Is attendance really down at WDW this or…

Andrew25

Yes, this theory has been around for 20 years but in those 20 years they were still packing them in at the parks, but are we now seeing this as a reality is what I am asking?
Attendance has softened compared to the post-Covid highs, but I don't think people are skipping out on WDW anytime soon. I am astonished every time I head to the parks and see how crowded they are on any given day. There's a larger "Disney Adult" market now that has added even more guests to the parks. Universal is also busier than ever on any day, so Orlando overall is still healthily attended. There's also more people living in Orlando than 20 years ago that helps feed the parks during slower periods.

What I'm interested in the most is what their plans are for the summer long-term if it gets hotter each year. Do they just "give up" on trying to convince people to visit in the summer, or do they start improving the parks with indoor cool-off areas/covered walkways?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Yes, this theory has been around for 20 years but in those 20 years they were still packing them in at the parks, but are we now seeing this as a reality is what I am asking?
There is something different about the attendance drop right now

There are probably several factors here…within Disney controls and outside of it.

Is the price a big one? It’s becoming hard to argue

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Attendance has softened compared to the post-Covid highs, but I don't think people are skipping out on WDW anytime soon. I am astonished every time I head to the parks and see how crowded they are on any given day. There's a larger "Disney Adult" market now that has added even more guests to the parks. Universal is also busier than ever on any day, so Orlando overall is still healthily attended. There's also more people living in Orlando than 20 years ago that helps feed the parks during slower periods.

What I'm interested in the most is what their plans are for the summer long-term if it gets hotter each year. Do they just "give up" on trying to convince people to visit in the summer, or do they start improving the parks with indoor cool-off areas/covered walkways?
Why are they saying attendance is down then?

What’s the angle?

Disstevefan1

Hotter each year is debatable.
Of all the variables that would stop visitors, in my opinion, heat is not one of them.
BUT, you are right, Iger does blame things like heat.

Lilofan

I live nearby the parks, and I can't stand being in them for more than hour during the summer.

If it weren't for those brutal walks through the parking lot asphalt, I might have lasted (and spend more $) longer in the parks. They really need to start spending on improving the guest experience in the short-term if they don't want the summer to die off attendance-wise. Shade structures for the parking lot would help tremendously.
The ones working hard for their paycheck are the paramedics of Reedy Creek and the first aid locations of the parks to deal with a number of heat related issues. Irony the ones that have opinions on the heat not being the issue haven’t posted they were there last summer.

Ayla

My last trip started 2 years ago today. This is the longest stretch without a trip there in 18 years for me. There are a multitude of reasons why and 99% of them are due to Disney continually cutting out things/perks, the ridiculous price increases and prices vs value.

Andrew25

Hotter each year is debatable.
Of all the variables that would stop visitors, in my opinion, heat is not one of them.
BUT, you are right, Iger does blame things like heat.
I can assure you people are far more comfortable now taking their kids during the cooler school period than in July/August.

Last summer was quiet at the parks, especially on the hotter days that kept locals completely out.

StarshipDisney

My last trip started 2 years ago today. This is the longest stretch without a trip there in 18 years for me. There are a multitude of reasons why and 99% of them are due to Disney continually cutting out things/perks, the ridiculous price increases and prices vs value.

Roger that.

Could not agree more! Our last trip was also 2022 and no current plans to go back. If Disney ever wants us back, then they will have to lure us back.

Not saying that will ever happen. But still...

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Wait. Hold the phone. It's gets hot in Orlando from May through September?!?!?!

Fake Surprised Season 8 GIF by Friends

Tha Realest

I’m with you. We went a bunch during Covid as we have family that lives nearby. But I we’ve pumped the brakes since they brought G+ online. That, and the lack of new attractions really gave me questioning the value proposition. Am I really going to pay $150+/day AND $25-30/PP a day so we can ride Peter Pan again?

seabreezept813

I live nearby the parks, and I can't stand being in them for more than hour during the summer.

If it weren't for those brutal walks through the parking lot asphalt, I might have lasted (and spend more $) longer in the parks. They really need to start spending on improving the guest experience in the short-term if they don't want the summer to die off attendance-wise. Shade structures for the parking lot would help tremendously.
We do August all the time. Last year was like that "historical" week. Even then, the heat barely bothered us. I had one moment in HS I thought I was going to black out on ToT and I almost didn't want my kids staying in the pool mid day 1 or 2 days because being outside was a lot. Hollywood Studios is the roughest park heat wise, AK has much more shade and Epcot and MK are fine. But overall, most of Disney is in indoors with AC. Add in some long meals and we find it much more pleasant weather-wise than a day at Six Flags in New England in August--because everything there is outdoors.

seabreezept813

just don't build queues like Slinky...worst design ever!

Andrew25

We do August all the time. Last year was like that "historical" week. Even then, the heat barely bothered us. I had one moment in HS I thought I was going to black out on ToT and I almost didn't want my kids staying in the pool mid day 1 or 2 days because being outside was a lot. Hollywood Studios is the roughest park heat wise, AK has much more shade and Epcot and MK are fine. But overall, most of Disney is in indoors with AC. Add in some long meals and we find it much more pleasant weather-wise than a day at Six Flags in New England in August--because everything there is outdoors.
It's certainly doable and won't kill you with the appropriate precautions... just miserable experience at times lol

just don't build queues like Slinky...worst design ever!
How WDI/Universal Creative still design outdoor queues with no shade and no fans is beyond me.

seabreezept813

It's certainly doable and won't kill you with the appropriate precautions... just miserable experience at times lol

How WDI/Universal Creative still design outdoor queues with no shade and no fans is beyond me.
It's funny because it genuinely doesn't bother me. My husband and stepdaughter get minorly peeved by it. But I've been bringing my daughters and even at ages 1.5-3 the heat was never a problem with them. I think it's because we're used to doing things in the heat in Massachusetts during the summer without the indoor AC escapes, which aren't typical here. We also take our time at meals so everyone can rest/recover a bit.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom