Is attendance really down at WDW this or…

AEfx

My last trip started 2 years ago today. This is the longest stretch without a trip there in 18 years for me. There are a multitude of reasons why and 99% of them are due to Disney continually cutting out things/perks, the ridiculous price increases and prices vs value.
Very same boat.

Every time I even think about it, it only lasts a few minutes because I just can't justify spending that kind of scratch for the current offerings and restrictions (even if they have started to walk those slightly back).

And then I think about Universal, which is like half the price. But I'm like...while I'm ok with that (spent plenty of time at WDW in my life), my spouse has never been, and it's like - how can we spend a week in FL and not do Disney?

We are both working class folks, and even without kids, the price of a one week vacation at WDW right now is about the same as a year of utilities for our house (which is a pretty high number, considering we live in the Northeast and have fuel costs for heating half the year in addition to water, electricity, etc).

It's this never-ending circle of when I think - well, we could sacrifice a little and just swing it - but then it's back to the reduced offerings, all the Genie Plus/LL nonsense, etc. - so...we just don't go, period. It's really sad, honestly, and I can't imagine we are alone.

Disstevefan1

Very same boat.

Every time I even think about it, it only lasts a few minutes because I just can't justify spending that kind of scratch for the current offerings and restrictions (even if they have started to walk those slightly back).

And then I think about Universal, which is like half the price. But I'm like...while I'm ok with that (spent plenty of time at WDW in my life), my spouse has never been, and it's like - how can we spend a week in FL and not do Disney?

We are both working class folks, and even without kids, the price of a one week vacation at WDW right now is about the same as a year of utilities for our house (which is a pretty high number, considering we live in the Northeast and have fuel costs for heating half the year in addition to water, electricity, etc).

It's this never-ending circle of when I think - well, we could sacrifice a little and just swing it - but then it's back to the reduced offerings, all the Genie Plus/LL nonsense, etc. - so...we just don't go, period. It's really sad, honestly, and I can't imagine we are alone.
You are doing yourselves a disservice not giving all the Universal Orlando parks and resorts a try.

The Colonel

Anecdotal evidence, I know. I have been going to WDW at least three times a year for the last 20 or so years, often five or six times a year. I was shocked at the low wait times and lack of crowds last week. And this was while a major cheerleading competition was going on. Many rides that said 15 minute waits were actually walk-ons. Many rides were posted at 5-10 minutes. This is the first time I really felt like the chickens were coming home to roost.

Andrew25

Anecdotal evidence, I know. I have been going to WDW at least three times a year for the last 20 or so years, often five or six times a year. I was shocked at the low wait times and lack of crowds last week. And this was while a major cheerleading competition was going on. Many rides that said 15 minute waits were actually walk-ons. Many rides were posted at 5-10 minutes. This is the first time I really felt like the chickens were coming home to roost.
This late April-Memorial day is now the quietest period in the parks. This summer will be a big testament as to how Orlando fares.

AEfx

You are doing yourselves a disservice not giving all the Universal Orlando parks and resorts a try.
That was actually our plan last year, and we were going to do a MVMCP so at least they could see the MK while we were there. Then my spouse had a major medical issue that was several weeks in a regional hospital just before we were to go, so that went out the window. We will probably try again this year. As I said, I would be totally fine with a week at Universal without Disney - but hauling the spouse all the way across the country and not going at all just seems kind of cruel as they have never been LOL.

JoeCamel

That was actually our plan last year, and we were going to do a MVMCP so at least they could see the MK while we were there. Then my spouse had a major medical issue that was several weeks in a regional hospital just before we were to go, so that went out the window. We will probably try again this year. As I said, I would be totally fine with a week at Universal without Disney - but hauling the spouse all the way across the country and not going at all just seems kind of cruel as they have never been LOL.
If they have never been and you travel to the area you have to go. Isn't even a choice

Disstevefan1

You have visited so much for so many years, I trust your anecdotal evidence.

To me, this is good news for the visitor, unless that start cutting EVERYTHING big time.

It will be interesting to see what happens.

seabreezept813

AMEN!
For this reason we hardly ever ride Slinky
It was the one thing that got me during the week of 102 temps we went during last year. Waiting with my toddler and preschooler during RS I covered them in the stroller and kept putting water on them, but I couldn't find any shade for me. Then walking across to ToT, I got super dizzy. Luckily I had drank a lot of water and even pedialyte, so I course corrected. But that spot was brutal. I have in my notes now no Star Wars Land or Toy Story Land 12-3, which will definitely make planning that day tricky this year.

SamusAranX

It's certainly doable and won't kill you with the appropriate precautions... just miserable experience at times lol

How WDI/Universal Creative still design outdoor queues with no shade and no fans is beyond me.
The cynic in me is saying that is purposeful. To drive LL/express sales :greedy:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Interesting
This late April-Memorial day is now the quietest period in the parks. This summer will be a big testament as to how Orlando fares.
The summer is gonna be dead

They told us months ago if you know what to look for

StarshipDisney

so...we just don't go, period. It's really sad, honestly, and I can't imagine we are alone.
Rest well assured that you are not alone. I have been in this minority for awhile now, but it seems that our ranks grow bigger every day!

Unfortunately, Disney could not care less about losing its once loyal customer base. They think it is impossible for Disney to fall regardless of what they do!

Andrew25

The cynic in me is saying that is purposeful. To drive LL/express sales :greedy:
I think it's just shortsightedness from them and how easy it is to cut a shade structure during budget meetings. When things start to cost overrun, guest comfort starts to get cut.

Interesting

The summer is gonna be dead

They told us months ago if you know what to look for
That is my guess, but they've been pushing lots of FL resident deals (both resorts) that might convince priced out locals to fill the parks.

Even if they don't want to air condition indoor queues, indoor queues with fans are better than outdoor queues.
Yes, anything is better than standing in the sun. I don't need A/C, just block the sun lol

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom