Is Disney really that expensive?

disneyflush

'Expensive' is completely subjective to the individual looking at the prices. There are plenty of reasons people need to view Disney as 'not that expensive relative to x' or 'as magical as ever!'

I hate that there is a viewpoint where an individual poster has be be either a lover or a hater of Disney based on their response to any particular issue or thread. I'm not sure when everything became so polarized for 'good' or 'bad' in every discussion but relying on 'OH HERE COME THE HATERS IN 5,4,3,2,1' in every post is so intellectually lazy. Lets give people a little more credit than that.

flynnibus

Premium Member
'Expensive' is completely subjective to the individual looking at the prices. There are plenty of reasons people need to view Disney as 'not that expensive relative to x' or 'as magical as ever!'

No - 'affordable' or 'value' are relative to the individual looking at the prices. 'Expensive' is not in the eye of the beholder... simply their willingness to pay is.

eliza61nyc

No - 'affordable' or 'value' are relative to the individual looking at the prices. 'Expensive' is not in the eye of the beholder... simply their willingness to pay is.
Then who gets to declare something"expensive" if not the purchaser.
What or whom deems an item expensive? Is a 2000 a month apartment expensive?? Would it depend on where you live?
What's the threshold and how is it determined

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

I hate that there is a viewpoint where an individual poster has be be either a lover or a hater of Disney based on their response to any particular issue or thread. I'm not sure when everything became so polarized for 'good' or 'bad' in every discussion but relying on 'OH HERE COME THE HATERS IN 5,4,3,2,1' in every post is so intellectually lazy. Lets give people a little more credit than that.
As much as I agree with your point...

There’s a whole dynamic that goes into the defender/hater “thing”

The problem I have - and it’s gotten worse everyday for 20 years - is the stance that everyone is entitled to their own opinion...therefore NO ONE can be wrong.

Plenty of “opinions” are dead wrong. Doesn’t matter if you “own it”

That’s not how it works...there can be no collective opinion/conscious in consumer products? If that’s true then your dollars are meaningless...because you have no group power. It’s 100% up to the supplier.

I think that manifests in the hate. People talk about quality decline and increasing prices...and are nearly always countered by “I think it’s still worth it”

But that doesn’t end the discussion.

Last edited:

chrisbarry

I agree with the original post question. I don't think Disney is any more expensive than anything else I do that could be considered similar; theme parks, water parks, ski resorts, beach vacations, etc. I especially think when it comes to hotels, Disney is a great buy when you compare it to other top tourist destinations. Seriously I just came back from a weekend in Cape Cod with my wife and kids. If I wanted to be on the beach it was $400 a night at every single hotel. Nice enough hotel. Clean. Well kept. Pool the size of a postage stamp. And that's it. And they were all the same. Every one of them I looked at online fit that description. And while we were there, we walked the beach and took looks at the ones we didn't book. Nice enough hotel. Clean. Well kept. Pool the size of a postage stamp. And all of them $400 a night.

Comparatively, I've paid less than $400 a night for The Yacht Club, BoardWalk, Wilderness Lodge, even a few years back with a 40% off deal - the Polynesian! And look at what I'm getting! There's no comparison as to the value of my $ at a Disney resort versus just about anywhere else. Heck, I'm heading to Riverside next month and paying less than $300 a night and getting a ton more of amenities than anything else up and down the entire East coast.

I go to a concert or a sporting event and pay $13 for a beer. $6 for a bottle of water. Disney is way, way less for things like that. I paid $50 to park at a recent concert at CitiField here in NY. $50 - say it again - $50 !!! $40 to park at a similar concert up in the Boston area. After paying $100 for a concert ticket.

Don't even get me started on skiing...

I'm not saying Disney is cheap - it's not. But nothing is cheap. But the bang for the buck at Disney is huge comparatively.

Disstevefan1

I agree, I am a huge fan of everything Disney while at the same time say for me, it's expensive

Indy_UK

For those who don't go to the parks, Disney merch is reasonable.

Disney+ is a bargain at $6.99 but its once you hit the parks that it hits your wallets

Jedi Stitch

Apples meet Orange.

Is the House of Mouse expensive, yes it is. Can you compare it to other Theme Parks? Yes, but it becomes an Apple to Orange argument.

So, My wife and I when we decided it was time get married, we went venu shopping. Yep, many of you know where this is going. Our very first spur of the moment look was a place called the Hollywood school house. What we didn't know it was the "THE" venu that is coveted at the time. So seeing it, and seeing the many add on, but all inclusive amenities, and the no worry got you covered plan, Then seeing other paled in comparison. Even Shatue Saint Michelle Winery seamed petty with the what you got and what you had to provide.

Even west coat and east coast you cant compare. WDW, you can be in the bubble, and pre pay for an all inclusive stay that has everything covered, except souvenirs. DLR, you can stay on property but exorbitantly, stay in a hotel near by cheap, no dining plan, so pay as you go.

If you are a repeat customer, then you can offset the cost by getting yearly pass, become vacation club members, and even just snack for some meals.

Indy_UK

Something can’t be a bargain if it’s not released yet...

And that price is - of course- the bait on the hook

Oh I don’t disagree, it’s a hook and if they put Parks and resorts stuff on Disney+ it’s going to get people putting down $$$ to visit

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Oh I don’t disagree, it’s a hook and if they put Parks and resorts stuff on Disney+ it’s going to get people putting down $$$ to visit

I mean...it’s not the 80’s. It’s not like there’s people on the mountain somewhere that haven’t heard of Disneyland...

Everyone knows Disney’s deal. If they want to visit, they visit.

I would venture the streaming service won’t book a trip. Maybe...over time...the occasional timeshare or two...but that’s a stretch.

Same reason the world showcase concept ended. What was in it for countries/companies to pay Disney to “promote” them? I could look up a flight to London and a picture of the Eiffel Tower on Netscape in 1993.

jloucks

This week I went to frontier city, the Six flags owned amusement park in Oklahoma. It has roller coasters, a log flume, a white water raft, a “dark ride shooter”. Theming is static mannequins if there is theming on a ride, the roller coasters are short. Its like six flags jr. Now I know what there strategy is for the ticket pricing. Make it expensive enough that you buy a membership or the season pass that gets you free parking and entry into all six flags and subsidiaries and water parks.
But….
IF you a one time sucker visitor.
Here are the costs. (same for all six flags) with none of their marketing discounts
One time entry
Parking
The fast pass equivalent (which is not included in season passes, daily passes, or memberships)
So 129.99 for one single park with no theming no story lines to the rides no other parks. There isn’t an epcot, animal kingdom, Hollywood studios or DCA if you get bored. There are no Restaurants, there is chicken strips, hot dogs or pizza. They do have dole whips though…

Disney with park hopper (which gets substantially cheaper the more days you stay) and yes I know the prices change depending on what day you choose.
109.00 (free fast pass)
60 for park hopper
20 (I think) for parking
So 189.99 for 4 parks that lets be honest are a bajillion times better and sit down restaurants, amazing theming and story telling. And beautiful park like theming.
Remove park hopper (if you are only there for one day, you don’t really need it and there is no equivalent at six flag style parks, and also gets much cheaper the longer you stay)
And you are at 129.00 the EXACT same price as a step up from a state fair.

I know this prob sounds like Disney propaganda.. but Disney kind of ruined this park for me (hadn’t been for 20 years, and was bored in an hour), I then compared prices and I was a bit shocked. And its not just this park... Six flags, Silver dollar City and many others are the exact same way.. no theming... no story.. they are really not competitors but one day tickets are about the same.

Six Flags is not the same thing as WDW and it is not designed to be a single day visit park.

Let me give you a better perspective. We get 4 APs with dining for $120 each (we watch for the inevitable sales).

We go 6 times a year (used to be 10+ before the kids got old). That is $20 to visit and includes free lunch and dinner. Massive rides. Ok shows (well, one show). The rides are extreme quality. World class coasters.

Oh, and you can use your AP at ANY Six Flags park. ...and there are lots of them.

Six Flags is a bargain compared to WDW. Sadly, it is suffering the same issues as WDW. Mainly overcrowding and terrible, I mean nighmarishly bad, crowd management.

Janir

This week I went to frontier city, the Six flags owned amusement park in Oklahoma. It has roller coasters, a log flume, a white water raft, a “dark ride shooter”. Theming is static mannequins if there is theming on a ride, the roller coasters are short. Its like six flags jr. Now I know what there strategy is for the ticket pricing. Make it expensive enough that you buy a membership or the season pass that gets you free parking and entry into all six flags and subsidiaries and water parks.
But….
IF you a one time sucker visitor.
Here are the costs. (same for all six flags) with none of their marketing discounts
One time entry
Parking
The fast pass equivalent (which is not included in season passes, daily passes, or memberships)
So 129.99 for one single park with no theming no story lines to the rides no other parks. There isn’t an epcot, animal kingdom, Hollywood studios or DCA if you get bored. There are no Restaurants, there is chicken strips, hot dogs or pizza. They do have dole whips though…

Disney with park hopper (which gets substantially cheaper the more days you stay) and yes I know the prices change depending on what day you choose.
109.00 (free fast pass)
60 for park hopper
20 (I think) for parking
So 189.99 for 4 parks that lets be honest are a bajillion times better and sit down restaurants, amazing theming and story telling. And beautiful park like theming.
Remove park hopper (if you are only there for one day, you don’t really need it and there is no equivalent at six flag style parks, and also gets much cheaper the longer you stay)
And you are at 129.00 the EXACT same price as a step up from a state fair.

I know this prob sounds like Disney propaganda.. but Disney kind of ruined this park for me (hadn’t been for 20 years, and was bored in an hour), I then compared prices and I was a bit shocked. And its not just this park... Six flags, Silver dollar City and many others are the exact same way.. no theming... no story.. they are really not competitors but one day tickets are about the same.

You laid this out well! I'm shamelessly stealing this (with quote attribution to you ;) ) for counter arguments to some family and friends when they speak of High costs of Disney trips. Now, in my rough neck of the woods, we have a Six Flags and that gets compared to all the time. Now not a ton of people plan multi day- week long vacation trips to Six Flags like WDW, but I'm sure some do and then their costs go up for the resort, food and travel aspects for that type of trip.

eliza61nyc

It's a Relative comparison - it's not an emotion.
No but evaluation of comparison are variable based on personal experience. So someone declaration of expensive doesnnt mean much.
You said expensive is not in the eye of the beholder, then who's making the comparison??

Last edited:

Goofyque'

As for the dining.....most quick service at Disney is just hot dogs, chicken nuggets and pizza too.

Agree with the point of reasonable people seeing both the positives and negatives, but Disney can still be affordable. In traveling to WDW for nearly 50 years, we have never had a hot dog, chicken nugget or hamburger. We find lots of options and think that is one area that WDW shines. The food choices are plentiful and delicious. I'm glad they serve typical snack food, but we love trying all the new things! Lots of choices, and many meals can be shared!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom