Is attendance really down at WDW this or…

EPCOT-O.G.

The number is under half a billion. Which is indeed a lot and disappointing. But, it's a number that over the life of all those movies in the post-theatrical windows can make up that loss.
I hope they say this on the earnings call a month from now. I’d love to see how the market reacts to this spin.

ohioguy

I think it's safe to say that the current attendance and box office troubles are a direct result of the lack of disposable income during inflationary times, and the drying up of any cash from the Covid years that many Americans were able to save. People are traveling closer to home to cut cost. I had a flight cross country over the 4th, and the plane was maybe 3/4 full.

CntrlFlPete

I think it's safe to say that the current attendance and box office troubles are a direct result of the lack of disposable income during inflationary times, and the drying up of any cash from the Covid years that many Americans were able to save. People are traveling closer to home to cut cost. I had a flight cross country over the 4th, and the plane was maybe 3/4 full.

MCO predicted a 16% increase in July 4th traffic over last year:

https://orlandoairports.net/press/2...4th-arrives-at-orlando-international-airport/

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Disney has never had a significant attendance dip that was not attached to a significant recession.

Until now

Touchdown

Also, there was plenty of people in Orlando, they just were at Universal, Sea World and other places. People aren’t going to Disney World. Money is some of it, but I think the barriers are a large part too, park reservations, no park hopping before 2pm, genie+, etc. Disney needs to lower the complexity, ASAP.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
Also, there was plenty of people in Orlando, they just were at Universal, Sea World and other places. People aren’t going to Disney World. Money is some of it, but I think the barriers are a large part too, park reservations, no park hopping before 2pm, genie+, etc. Disney needs to lower the complexity, ASAP.
but we were told park reservations were to make things better for us 👀 lol

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It’s a variety of factors

Price is first and foremost.
Charging a lot to get in and then charging to not get on only 4-5 rides a day is a hard sell.

But the planning has to be huge too. Universal is about the same prices…but they aren’t trying to make people schedule every second so they can save a Buck or two here and there on a college programmer.
It’s just asking too much.

Splash4eva

False.

That number comes from a nerdrager who cherry-picked out Avatar 2 from the list.

The number is under half a billion. Which is indeed a lot and disappointing. But, it's a number that over the life of all those movies in the post-theatrical windows can make up that loss.
and that is a good thing? something Disney should be gloating about? will they be highlighting this fact during their next earnings call to Wall St?

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
It’s a variety of factors

Price is first and foremost.
Charging a lot to get in and then charging to not get on only 4-5 rides a day is a hard sell.

But the planning has to be huge too. Universal is about the same prices…but they aren’t trying to make people schedule every second so they can save a Buck or two here and there on a college programmer.
It’s just asking too much.
Exactly - people want to get away from their job and have fun, not to have another job figuring out how to even have a vacation at Disney World.

And think of just some of the things changed over the last few years:
Park Reservations requirements
Park Hopping restrictions
No more magical express
Genie+ LL and ILL insanity and extra cost
7am booking lotto and Olympic sprint
Price hikes everywhere
Variable costs (G+, tickets, etc)
Food quality down in some places
Park openings at different times now
Ride downtime more often than before
Etc etc etc

po1998

Exactly - people want to get away from their job and have fun, not to have another job figuring out how to even have a vacation at Disney World.

No more magical express
Price hikes everywhere
Etc etc etc
Pay more, get less, and you will like it!

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

No more magical express
Price hikes everywhere
Etc etc etc
Well I had an anecdotal example with 5 lego store employees on Monday (store was empty) about wdw and they proceeded to unload about how it was “like a job”. Same complaint from all.

The detest was palpable.

I didn’t really have to feed their “fire”

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom