Is attendance really down at WDW this or…

LSLS

Interesting

The summer is gonna be dead

They told us months ago if you know what to look for
I'm going to be fascinated. We are back the week of the 4th for a dance thing again (so EXACT same week), and the hotel prices on site are pretty substantially higher than they were when we went last year, which is really baffling to me.

Lilofan

This is not true. I will not touch anything in Orlando from late April to late October. Period. Not even if it was free park tickets and they paid me large sums of money by the hour to sit in the parks so yes, heat will stop visitors.

Sure, overall, we know less people are going post pandemic, but of the subset of people that still go, many are moving out of the summer months because we just don't want to deal with it. That leads to softer attendance in the hotter part of the year. Of the people who will still subject themselves to Orlando in the summer, many will skip a day or cut a day very short if it is hot further decreasing attendance. Finally, the locals will not show up in high numbers on the brutal days which also drives attendance down.

Heat absolutely impacts attendance and it is a problem all of the Orlando area parks are going to need to address at some point.

Roberts over at Comcast even said heat was driving down their attendance last summer so this isn't unique to Disney. Sure, both CEOs may want to play it as if that is the ONLY reason, which we all know it isn't, but it is certainly a reason that has a large enough impact to discuss.
So Iger isn't the only one whistling that tune of the heat.

Grimley1968

When Slinky first opened, there was a line of umbrellas placed along the path near it in Toy Story Land, and if the line was extra long you could stand under them until you got to the main queue, which even then had virtually no shade. Seems like they should have at least redeployed those umbrellas to the main queue. Are those umbrellas at least still on that path near Slinky?

Disstevefan1

I'm going to be fascinated. We are back the week of the 4th for a dance thing again (so EXACT same week), and the hotel prices on site are pretty substantially higher than they were when we went last year, which is really baffling to me.
They have to make up for the lower occupancy somehow ;)

disneyflush

Disney today is this monstrous vacation thing that almost demands a week there to not leave feeling like you shorted yourself and/or your family of the ability to fully consume it. So booking a full week there in the summer feels like such a waste anymore with the weather. I could argue as a kid when we went pre-2000 that families were able to visit Florida/Orlando and WDW would be a day or 2 on the agenda next to Gatorland, Cape Canaveral, the beach, etc. so casually showing up and enjoying it for a brief stint was fun and affordable despite the heat because you weren't all-in on it. But now it needs to be a week and they have elevated the price point past actual world travel destinations so its easier to head to Ireland or Italy for a week in the summer instead of Florida 100 degree days in July for more money.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Disney today is this monstrous vacation thing that almost demands a week there to not leave feeling like you shorted yourself and/or your family of the ability to fully consume it. So booking a full week there in the summer feels like such a waste anymore with the weather. I could argue as a kid when we went pre-2000 that families were able to visit Florida/Orlando and WDW would be a day or 2 on the agenda next to Gatorland, Cape Canaveral, the beach, etc. so casually showing up and enjoying it for a brief stint was fun and affordable despite the heat because you weren't all-in on it. But now it needs to be a week and they have elevated the price point past actual world travel destinations so its easier to head to Ireland or Italy for a week in the summer instead of Florida 100 degree days in July for more money.
There’s not substantially more there now than there was in 1998…if you want to break it down

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
We keep hearing all these excuses about the heat... but we all really know what would "turbocharge" attendance back this summer:
1714592703635.png

erasure fan1

Unfortunately, Disney could not care less about losing its once loyal customer base. They think it is impossible for Disney to fall regardless of what they do!
This is it exactly. Modern Disney has no fear of losing their loyal customers. They believe they'll show up anyway. And if not, their place will be taken by someone new who isn't as hard to please and is going to spend more. I was an every year 8 or 9 day vacation since around 95/96. Since 2016 we've been once and that was last year. So for 7yrs not a promo or insensitive or even a hey, where have you been email. Why? We don't fall into their magical demographic of consumer spending.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom