Is Getting There Half The Fun?

Jenna

Yes and no!

I love
Waking up at 6am and getting ready for the 2hour drive to Dublin airport. Watching out the window of my house waiting for the rest of my family to be ready!

Landing in Orlando Airport and beginning the hunt for our villa which usually takes like a zillion hours haha

Arriving in our villa and looking around and realising thats where I'm living for the next 3 weeks

I hate
The 9 and a half hour flight to Orlando!

Edisto Pluto

The trip is fun. We have a 7 hour drive but it goes by quickly. We talk about past trips,talk about what we want to do on this trip,disney trivia,listen to disney music,snack on food we normally don't eat.............big fun.

NewfieFan

I'd like to share a story of my last trip to WDW (which was actually my first trip with my own family)...

As my 4 year old son puts it we have to take two planes and a bus to get to WDW. We fly direct from Newfoundland to Toronto and then from Toronto to Orlando. We also have to be up quite early as the flight from St. John's, NL leaves 6 am!

I was quite nervous thinking about this upcoming trip... my children had never flown before (they were 3 and 1 at the time), I was worried the baby would be fussy during two long flights, I was worried that my son (the 3 year old) would freak out b/c he's afraid of everything, and I was worried about my husband (who ruptured his ear drum two days before flying). I'm not one to always worry but for some reason this trip was so important and such a big deal for us that I couldn't help worrying about everything! Oh and by the way my husband had just graduated medical school (and this was how we were celebrating).

Well, the day came! We dragged the kids out of bed and they were fine. We got to the airport just fine. We checked in (took a little longer than planned but still it went fine). We hardly had to wait to board and before I knew it we were sitting on the plane. So far everything is still fine! My baby starts to fuss a little (I panic) but she was fine! The plane starts to go done the runway (I hold onto the seat b/c I'm waiting for my son to freak out). The plane takes off - my son says "look mommy the world is getting smaller." My son is fine! My husband isn't having any pain - he's fine! We are in the air - and everyone is just fine! For the first time in two weeks I breath a sigh of relief. We did it - our first family vacation!

At this point my baby has already fallen asleep and I settle in for the long flight. We haven't been in the air not 5 mins when flight attendents start running back and forth. "That's odd", I thought to myself. Then I see a flight attendent running with the oxygen. "That can't be good", I thought to myself. My husband hasn't noticed any of this as he already has his headphones on and is watching something on the TV. Next thing I know they're asking if there's a nurse or doctor on board. Nobody gets out of their seat. My husband is still sitting there like nothing is going on. I jab my husband in his side with my elbow and tell him to get up. He says, "I'm not a doctor!" "You are now, honey!" I reply. He gets up and I have no idea what's going on! I sit there forever trying to peak around the seats while holding my baby and trying to entertain the 3 year old. Then they make an announcement that we're going to have to go back to St. John's. "Oh no, this can't be happening!" A couple more minutes pass and then they announce that they are going to go on to Toronto b/c there was a doctor on board! My husband who just graduated saved the day!

At the end of day we made it to Orlando and WDW just fine and had a great first family vacation. But for me, traveling is just not half the fun - can you tell why!?!:animwink:

My next trip is coming up in Sept., keep your fingers crossed for us...

Eyorefan

I don't MIND it.

Knock on wood... in alll our trips down there I have never had any problems. We live 30 minutes away from 2 airports and our flight is only 2 and half hours long so I can't complain.

Still, I would rather teleport.

dandaman

I'd like to share a story of my last trip to WDW (which was actually my first trip with my own family)...

As my 4 year old son puts it we have to take two planes and a bus to get to WDW. We fly direct from Newfoundland to Toronto and then from Toronto to Orlando. We also have to be up quite early as the flight from St. John's, NL leaves 6 am!

I was quite nervous thinking about this upcoming trip... my children had never flown before (they were 3 and 1 at the time), I was worried the baby would be fussy during two long flights, I was worried that my son (the 3 year old) would freak out b/c he's afraid of everything, and I was worried about my husband (who ruptured his ear drum two days before flying). I'm not one to always worry but for some reason this trip was so important and such a big deal for us that I couldn't help worrying about everything! Oh and by the way my husband had just graduated medical school (and this was how we were celebrating).

Well, the day came! We dragged the kids out of bed and they were fine. We got to the airport just fine. We checked in (took a little longer than planned but still it went fine). We hardly had to wait to board and before I knew it we were sitting on the plane. So far everything is still fine! My baby starts to fuss a little (I panic) but she was fine! The plane starts to go done the runway (I hold onto the seat b/c I'm waiting for my son to freak out). The plane takes off - my son says "look mommy the world is getting smaller." My son is fine! My husband isn't having any pain - he's fine! We are in the air - and everyone is just fine! For the first time in two weeks I breath a sigh of relief. We did it - our first family vacation!

At this point my baby has already fallen asleep and I settle in for the long flight. We haven't been in the air not 5 mins when flight attendents start running back and forth. "That's odd", I thought to myself. Then I see a flight attendent running with the oxygen. "That can't be good", I thought to myself. My husband hasn't noticed any of this as he already has his headphones on and is watching something on the TV. Next thing I know they're asking if there's a nurse or doctor on board. Nobody gets out of their seat. My husband is still sitting there like nothing is going on. I jab my husband in his side with my elbow and tell him to get up. He says, "I'm not a doctor!" "You are now, honey!" I reply. He gets up and I have no idea what's going on! I sit there forever trying to peak around the seats while holding my baby and trying to entertain the 3 year old. Then they make an announcement that we're going to have to go back to St. John's. "Oh no, this can't be happening!" A couple more minutes pass and then they announce that they are going to go on to Toronto b/c there was a doctor on board! My husband who just graduated saved the day!

Does your husband look like this?

airplane.jpg

...Seriously, did you ever find out what happened? (I guess you did, if he was the one who did the saving. :lol: )

disneyflush

I know I'm the minority from the responses but the drive down from Indiana is almost the best part of the trip for me. The light has been at the end of the tunnel for a year or so at that point and I experience feelings and emotions on the 9 hour drive that I just can't feel any other time because of where we are going. Its kind of like setting up a weight loss goal, then working out every day for a year to step on the scale at the end of the year and finally realizing you've hit your goal. It really is like going home after a long time away. Excitement builds up as each mile passes. I look forward to the trip and I look forward to the drive. Thats just me though!:p

yankspy

It used to be fun when Eastern airlines was the official airline of WDW. The characters would meet you at the gate. The in-flight radio stations had disney music. Ahh! memories.:)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom