Is Carousel of Progress closing?

Should the Carousel of Progress close?

• Total voters

ArtieJim

This can't be true. I love CoP. I always make my gf go on with me, she can't stand it. Then once it's over I sing the song the rest of our trips.

Clever Name

homer_simpson_in_carousel_of_progress_by_drewthefox-d4t31bk.png

Clever Name

That's what happens when you allocate a meagre budget to an attraction. Don't blame the attraction for the company's lack of investment.
Yes I think you are correct. When GE was still the sponsor the attraction was maintained in perfect condition. It was a great sales pitch for guests to buy modern GE electrical appliances. Also, during its entire run in Disneyland and up until the early 1980's at WDW, CoP was a "free" attraction. Prior to the early 1980's guests had to buy ticket books to use the various attractions. However, some of the attractions (such as CoP) were free because they were advertisements for their respective sponsors. The free attractions always got a lot of business too.

As far as Disney is concerned, CoP without a sponsor is just like a red-headed stepchild. Since GE dropped its sponsorship back in 1985 CoP has steadily deteriorated.

alphac2005

As far as Disney is concerned, CoP without a sponsor is just like a red-headed stepchild. Since GE dropped its sponsorship back in 1985 CoP has steadily deteriorated.

Not quite. It was extensively refurbished and modernized (end scene), at the time, in the 90's. Included was also all new narration by Jean Shepherd. It has been neglected for several years now, but since GE dropped the sponsorship, that's just not accurate.

Clever Name

Not quite. It was extensively refurbished and modernized (end scene), at the time, in the 90's. Included was also all new narration by Jean Shepherd.
It's a matter of opinion as to if these changes could be considered improvements. The "modernized" end scene is a good example of a laughing place even in the 90's.

Expo_Seeker40

It's a matter of opinion as to if these changes could be considered improvements. The "modernized" end scene is a good example of a laughing place even in the 90's.

I don't know of too many families that could afford laserdisc players in 1994, had a talking oven, owned an HDTV, or owned a virtual reality game. In 1994 I had a VCR, a basic analogue TV and in era when many networks still signed off at midnight with the national anthem, and the only talking my oven ever did was relay back the echo of my voice yelling in the kitchen when I burnt something.

Nemo14

I think this thread has run its course. There's nothing new to be added. It's all repetition.

It's all repetition.

It's all repetition.

It's all repetition.

*bursts into "There's a great Big Beautiful Tomorrow"*

*rotates the theateranother 72 degres or so....*

Clever Name

Many attractions have existed without sponsors. Tiki Birds lost their sponsor in the mid 80s, Hall of Presidents have never had a sponsor. Nor has HM, Big Thunder, Splash, PoTC, JC, and more
That's a great point! There is an internal hierarchy within Disney concerning the ranking of attractions and sponsorship is just one of the factors. TWA sponsored Rocket To The Moon at Disneyland for many years and it was never a "free" attraction. Obviously since GE has always been a major corporation has a lot to do with CoP falling from grace and Disney's inability to hang onto that sponsorship.

Clever Name

I don't know of too many families that could afford laserdisc players in 1994, had a talking oven, owned an HDTV, or owned a virtual reality game. In 1994 I had a VCR, a basic analogue TV and in era when many networks still signed off at midnight with the national anthem, and the only talking my oven ever did was relay back the echo of my voice yelling in the kitchen when I burnt something.
Laserdisc players and talking ovens never became mainstream because they were poor designs. You can't do much with an HDTV when the signals you had at that time were all analog. Laserdisc output an analog NTSC signal that was not even close to being high-def. The laserdisc, talking oven and powerglove were all about equal in quality. You were smart to stick with your VCR!

DisneyWorldFred

I was just at WDW Dec5-11 of course Carousel was not working and I not sure what they are doing with that attraction if not removing the attraction upgrade it or refurbish what is an icon to when wdw opened in the 80's. Honesty I loved the ride why remove it but like any other good attraction even 20,000 was taken out. I think eventually Carousel will be gone.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom