• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

Is Disney really that expensive?

BASS

If you believe that some of the rates Disney charges are comparable to comparable rates for stays at hotels on the water, near vineyards, mountains, etc., you need to get out more.

chrisbarry

Advertisement
You didn't say 'bang for buck' before.. you said
"I have looked up and down the east coast for a resort that offers as much as you get when you stay at a Disney resort and it's quite simple why I can't find one- there are none"

That's what I was responding to. 'offers as much as you get'. Disney hotels are pretty middle of the road in most categories of amenities or services.

I think you keep blurring 'location at disney' with 'what the hotel offers'. Take these hotels away from seven seas lagoon... are they still standouts? I don't think so.

The room fixtures are average. The in room amenities are below average. The grounds are nice.. but most of the pools are average. Most don't have good pool deck service options. Most don't even have stand-out pools anymore. The amenities like beaches and water craft have been neutered to basically pointless. Most only have a single dining venue. Their sundaries shops are light compared to many other offers. Their gym or spa options are lesser than many peers.

Given the choice to be at the Bellagio or Beach Club... the choice is easy. Heck, even the Gaylord in Orlando offers more than Beach club. There are many timeshare style places in Orlando that offer way more.

The idea these hotels are somehow 'pinnacles' is dated Disney PR. They are the top only in the Disney bubble.
OK. I just disagree with everything you said. So, I'm just going to leave it at that. I don't subscribe to Disney PR. This is how I feel and I'm pretty well traveled and pretty well researched.

jloucks

I tend to agree except we seem to be confusing the words expensive with affordable. I think that cost per hour in a Disney Park based on the time of experiencing multiple entertainment venues is not even close to being expensive in the sense of value. I defy anyone to tell me where a more value hourly based thing exists.
Oh that's easy, just about any base level cruise ship?

But I get your point, and it is fairly solid. WDW has a pretty darn good hourly value. Especially when staying on site.

Oh,, we can even have some fun with math.....so....

WDW mid tier experience, 1 week long, 4 people, on site $6800

Shoot, that is just a little over $10 a hour. That's it! That is cheaper than...

Eating out a non-fast food
Going to the regular priced movie
Uber ride
Music Concert
Major Sporting event

...the list can go on and on, but the point is there.

Cruise ships have an even greater per hour value.

chrisbarry

If you believe that some of the rates Disney charges are comparable to comparable rates for stays at hotels on the water, near vineyards, mountains, etc., you need to get out more.
Does that mean you agree with me or not?

Everything on Cape Cod - unless I wanted a cheap motel on the main road - was around $300-$400 per night. I'm paying $250 per night for my stay at Riverside in September. Last summer we paid around $350 for The Yacht Club with a summer room-only deal. That's less than anything on the Cape and I'm getting so much more out of even Riverside than any of the Cape Cod beach hotels. Can I get a beautiful B&B at a Long Island vineyard? Sure, between $200-$300 per night easy. Is it a nice inn? Of course. Does it offer me multiple pools, restaurants, food court, playgrounds, free transport to and from the airport, free transport on busses, boats and monorails? Not a chance. In the mountains?? I've been skiing for 45 years. I've stayed all over the east coast and out west. Close proximity to the slopes with a pool/hot tub, maybe a shuttle bus back and forth to the mountain? Easy $300 + per night, if not more. Need a condo to sleep a family of 5 - like we have? $400 a night easy. These are nice hotels and complexes, but I'm sorry, they pale in comparison to a place like Yacht and Beach.
Again, there are dozens of cheap Motel 6's in the world, but that's not what we're talking about here.

thomas998

In most vacations you can make them as expensive or as cheap as you want. The only real expenses that you can't manage is the price of admission to the parks... but hotels can vary dramatically based on where you choose to stay... food can be controlled based on where and what you eat... So in the end the real question comes back to whether the parks are expensive or not.

John park hopper

This is a question I have-----WDW is open 365 days a year 10 hours or more a day-- is it a fair comparison (prices) to compare sports venues or ski resorts or beach resorts prices which are open for a limited amount of time and I would think have to make a profit in that limited time in order to cover expenses?

jaklgreen

This is a question I have-----WDW is open 365 days a year 10 hours or more a day-- is it a fair comparison (prices) to compare sports venues or ski resorts or beach resorts prices which are open for a limited amount of time and I would think have to make a profit in that limited time in order to cover expenses?
That would only be an issue in comparison for someone who lives close and can visit whenever they want. But for most people, going to WDW is no different then going to any other entertainment venue. Sporting venues are in no way hurting for money that they need to price gouge as they do, no more then Disney has to. It comes down to how people choose to spend their disposable income and what type of enjoyment they get from it. I wouldn't spend $5 on going to see any sporting event because it does not interest me, so that would be "too expensive" for me. But I will gladly spend thousands of dollars going to WDW because that is what makes me happy. It is no different then people who spend money on purses or buying the new IPhone or getting a new (got to make my manhood bigger) big truck every couple of years, etc. It is all subjective to the individual person on what is "too expensive".

eliza61nyc

I think the whole "location" comparison is not what really determines the price. Any time you have anything that is "in demand" coupled with a "captive audience" you are going to pay premium prices. Staying open X number of days doesn't imo factor into it. Disney is still considered a desirable vacation venue. Gotta love their marketing, they've convinced us that in order to be happy and complete one must visit wdw at least once.

Why are Hamilton theater tickets STILL at least 400 bucks a pop? because it's still the hot item on Broadway. It came out 3 years ago and some seats are still selling at 1500.00 bucks a pop.

Goofyernmost

I think the whole "location" comparison is not what really determines the price. Any time you have anything that is "in demand" coupled with a "captive audience" you are going to pay premium prices. Staying open X number of days doesn't imo factor into it. Disney is still considered a desirable vacation venue. Gotta love their marketing, they've convinced us that in order to be happy and complete one must visit wdw at least once.

Why are Hamilton theater tickets STILL at least 400 bucks a pop? because it's still the hot item on Broadway. It came out 3 years ago and some seats are still selling at 1500.00 bucks a pop.
I think I just mentioned a few weeks ago that Paul McCartney put on a concert here in Raleigh. The seat prices range from $149.00 (which I would assume was across the road from the venue) to $3500.00 per person to be close to the stage. I wouldn't pay that price even if they found a way to bring John and George back to life for one last Beatles Concert. Like it was said, it really depends on what people feel is worth the money, but it is also connected with if they can afford it or not. One is emotional the other is what is physically available to spend.

Disneyfanman

The issue for me isn't a question about value. It's a question of affordability which is a completely different thing. I used to visit Disney World with my family annually and it was always expensive. Today I can afford to visit every 3-4 years. I know people who will never be able to afford a visit, but they aren't going to take their family on a cruise ship either. The cost of Disney has far outpaced the growth in average incomes. There is a larger and larger group of people who simply cannot go. I just paid 2400.00 for a family of 5, for tickets only. That's 3 days of park hoppers. Disney is not a theme park...…It's a resort. I planned a vacation, not day trip.

An interesting observation is that I live in UT (10 hour drive from Disneyland). When I moved here, almost every family that I knew had annual passes to DL and visited 4-5 times a year. That was 10 years ago. Today not a single person that I know has an annual pass. The reason is 100% cost. Nothing else.

I don't blame Disney or resent them for this. They are marketing to and attracting people who go as an "event". People that I know complain about the cost because it used to cost less. At some point I may no longer be able to afford to visit. Somebody else will take my place!

Pooh.sHoneyHuntTDL

I think I just mentioned a few weeks ago that Paul McCartney put on a concert here in Raleigh. The seat prices range from $149.00 (which I would assume was across the road from the venue) to $3500.00 per person to be close to the stage. I wouldn't pay that price even if they found a way to bring John and George back to life for one last Beatles Concert. Like it was said, it really depends on what people feel is worth the money, but it is also connected with if they can afford it or not. One is emotional the other is what is physically available to spend.
I’d pay 1500 for Paul but not Faul

chrisbarry

The issue for me isn't a question about value. It's a question of affordability which is a completely different thing. I used to visit Disney World with my family annually and it was always expensive. Today I can afford to visit every 3-4 years. I know people who will never be able to afford a visit, but they aren't going to take their family on a cruise ship either. The cost of Disney has far outpaced the growth in average incomes. There is a larger and larger group of people who simply cannot go. I just paid 2400.00 for a family of 5, for tickets only. That's 3 days of park hoppers. Disney is not a theme park...…It's a resort. I planned a vacation, not day trip.

An interesting observation is that I live in UT (10 hour drive from Disneyland). When I moved here, almost every family that I knew had annual passes to DL and visited 4-5 times a year. That was 10 years ago. Today not a single person that I know has an annual pass. The reason is 100% cost. Nothing else.

I don't blame Disney or resent them for this. They are marketing to and attracting people who go as an "event". People that I know complain about the cost because it used to cost less. At some point I may no longer be able to afford to visit. Somebody else will take my place!
Those are fair observations indeed. I have a U2 at Nassau Coliseum concert stub from high school that says $16.50 on it. That's a major venue here in NY. Last time I saw U2 a year or so ago it was over $100. Last Dead show I went to was $150. I have dozens of $20 ticket stubs from back in the 80's & 90's. Same with skiing. It's crazy what my family of 5 has to pay to enjoy the outdoor activity that we love so much. Prices have skyrocketed over the years and Disney is no different. My argument has always been though, "No, Disney isn't cheap, but I'm still getting a hell of a lot for my money." I still feel that way and I guess if there ever comes a time when I don't... who am I kidding...I'll still find a way to get there somehow.

chrisbarry

That would only be an issue in comparison for someone who lives close and can visit whenever they want. But for most people, going to WDW is no different then going to any other entertainment venue. Sporting venues are in no way hurting for money that they need to price gouge as they do, no more then Disney has to. It comes down to how people choose to spend their disposable income and what type of enjoyment they get from it. I wouldn't spend $5 on going to see any sporting event because it does not interest me, so that would be "too expensive" for me. But I will gladly spend thousands of dollars going to WDW because that is what makes me happy. It is no different then people who spend money on purses or buying the new IPhone or getting a new (got to make my manhood bigger) big truck every couple of years, etc. It is all subjective to the individual person on what is "too expensive".
Well said. I watch people spending fortunes going to places that I would never even consider going and I'm quite sure they think the same thing about me and my Disney trips, ski vacations and Dead shows.

thomas998

When comparing things like the price of a bottle of water or some food item it isn't a valid comparison because the reality is a food vendor at a stadium is having to cover the overhead for a year's lease based on a limited number of events in a year. When you are talking about the food in WDW it should really just be compared to any high traffic restaurant or fast food place because both are going to have about the same visitor per day.

Top Bottom