Is attendance really down at WDW this or…

ConfettiCupcake

My own anecdote - as an out of state guest and not an AP, the seasonal pricing of the tickets has never impacted our decision. Seasonal prices of the resorts absolutely do as those are much bigger swings, but the ticket differences are pretty negligible that we go when works for us and pay whatever the price is.

flynnibus

Premium Member
IIRC UOR's got this or is installing it. And good point about accumulating errors. I think they reset counts hourly, but I could be wrong.

It’s certainly the cleanest approach. No need to integrate with countless different ride systems (and therefore great risk reduction too)… works with every ride vehicle design that has an open view to it…. You almost always are guaranteed a spot where every ride vehicle will pass and guests will be upright and clearly visible in a sheltered, slow moving area. And no worries about ‘leakage’ through alternative exits, strollers, backpacks, etc.

Plus it’s all software that runs on commodity hardware without huge processing demands.

Lilofan

Wdw flatlined in early 2001…because of the end of the millennium special and a delayed belt tightening after the dot.com crash
Along with some of my tech stocks too but I managed don’t know how to survive that big layoff in the early 2000s. Survived and rewarded with more responsibility without additional salary.

erasure fan1

That was crap. It was just free revenue cause they could

“Reducing crowds”…the biggest Iger lie in the book
We all know, or should know, that if they actually cared about capacity they would have been expanding actual capacity in the parks. Building rides wouldn't have been stagnant for almost 2 decades. They would have been adding not replacing attractions.

Lilofan

True, but record lows according to his numbers over the last almost 15 years. Could just be more evidence that people are not traveling down there (and that season pass holders are propping a lot up)
MCO is advising extremely busy weekend at the airport. Lots of other options besides WDW. That tourist tax that tourists pay included in some of their vacation expenses which equates to the billions help fuel FL.

lentesta

Premium Member
Ground temp at Dinoland was just under 124F at noon today. Will get hotter.

IMG_1303.jpeg

Disone

Remember that temperatures are measured in the shade.

The cumulative effects of direct sunlight, clothing, radiating heat from asphalt/concrete/buildings/etc., aren't factored into that.

I think we've measured the ground in Adventureland at near 130F. That's enough to cook steak.
When I used to live in Phoenix Arizona, every summer one of the news stations would inevitably do the obligatory fry the egg on a sidewalk story.

95° in Phoenix is definitely more pleasant than 95° in Orlando. The problem is Phoenix doesn't stop at 95°. When it's 115° in in Phoenix, it's not anything like 95° and just feels like 105° due to the heat index.

No, Phoenix will feel like 115° because it actually is 115°. You feel like your shoes are melting and you can't touch the seat belts in your car for a good 10 minutes until after the AC's been on. But still I'm in the middle of this heat and humidity in Orlando today and pleasant isn't a word I would use to describe it.

Today I'm checking out the new SeaWorld parade. If I don't melt first.

Last edited:

Lilofan

When I used to live in Phoenix Arizona, every summer one of the new stations would inevitably do the obligatory fry the egg on a sidewalk story.

95° in Phoenix is definitely more pleasant than 95° in Orlando. The problem is Phoenix doesn't stop at 95°. When it's 115° in in Phoenix, it's not the case that it's 95° and just feels like a heat index of 105 degrees, Phoenix will feel like 115° because it actually is 115°. You feel like your shoes are melting and you can't touch the seat belts in your car for a good 10 minutes until after the AC's been on. But still I'm in the middle of this heat and humidity in Orlando today and pleasant isn't a word I would use to describe it.

Today I'm checking out the new SeaWorld parade. If I don't melt first.
Actually the dry heat in Vegas when I was there one July was 115 degrees air temp. It was more reasonable that a hot and sticky 97 at WDW. The nice part in Vegas was every 20-30 yards , young guys had portable coolers selling soda and water cash only on the sidewalk Strip.

Minnesota disney fan

The surface temp is no joke. Before we lock our car at the parking lot , we use towels to cover our leather seats , leather steering wheel etc. Interior temps inside car can cook bacon and eggs right on the leather seat. 3 days in June one year I had a complete reroof. For 3 days 5 roofers looking like ninjas worked 8-4 only taking a 30 min break to sit in their work van to have lunch. I advised these hard workers in Spanish if they needed to use my bathroom just let me know . They never did , their work van never left my driveway during those 3 days. The temps each day was 98,95,96. Up on the roof was surely triple digits. They did a great job. Who knows , maybe my landscaping got fertilized during that time.
I think it's more due to the fact they were accustomed to working in a lot of heat and humidity. We moved from the North to the deep South and once we got accustomed to the heat/humidity we were not affected much because our bodies had adjusted to the heat. I can't believe how much we used to do outside in that heat now that I am older and live in the extreme North, LOL.

lentesta

Premium Member
Actually the dry heat in Vegas when I was there one July was 115 degrees air temp. It was more reasonable that a hot and sticky 97 at WDW. The nice part in Vegas was every 20-30 yards , young guys had portable coolers selling soda and water cash only on the sidewalk Strip.

I’ve been in Palm Springs at 122F. The A/C could only get things down to 85F or so during the day.

jlhwdw

Here’s a fun (🥴) story I’ve never shared on here. I worked at Everest quite a bit ago, but for multiple years. We had counters at the exit (they were over head as you walked into see your on-ride photos) to measure our OHRC. Whenever we ever had hours we could tell we weren’t going to hit our OHRC*, the managers and coordinators (or they would delegate this to “tasking” CMs) would walk through the exit, through the gift shop, through the gate by single rider, back to the unload platform and make the circle again multiple times.
I remember my managers and coordinators doing this as well. I also remember them calling in just before the end of an hour asking us to "manually add 'x' number of guests" with the manual add button we would use when guests in wheelchairs, strollers, etc. would come in and not go through the regular photocell. Sometimes the number would be 40 or 50, other times 200.

I also remember managers asking us to overload preshows or queue areas that were after the guest counting photocell to an incredibly uncomfortable area if it meant "hitting our numbers." Even if we pushed 90 or 100 guests into a narrow hallway or already too crowded preshow room those guests were still waiting the same amount of time and were still 10-20 minutes away from boarding the ride. But we got them through the photocell to count for the previous hour which is all that mattered to the managers.

Lilofan

I remember my managers and coordinators doing this as well. I also remember them calling in just before the end of an hour asking us to "manually add 'x' number of guests" with the manual add button we would use when guests in wheelchairs, strollers, etc. would come in and not go through the regular photocell. Sometimes the number would be 40 or 50, other times 200.

I also remember managers asking us to overload preshows or queue areas that were after the guest counting photocell to an incredibly uncomfortable area if it meant "hitting our numbers." Even if we pushed 90 or 100 guests into a narrow hallway or already too crowded preshow room those guests were still waiting the same amount of time and were still 10-20 minutes away from boarding the ride. But we got them through the photocell to count for the previous hour which is all that mattered to the managers.
If only " These Walls Could Talk " is coming true.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom