Is Disney really that expensive?

Skibum1970

12 pages in and I think that we all agree that it is expensive. The tickets are expensive and you will shell out if you decide that you want to stay onsite. The hotels, moderate on up, are as expensive or more so than staying at hotels in some of the cities in the northeast like Boston or New York. The food is similarly overpriced and everything else carries a upcharge. We still pay it but it is a far more expensive trip than, say, going to Yellowstone or other national parks. The one thing that really jumps out to me is that you get to experience less than in the past and yet I still get the craze to go back. To be fair, I feel the urge the most when it is 10 degrees and snowing here in January/February and Orlando is in the 60's/70's. So, enjoyment factor might be part of the allure but the weather is more so.

ppete1975

Original Poster
12 pages in and I think that we all agree that it is expensive. The tickets are expensive and you will shell out if you decide that you want to stay onsite. The hotels, moderate on up, are as expensive or more so than staying at hotels in some of the cities in the northeast like Boston or New York. The food is similarly overpriced and everything else carries a upcharge. We still pay it but it is a far more expensive trip than, say, going to Yellowstone or other national parks. The one thing that really jumps out to me is that you get to experience less than in the past and yet I still get the craze to go back. To be fair, I feel the urge the most when it is 10 degrees and snowing here in January/February and Orlando is in the 60's/70's. So, enjoyment factor might be part of the allure but the weather is more so.
I can defintetly understand that. But what the original post was pointing out was disney vs other theme parks for 1 day isnt as outrageous as we all like to think it is. Trust me i see it as a super expensive trip and only go about every 5 years (based on value vs reward since for the same price you can do almost anything). But as the original post that got bumped from 2 years ago (before all the covid changes no one could have seen coming..... although yes the cdc has been warning us since the 70s this might happen), this is cost per cost of a low end theme park vs disney for one day where Disney shockingly looks to be the better deal when all costs and experiences are compared. That being said with covid alot of the original post are moot,

Animaniac93-98

I hope disney sees this and changes the policy. A "policy" that im sure was there just to be nice. They should have given her like a generic 5 dollar shirt or a lost and found one and not let her go shopping.

"I went to scam Disney World and all I got was this lousy T-shirt"

...is what should have happened

DfromATX

I'm late to this conversation because I haven't been on here lately, so I hope this hasn't already been said, but my opinion is that it's the resorts and food that cost so much, not park entry itself. So with that said, those are things that can be controlled. Overall Disney is very expensive, but there are ways to cut costs if need be. Furthermore, with less perks being offered for staying on property, I am a little tempted to see what off property is like - or at least something like the Swan or Dolphin (baby steps).

G00fyDad

I'm late to this conversation because I haven't been on here lately, so I hope this hasn't already been said, but my opinion is that it's the resorts and food that cost so much, not park entry itself. So with that said, those are things that can be controlled. Overall Disney is very expensive, but there are ways to cut costs if need be. Furthermore, with less perks being offered for staying on property, I am a little tempted to see what off property is like - or at least something like the Swan or Dolphin (baby steps).
I am on the verge of this myself. If they do not bring back FP+ with a 60 day window then I am out. There are very nice places to stay off property that would save me about $500-$600.

DfromATX

I am on the verge of this myself. If they do not bring back FP+ with a 60 day window then I am out. There are very nice places to stay off property that would save me about $500-$600.
Actually... I just got off the phone with Disney. We were booked for a trip January 2022 at the Poly. I just changed my reservations to the Swan. I've never stayed at either and I like to try new resorts each trip (whether it's deluxe or value). I kept the days the same, same park reservations, etc. - price difference of $827!!

G00fyDad

Actually... I just got off the phone with Disney. We were booked for a trip January 2022 at the Poly. I just changed my reservations to the Swan. I've never stayed at either and I like to try new resorts each trip (whether it's deluxe or value). I kept the days the same, same park reservations, etc. - price difference of $827!!

I refuse to stay at a Deluxe property like that. No offense to those that do. They appeal to different people for different things. We just aren't that picky about the hotel. As long as it is nice and everything works we are good. We barely spend time at the hotel anyway.

DfromATX

I refuse to stay at a Deluxe property like that. No offense to those that do. They appeal to different people for different things. We just aren't that picky about the hotel. As long as it is nice and everything works we are good. We barely spend time at the hotel anyway.
Which one are you referring to, Poly or Swan? I think they are both considered deluxe, but wow, what a price difference. Normally, we'd opt for a moderate or value, but this trip will be only my husband and myself so we are splurging. :p I'd like to stay at the Contemporary, but I just can't bring myself to spend that much money.

the_rich

It's subjective. I went in dec 2017 for 4 nights with 3 other people and had a Kidani villa. Had park hoppers and got free dining. With airfare it cost me about 5600 or so. Same year my mother and sister went to turks and Caicos for a week all inclusive for 10k. So who got the better value there? In my opinion my trip was comparatively cheap compared to theirs. But everyone has their own opinion on cost vs value.

G00fyDad

Which one are you referring to, Poly or Swan? I think they are both considered deluxe, but wow, what a price difference. Normally, we'd opt for a moderate or value, but this trip will be only my husband and myself so we are splurging. :p I'd like to stay at the Contemporary, but I just can't bring myself to spend that much money.

Either one. I could not even consider spending that much money on a hotel room. We stayed at CBR once but other than that we always stay at an All-Stars or Pop. I tried to price a package at Art of Animation but that was $5200 for a suite. Getting a package with two adjoining rooms at Pop for the same trip would only be $3730.

DfromATX

Either one. I could not even consider spending that much money on a hotel room. We stayed at CBR once but other than that we always stay at an All-Stars or Pop. I tried to price a package at Art of Animation but that was $5200 for a suite. Getting a package with two adjoining rooms at Pop for the same trip would only be $3730.

I hear ya. We have 4 kids (mostly grown now). Only on our very first trip we got a suite (because we didn't know any better) but after that it was better to get two rooms. Just an FYI, at the Swan, for 4 nights, 3 park days, 2 people, it's $2,239. That didn't seem too bad to me compared to $3,066 at the Poly.

Goofyernmost

I have been offsite for almost 4 decades and it is fine. In order to do it easily it is important to have a vehicle, either your own or a rental, but just the costs of the rooms in offsite hotels will save you enough money to rent a car and buy all your meals. You should try it. It is less planning because you are requiring less. I never found it a problem to leave the parks around 4pm and take a little break at whatever hotel I was staying in. A few minutes by the pool or even a short nap in the AC. Then a sit down dinner that didn't require a second mortgage to pay for and back to the parks (I always have a Park Hopper) either the same park or a different one until just before closing so I can beat the exiting crowds. But, I never really found it difficult even if we all left at the same time. I always found that Disney had an excellent exiting system. I agree that the cost of entering is not all that unreasonable when you figure the number of hours that you can be entertained. It is expensive for a larger family though. But, it is all relative, feeding and housing a larger family onsite makes my ears bleed just thinking about.

Minnesota disney fan

And don't forget "nostalgia"! When I get upset over less for more and all the changes, I start to think of when we went to disney with the kids and then grandkids. Lots of great memories:)

GimpYancIent

Even now with all the limits, restrictions and the reduced (pared down) experiences my family and I have fun. Each trip has been unique and different with its own special moments. It Ain't Cheap! As the Disney advertisements say "know before you go" be aware of the prices and costs then sticker shock will not occur when there. All that said, the parades, fireworks, stage shows, character meet and greets, character dining and special activities coming back on line will greatly improve the value for the dollar equation.

Skibum1970

I can defintetly understand that. But what the original post was pointing out was disney vs other theme parks for 1 day isnt as outrageous as we all like to think it is. Trust me i see it as a super expensive trip and only go about every 5 years (based on value vs reward since for the same price you can do almost anything). But as the original post that got bumped from 2 years ago (before all the covid changes no one could have seen coming..... although yes the cdc has been warning us since the 70s this might happen), this is cost per cost of a low end theme park vs disney for one day where Disney shockingly looks to be the better deal when all costs and experiences are compared. That being said with covid alot of the original post are moot,

I'll tell you, Universal is no cheaper. I love the UNI parks, particularly Islands of Adventure, but they are just as expensive. In fact, I hate to admit but I typically spring for UNI Express as I am only there for one day, instead of four days at Disney. I think the part that also distorts things for me is that my local park's annual pass costs less than a single day pass for Disney. People talk about rides and immersiveness and I won't really find it at my local park but I love coasters and Kings Island has those in abundance. Plus, I can typically go from one to the next with 20-30 minute waits, at the most, and really just keep riding.

Again, it's not apples to apples but part of my cost comparison. However, I can't go to Kings Island (wouldn't want to, really) to ride coasters in January or February and the park is closed between October and mid-April. So, Disney wins on a cost comparison at that time of year all the time.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
but I typically spring for UNI Express

For everybody it's different. EP comes with my AP but only kicks in after 4pm. So I usually get to the park - wait in line for a couple of rides - have a nice lunch - then hit 10-12 rides starting at 4pm. From a guests perspective - Uni's EP is miles ahead of Disney.

I say that because: I know I'll be waiting in a few lines. I'll spend money for food in the park. And then there'll be the payoff of very limited lines. And more often than not, I'll eat again at the parks before I leave.

Under the old FP system as an AP for Disney - I'd eat off property before I got there. Hit my three rides, add another FP, might wait in a line or 2 - and it'd be a 50/50 whether I ate in the park or off property. (Uni's got more of my on-property spend due to how everything was set up)

WDW is still the better destination - but there are so many things Uni does better than Disney.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom