Rumor Is Indiana Jones Planning an Adventure to Disney's Animal Kingdom?

lazyboy97o

And Indy is already about the hubris of man meddling with powers greater than his own. This isn't some Batman / Iron Man tale where ingenuity and tech savvy saves the day. This isn't Harry Potter or Luke Skywalker winning because they are the Chosen Ones. Indy and Tarzan are the only action heroes I can see fitting in AK!

And Jake Sully, I guess.
The powers Dr. Jones confronts are not the powers of nature, but more the supernatural.

DisneyFan18

@marni1971 @WildcatDen, from what you know, will they completely erease the animals from the past theme of Animal Kingdom, if this project goes through, or is there any chance for a proper dinosaurs/other animals of the past land to be built at one of the expansion pads? Thank you for the insight by the way :)

CinematicFusion

Archaeology is about the preservation of man's own history, not that of animals. Nor about how man's nature relates to the nature of animals. Indy is a series of movies that happen to have exotic locations within it where animals live, but they are never about them.

I like Indy, and I can't imagine any of the above would stop them from adding him to AK if they wanted to, but to suggest that the property is readymade on-theme for the park is a big stretch.

Didn't say it was ready made.... I said it was a layup for Disney's creatives to come up with an idea that would easily place Indiana jones in AK. I stand by that.

I'm sure you could think of several ways an archeologist could find its way into AK.

I would rather have the mystic manor ride... but again, you need to get creative to bring the idea into the park.
I have no problem getting creative.

jt04

Didn't say it was ready made.... I said it was a layup for Disney's creatives to come up with an idea that would easily place Indiana jones in AK. I stand by that.

I'm sure you could think of several ways an archeologist could find its way into AK.

I would rather have the mystic manor ride... but again, you need to get creative to bring the idea into the park.

Agreed. It amazes how some here continually underestimate WDI. Oh well.

Freshbaked has a great video on YouTube today on the subject.

No Name

A yeti is a fictional animal, Indy is a fictional human.

There's even more of a difference, which you may be aware of, but which deserves to be explained.

The yeti is mythical. That is because, at some point in history, people actually believed that it was real.
Examples of mythical creatures more widely believed today are ghosts, aliens, and deities. That doesn't mean they are or aren't real, it means that many people think they are real.

Indiana Jones is simply fictional. No sane person ever believed he is real.

Na'vi are fictional, but aliens in general are mythical. I am hoping that, while Indiana Jones is fictional, they could make the attraction centered around some South American mythical animal(s).

Suspirian

I mean if DAK is truly about man's relationship with nature then an archaeology could probably find its way into DAK. Most archaeologist use depictions through art/artifacts and remains left at archaeological sites in order to gain a better understanding of how early humans interacted with animals. Theres even a separate sub field of study for that as well. I think something stone age related would probably be the best way to integrate it and even retain Dinoland's theme but I doubt thats the route they would go. There are definitely better fitting IPs than Indiana Jones and I don't think that removing Dinosaurs for something thats not really a hot topic rn is wise but a story that meshes with AK could be cooked up.

deWild

Indy has saved:
  • Western Civilization from Nazis
  • the children of a village
  • whatever it was in Crystal Skull
None of those things were the heart of archeology. In fact, when it comes to the archeological thread of the story, Indy keeps failing to bring anything back to a museum (although, he did save the Hindu stone). Archeology was a reason for him to adventure in a story greater than retrieving an artifact. The adventure was greater than archeology.

Any future movie can have Indy using archeology to find himself in a situation where he is saving:
  • dinosaurs in a lost world/island
  • animals at the brink of extinction
  • a huge ecosystem about to be destroyed by humans
And that would work for a plot for an AK attraction.

And really, you don't need a new movie to tell the tale of Indy saving dinosaurs, endangered animals, or the environment... the attraction itself can tell that story.

This right here? This is the definition of a creative, thoughtful, and in my opinion, fantastic way to build an IP-based attraction into a Disney park. “The adventure was greater than...” insert any type of reward here.

Your post tells me two things - one: you should work for the Mouse, and two: you seem like the type of person that could right the ship. I would love to see an attraction like that.

Jones14

It would appear that there are at least two plans of varying levels of investment, including:

1) a complete takeover of Dinand by Indy, with IJA replacing Dinosaur, a minor retheme of the Boneyard, and a new E-Ticket (or 2?) to replace Dinorama (water ride or coaster)
2) Dinorama will be taken over by Indy, and everything else remains

Aside from the fact that Indy is a much better fit at DHS or Magic Kingdom, this concept is another example of what is so frustrating with the modern leadership. Some IP tie-ins are drag and drop; Seven Dwarfs Mine Train is in Fantasyland because it is. There is no attempt to modify the story or setting because the world of the film already fits into the surroundings of the area it sits in. That's not to say that the IP is a retread of its plot; in fact, most of these types of attractions take on an active first person perspective (Star Tours, Mine Train, Tower of Terror).

Others are modified to fit the park they reside in, but the stipulation is that the IP's underlying message must be close enough to the ideals of the park for it to work, or something will feel off. A drag and drop of Avatar would work in DHS, but not in Animal Kingdom, and the current treatment of the franchise works in Animal Kingdom, but would feel out of place in DHS.

When it comes to IP's, drag and drops are generally preferred because the alternative (modification) would mean that there's an original concept that has to be created and then stapled to the IP in order to make it work. In that case, the original concept shouldn't be forced to hold up an IP.

Obviously, Indy COULD be made to work in Animal Kingdom, but it would need to be modified from the Indiana Jones experience that one would typically expect in order to do so. Clearly the creators of Dinosaur thought that Indiana Jones Adventure as it exists wasn't a good fit in Animal Kingdom, or they would have saved some money and plopped down an exact clone where Dinosaur sits now to begin with. Why ruin Animal Kingdom's Tower of Terror, just because the one across the pond is considered by some to be better? This is Guardians of the Tower ALL over again, and I'm not here for it.

yensidtlaw1969

The problem is that Disney would be the one who needs to get creative.

They're not incapable, but . . .

britain

Imagining if these discussion boards were around when Tokyo DisneySea was being built with Indy:

"But, but, the park has Sea in the name! There's nothing relating to the seas in the Indiana Jones Adventure!"
"Well, we could say it's in a river valley near the seas."
"Bah! You're tweaking it beyond recognition now!"
"It will look great!"
"It doesn't matter if it looks great, it's breaking the theme!"
"The real theme of the park is exploration and adventure, not literally 'oceans' ."

Replace exploration & adventure with the nature > man and oceans with animals, and there you go.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom