals of the past(Dinoland), present(Asia, Africa, Oasis), and of the mythical variety(Pandora, the Yeti, but the sci-fi in Indy isn't nature related).
The sci-fi in Indy 4 is just as relevant and likely as big blue meanies from Pandora...

Casper Gutman

The dog in BttF is not key to the plot. However, in the Indiana Jones movies...
Indy 1 -- spiders, a big snake, a little monkey and more snakes
Indy 2 -- bats, beetles
Indy 3 -- horses, more snakes, a rhino, camels... and, of course, "We named the dog Indiana."
Indy 4 -- bullet ants.

The directors frequently and habitually used nature's animals and insects to drive the plots of those movies. Perfectly natural fit in the movies, since archaeologists spend lots of time out in the wild (and what's the Animal Kingdom about?) and come across these natural antagonists all the time.

Hence, a solid connection to AK.
The dog in BttF is more key to the film's plot than any of the animals you listed are to their respective plots, with the arguable exception of the "bad dates" monkey. I mean... the rhino in last crusade?

Again, by this logic, any movie in which an animal gets the slightest screentime is suitable for AK. Actually, as I sit here thinking, the problem with coming up with examples is that few movies are LESS suited for AK then Indy - Aliens? Better fit, all about intergalactic animals. Honey, I Shrunk the Kids? Again, not a good fit, but a better one.

Spike-in-Berlin

Dinosaurs fit - as they are still real life, they are the animals of the past - but unfortunately there were budget cuts, so they created the thematically stunning Dinosaur, but couldn't make the rest of the land as amazing. You could see that they still put effort into the rest of the land, there is an entire backstory.

But I agree that Indiana doesn't belong in this park.

And I agree that Dinosaurs fit perfectly well in this park. They are a beloved classic in many parks, even those parks which have no connection to primeval worlds whatsoever have often Dinosaurs, even our only amusement park in Berlin (Spreepark, closed since 2001, has become a "lost place" since then) had Dinosaurs although they were absolutely misplaced, no attractions, no rides, just Dinosaurs standing around in a kiddie ride. And they perhaps fit nowhere else better in the entire world than in DAK! But I also know that Excavator rollercoaster and all the rest of the land was never built and the dinorama eyesore is the poor excuse for a replacement. It where the same budget cuts that crippled Kali River Rapids from a true E-Ticket to the joke it is today and cancelled (forever as we know now for sure) Beastly Kingdomme.

lazyboy97o

Dinosaurs fit - as they are still real life, they are the animals of the past - but unfortunately there were budget cuts, so they created the thematically stunning Dinosaur, but couldn't make the rest of the land as amazing. You could see that they still put effort into the rest of the land, there is an entire backstory.

But I agree that Indiana doesn't belong in this park.
Chester and Hester’s Dino-Rama is a quick addition that was intended to boost capacity and add rides.

I disagree -- animals and insects play are huge plot devices in each one of Indy's adventures... snakes, tarantulas, rats, bats, giant beetles, ants...
Being included doesn’t make something the subject. Indiana Jones is an archeologist. Why not put Indiana Jones into Paradise Pier because there is a lot of sand in the movies?

BenJacobs

Why not combine the two.

Sort of 'Indiana Jones and the Lost Valley of Gwangi"

A ride where Indy goes into a place where there are still dinos would still kinda work, but the ride would be so similar to the current one that there would be no point in changing.

PorterRedkey

I would LOVE to have an Indiana Jones ride at WDW, just not in Animal Kingdom. AK is about conservation and animals. I don't see how Indy relates to those themes. Indy would be a great way to expand Adventureland.

Also, if it replaces Dinosaur, we will likely get the same attraction as DL. Don't get me wrong that attraction is great, one of my favorites. However, I was hoping for a new take on an Indy ride using modern technology, not one based on an attraction that debuted in the 1990's.

Spike-in-Berlin

But I love dinosaur too much. Some parts may be aging, and it doesn't have the same brand status as indy, but it's still one of my favorite rides in wdw. A nice touch-up with a modern pre-show, distancing itself from the Dinosaur movie (rebranding back to CTX), and an expansion of the CTX brand to the rest of Dinoland with new rides and resturants there would be perfect. Not likely, but wonderful.

I agree, I am not exactly a fan of Dinosaur but I would appreciate a plussing and return to the original concept, updated technology could make especially the final of the ride a real thrill. Imagine, immediately after the Iguanodon has been sighted (and mysteriously captured without any visible device:D) you see on a huge screen to the right the asteroid coming down and the impact, suddenly a REAL bright flash, brighter than ANY SFX so far, a heat wave (simulated with hot air) and while the EMV is headed for the ramp you see on the screen a huge shockwave coming nearer very fast, too fast, (another alternative would be a 600 ft. tsunami approaching on the horizon), it's a screen, everything is possible. Then seconds before the shock wave/tsunami hits, we hear an enourmously loud explosion, the sound front from the impact has arrived (actually far to early but who cares, it's a ride not science), we see the dinosaur above for a last scare and while we enter the time tunnel we hear his dying cry as the shockwave arrives.

FigmentJedi

DinosaurEggs_e.jpg

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
The dog in BttF is more key to the film's plot than any of the animals you listed are to their respective plots, with the arguable exception of the "bad dates" monkey. I mean... the rhino in last crusade?

Again, by this logic, any movie in which an animal gets the slightest screentime is suitable for AK. Actually, as I sit here thinking, the problem with coming up with examples is that few movies are LESS suited for AK then Indy - Aliens? Better fit, all about intergalactic animals. Honey, I Shrunk the Kids? Again, not a good fit, but a better one.
Feeding a dog and then watching it ride in a car isn't exactly as important to a plot as having snakes writhing under the main character's clothes or rats crawling all over an actor's face under a burning coffin. But... if you believe that's the case, feel free -- I'm not going to argue religion with you.

In the end, it doesn't matter a whit what you or I think about the "fit" of Indiana Jones in AK. The Bobs will decide. I'm OK with it. You're not. Or maybe you are and you're just poking me with a blunt stick. Whatever. But you can't deny that animals are key to Indiana Jones movies. Deal with it. Or don't.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom