Is Disney really that expensive?

flynnibus

Premium Member
If you're talking about credit card rewards, that is generally a sucker's game. Your reward if you do the above is you can sleep at night, weather any macrofinancial storm, and be in charge of your life.

Credit card companies don't give out "rewards" for free - yes, you can dutifully charge every single item to a rewards card and pay it off every single month forever and never get charged a dollar of interest, but those people are the minority. Generally speaking, it's better to just say no credit cards. The credit card companies are gambling (and their house always wins) that eventually you won't pay the full bill and they will recoup your "rewards" in interest

If you can gain from the CC companies surviving off others... no harm in doing so.

I don't feel comfortable financially because of my use of credit or not... I feel comfortable based on my expenses and assets.. including liquid assets that allow me to survive months on end without work if I needed to.

You're preaching people that "guns are bad" instead of teaching them "how to handle a gun". To hide from the tool rather than to understand use the tool for your gain.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
That's like comparing yourself to your shadow though. Uni's prices are for all intents... largely based on Disney prices and expectations.
But that’s a way to take Disney’s side...you didn’t get the undertone of that one?

Direct competitors in the exact same market that price match makes Disney “cheap as hell”

RobWDW1971

Pfft.

I will use other people's money especially if they pay me to do so. Why take my money out of circulation and earning if someone else will give me free money?

Why pay a bill with a check if they will let me pay the same bill with a credit card, and still get my 2%? If they give me a discount for paying cash, or avoid a fee, I'll pay cash. Otherwise.. give me my free 2%.

Not sure where the anger is coming from as it's an opinion, if you don't agree, that's fine. As I clarified in the following post, if you use credit cards and religiously pay off the balances each month, then yes, it can make financial sense, but that is a very rare minority of people who can stick to that program. Most people get the "2% cashback card" thinking they will pay it off every month, they don't, they end up paying 17.99% compounded interest, and then celebrate when they get their "rebate check".

If that's not you then more power to you, but the point remains the same, everybody should avoid paying high credit card interest fees. I edited my original note above to clarify.

flynnibus

Premium Member
If that's not you then more power to you, but the point remains the same, everybody should avoid paying high credit card interest fees

Yes - but that doesn't mean preaching what you said.

You called people 'suckers' and inferred they can't handle a simple concept in knowing to always avoid credit cards. That's being the preachy one... basically telling people they are too stupid for themselves and just can't function with sharp objects in their hand.

RobWDW1971

Yes - but that doesn't mean preaching what you said.

You called people 'suckers' and inferred they can't handle a simple concept in knowing to always avoid credit cards. That's being the preachy one... basically telling people they are too stupid for themselves and just can't function with sharp objects in their hand.
Wow, so much anger. For the sake of world peace, I will go back and edit the original post (although I actually said "generally a sucker's game", which the facts would still support). If you are saying the vast majority of American consumers actually come out ahead on credit card rewards vs. the high credit card interest rates they pay, then we will have to agree to disagree as the facts don't support this.

flynnibus

Premium Member
If you are saying the vast majority of American consumers actually come out ahead on credit card rewards vs. the high credit card interest rates they pay, then we will have to agree to disagree as the facts don't support this.

You're making correlations that are pointless. What your neighbor does has nothing to do with how you manage your own money. So the fact the CC companies can profit from running such programs because a large percent of people pay interest has zero to do with any individual's ability to use them without going into debt themselves.

The fact that many people have credit card debt is a personal responsibility issue - not because credit cards exist. People have been going in debt to others for as long as we've had civilization. Teach people responsibility - not to hide from it.

RobWDW1971

You're making correlations that are pointless. What your neighbor does has nothing to do with how you manage your own money. So the fact the CC companies can profit from running such programs because a large percent of people pay interest has zero to do with any individual's ability to use them without going into debt themselves.

The fact that many people have credit card debt is a personal responsibility issue - not because credit cards exist. People have been going in debt to others for as long as we've had civilization. Teach people responsibility - not to hide from it.

Pretty sure I've conceded that point three times now and edited the original posts. Again, not sure where the anger is coming from, but the main point remains the same, consumers should do every thing they can to avoid incurring high interest credit card debt. If that doesn't apply to you and you use your credit cards responsibly, then God bless. And frankly, if people want to use credit cards to rack up high interest credit card debt, I don't really care either, just stating (what one would think was) an obvious point.

Last edited:

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Well I live in St. Louis. So we definitely have food. Whether or not any of it is “good” seems to be hotly debated lol.

Ironically, we have a couple axe throwing places too. I think they’re growing in popularity everywhere. While I have most everything I need here, I would love to visit New York someday. Thus far, we’ve only taken weekend trips to Chicago to get our “big city” fix in.
New York stinks. Most overrated city on the planet.

Anders Limpar

Lol...there’s that Dollywood again 🤪

I agree you can go in low season - especially if there’s a promo - and get wdw down to “competitive” in most scenarios. The problem is that’s the basement and it only gets skewed from there.

You can go on a high end royal Caribbean (we did one out of New York last year on a top of the line shop in a busy week) for about $2200 for four...

With food and most entertainment? That destroys the wdw pricing.

So I think it can be “comparable”...my frequent wdw trips are on “my terms” and I have cheap dvc and the ability to wait on ticket prices...but street prices are usually “elevated”
at a minimum

Signed,
“Pensin7” 😉

Four times

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I’m subjected to that cesspool far too often for my liking.

Here’s a list of good things about NYC.

That’s the list.

Edit to add....

I’m going to the Met game tomorrow. $25 of tolls. Great city.

I know it’s off topic (doesn’t matter...dusters are chasing “d23” rumors full time now)...but you have to “flesh” it out a little?

Not from jersey? or a Angry Philly guy?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Back on topic. I found that a seasonal pass to Universal with the room discounts etc. is far cheaper then Disney. Been to Universal a total 9 days this year, Disney zero. For Thanksgiving last year we stayed at the Portofino for something like $200 which includes express passes, the pass holder discounts can be large if you are flexible.
To be fair...universal rolled out “unusual” prices based on fear of Star Wars.

Portofono isn’t close to $200 normally.

I expect those to reset soon (but I hope they don’t because they would get my next trip with a smile and $5 at this point)

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I would suggest we NOT enter the rabbit hole here.

Just leave it to whether or not Disney is a good value as compared to other options...not get into “means”.

That is an economic issue much more serious than travel.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom