Is attendance really down at WDW this or…

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Just throwing this out there before heading out for Memorial Day:

The Magic Kingdom's crowd level of 2 for yesterday (May 26, the Saturday of Memorial Day Weekend) is the lowest crowd level we've observed for that park since we started keeping records in 2010.​

EPCOT was an 8. DHS was a 5. AK was a 6, and those are all in line with past observations.

I'm going to count some MK queues this week to see what's going on.
We were in 3…Epcot was the worst…but not really that awful

CAV

Defcon 3 or 4 had to be when we were there shortly after 9/11. At MGM , Fantasmic only performed a few nights a week and Prime Time was open on Tue Thu Sat and and Hollywood and Vine was open on Mon Wed Fri Sun as some of the cutbacks.
And Tony's Town Square eliminated the free cinnamon roll appetizer when they opened back up for breakfast

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
How much is variable pricing affecting attendance? Are people avoiding the more expensive days? Does the variable pricing help even out the crowds, or do cheaper days tend to be busier than expensive days (depending on time of year…I’d imagine July 4, Christmas/New Year’s weeks will always be busy for the most part).

I’m sure this has already been brought up, but I'm just now hoping in this conversation.
You think $10 here and there really puts a dent in a $8,000 week?

Poseidon Quest

Here’s a fun (🥴) story I’ve never shared on here. I worked at Everest quite a bit ago, but for multiple years. We had counters at the exit (they were overhead) to measure our OHRC. Whenever we ever had hours we could tell we weren’t going to hit our OHRC*, the managers and coordinators (or they would delegate this to “tasking” CMs) would walk through the exit, through the gift shop, through the gate by single rider, back to the unload platform and make the circle again multiple times.

Don’t know if it’s a continued practice or if other attractions have ways of faking their numbers, but that definitely was a regular occurrence while I was there.

*This only occurred when we had a steady line. They weren’t pushing us to do this when we had a walk-on wait, in which case we were not expected to hit our OHRC regardless.

What was the goal? To make the ride look more efficient statistically?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Defcon 3 or 4 had to be when we were there shortly after 9/11. At MGM , Fantasmic only performed a few nights a week and Prime Time was open on Tue Thu Sat and and Hollywood and Vine was open on Mon Wed Fri Sun as some of the cutbacks.
Wdw flatlined in early 2001…because of the end of the millennium special and a delayed belt tightening after the dot.com crash

natatomic

I mean, when you’re trying to cut corners wherever you can, yeah. I’m right in that income range that it would be a considering factor for me. I’m an AP who lives 2 miles away, so it’s a moot point for me. But we have a large family by modern standards, so those $10 per person differences add up. If I lived out of state, I’d be looking to travel in the cheaper season, probably stay off property, bring our own food and drink, and aim to plan the parks on the cheaper days where possible. I know that’s not how everyone does it, but surely I’m not in the only family who looks for any opportunity to save money where they can.

natatomic

What was the goal? To make the ride look more efficient statistically?
Yeah, I suppose. To make it look like the managers were operating a well-run area with an efficient team who always hits their OHRC, I guess? I don’t know what was in it for them. It didn’t give them pay raises as far as I know. Just something to sweeten the old resume, I guess? “Under my leadership, my attractions hit their OHRC 98% of the time because I’m just so inspirational to my cast.” I dunno. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Disstevefan1

Disney wants many families from Denver and elsewhere to come to WDW for their $8K week vacation, and these families don’t mind spending more money if they get a good guest experience.

I worry Disney is not delivering a good enough guest experience to keep them happy.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I mean, when you’re trying to cut corners wherever you can, yeah. I’m right in that income range that it would be a considering factor for me. I’m an AP who lives 2 miles away, so it’s a moot point for me. But we have a large family by modern standards, so those $10 per person differences add up. If I lived out of state, I’d be looking to travel in the cheaper season, probably stay off property, bring our own food and drink, and aim to plan the parks on the cheaper days where possible. I know that’s not how everyone does it, but surely I’m not in the only family who looks for any opportunity to save money where they can.
You’re a Florida resident…that really doesn’t apply to a lot of scenarios

Why would you go on a holiday weekend?

erasure fan1

How much is variable pricing affecting attendance? Are people avoiding the more expensive days? Does the variable pricing help even out the crowds, or do cheaper days tend to be busier than expensive days
I'd guess not so much. I can't be the only one who is restricted to the summer months or a spring or winter break. All conveniently some of the busiest times. Of course it was never about actually reducing crowds in my opinion.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Also, people might be avoiding the more expensive days because they assume that means it’s a higher demand/busier day, regardless of their ability to pay. So would more people choose the cheaper day for that reason, thus inadvertently making it busier?
There I agree…which is ironic because it’s becoming less and less true

But the deal with their price and the American consumer mentality these days seems you either can swing it…or you can’t…not a lot of “fringes” anymore

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I'd guess not so much. I can't be the only one who is restricted to the summer months or a spring or winter break. All conveniently some of the busiest times. Of course it was never about actually reducing crowds in my opinion.
That was crap. It was just free revenue cause they could

“Reducing crowds”…the biggest Iger lie in the book

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Come on, you’re too smart to have only read the first 3 sentences of my response.
…I’ll have you know I’m a complete idiot.

Actually I was in the line for living with the land and got side tracked 😎

But even still…if you have a large family…are you going if you don’t live off 535?
Yikes…I don’t want that bill where a child is $30 for bacon and a Mickey waffle

And a 10 year old is 50

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Ok. I’m going to believe you on that and assume I misinterpreted your responses to my suggestion.

Still, why aren’t you just being up front with the information? You want us to know we’re wrong but won’t tell us what the correct info is.
You didn’t

Short and dismissive without any substance

Been watching that schtick for years

Meh

lentesta

Premium Member
How much is variable pricing affecting attendance? Are people avoiding the more expensive days? Does the variable pricing help even out the crowds, or do cheaper days tend to be busier than expensive days (depending on time of year…I’d imagine July 4, Christmas/New Year’s weeks will always be busy for the most part).

I’m sure this has already been brought up, but I'm just now hoping in this conversation.

One of our team says that attendance is lower when the Pirate Pass is blocked out. I haven't checked that, but it's an interesting idea.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom