Is attendance really down at WDW this or…

JD80

How do they lose? Just because they don't share the love you have for Uni? If we plan to visit Uni, it will for one day at Epic. If Uni does not offer the one day option that we will continue to enjoy our times and stays at WDW. The one clear winner is the state of FL. The two biggest industries are agriculture and tourism.
He's saying that the only people who lose are those that want to add EU only to their WDW vacation. Everyone else who planned on doing multi day at Uni can make it work.

erasure fan1

I don't think it's a savvy play. There are going to be quite a bit of unused tixkets. And people think Disney is nickle and diming or complicated.
I'm not sure why people think there will be unused tickets? Universal has never really been more than a one day side trek for us. Now with 3 parks and a water park that rivals Disney, plus city walk we could easily do 5 days minimum at Uni. That would mean we would only do one Disney park at best. I don't think we're the only ones with that same mindset.

Is it nickel and diming? Not sure. I'd say it's it's no worse than reservations and virtual queues. It would be something right out of the Disney playbook for sure. Will it hurt them overall? It's a possibility. But I think the majority of people who will take a trip to Uni, will want to do multiple days anyway. Sure the vloggers are going to get their diapers in wad, but who cares about them.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I'm not sure why people think there will be unused tickets? Universal has never really been more than a one day side trek for us. Now with 3 parks and a water park that rivals Disney, plus city walk we could easily do 5 days minimum at Uni. That would mean we would only do one Disney park at best. I don't think we're the only ones with that same mindset.

Is it nickel and diming? Not sure. I'd say it's it's no worse than reservations and virtual queues. It would be something right out of the Disney playbook for sure. Will it hurt them overall? It's a possibility. But I think the majority of people who will take a trip to Uni, will want to do multiple days anyway. Sure the vloggers are going to get their diapers in wad, but who cares about them.
You’re in a place where many refuse to go near universal (though few admit it)

…cause of those magical trips to port orleans

Grain of salt

Last edited:

Lilofan

Not a deal breaker but Disney has been known for mediocre food at best in a number of places. Who knows if food quality can be improved at the parks then perhaps guests will begin a better mood to charge more on the card or attendance improves. I’ve visited a number of places that good quality is light years ahead of Orlando theme parks. Eating quality food puts the consumer in a better mood to enjoy the experiences and possibly spend more $$. It’s unfortunate that our family is resigned to the fact that majority of theme park food sucks.

Last edited:

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
Not a deal breaker but Disney has been known for mediocre food at best in a number of places. Who knows if food quality can be improved at the parks then perhaps guests will begin a better mood to charge more on the card or attendance improves. I’ve visited a number of places that good quality is light years ahead of Orlando theme parks. Eating quality food puts the consumer in a better mood to enjoy the experiences and possibly spend more $$. It’s unfortunate that our family is resigned to the fact that majority of theme park food sucks.
I still think Disney has better theme park food than most other theme parks based on my experience. The problem I think is the food quality has gone down in many places while prices have gone up

Same with Disney quality as a whole unfortunately

Lilofan

I still think Disney has better theme park food than most other theme parks based on my experience. The problem I think is the food quality has gone down in many places while prices have gone up

One unique aspect of food options we enjoy is at Epcot World Showcase. The packaged foods in the merchandise locations in the countries are items you don’t find at your typical Wal Mart Wegmans and Publix. I really miss the food kiosk Beaver Tails which served deep fried sweet goodness in front of Canada. Closest place to eat them is travel to Canada.

John park hopper

Disney has the problem that long term guest remember when Disney was exceptional (not a case of rose colored glasses) so we expect the same standards to be held. New guest experience the current state of Disney's lowered standards and accept it because they know no better-- it is their normal. Management knows this and they take full advantage in order to increase the bottom line

Lilofan

Disney has the problem that long term guest remember when Disney was exceptional (not a case of rose colored glasses) so we expect the same standards to be held. New guest experience the current state of Disney's lowered standards and accept it because they know no better-- it is their normal. Management knows this and they take full advantage in order to increase the bottom line
TWDC and other companies are under pressure to not perform long term but rather short term to impress Wall Street. It’s called “ quarterly capitalism “. Look for ways to extract more and more from guests to improve bottom line while keeping expenses low. Parades eliminated were a way for guests instead of waiting for the parade is to keep spending money while operational expenses of parades went bye bye. It’s not pretty but then again running a huge corporation is not either.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
TWDC and other companies are under pressure to not perform long term but rather short term to impress Wall Street. It’s called “ quarterly capitalism “. Look for ways to extract more and more from guests to improve bottom line while keeping expenses low. Parades eliminated were a way for guests instead of waiting for the parade is to keep spending money while operational expenses of parades went bye bye. It’s not pretty but then again running a huge corporation is not either.
Lots of people also spend money because of a parade. Many line up and get snacks and drinks.

Disney’s problem is worrying too much about the short term vs the long term which has got them in the position they are in. Bad decisions that aren’t customer friendly and stagnant parks for several years incoming.

That’s why I say the problems they have they have created for themselves by being blind to what they should be doing and making poor management decisions along the way. Bob is the captain of that ship

lentesta

Premium Member
Crystal Palace today at 8:45 am:

CrystalPalaceMK20240706.jpg

KikoKea

I agree with those who have said that visitors are getting disenchanted with the crowds, the tired looking attractions that have been neglected, and the whole Virtual Queues/Genie+/LL mess, etc. Our AP expires the end of the month and we've gone less times than usual this past year for those reasons.

Oddly, we are actually going in Aug- but only because of the Aug Orlando Informer Meetup at USF. We really enjoy those (very low crowds and free food that is better than WDW's park stuff) Since we will be in Orlando for that & do not plan to visit WDW for at least a year, we chose to stay and attend 1 Halloween party afterwards- no parks, just the party. Other time will be spent poolside or visiting other areas near Orlando.

Lilofan

I agree with those who have said that visitors are getting disenchanted with the crowds, the tired looking attractions that have been neglected, and the whole Virtual Queues/Genie+/LL mess, etc. Our AP expires the end of the month and we've gone less times than usual this past year for those reasons.

Oddly, we are actually going in Aug- but only because of the Aug Orlando Informer Meetup at USF. We really enjoy those (very low crowds and free food that is better than WDW's park stuff) Since we will be in Orlando for that & do not plan to visit WDW for at least a year, we chose to stay and attend 1 Halloween party afterwards- no parks, just the party. Other time will be spent poolside or visiting other areas near Orlando.
One place that is unique is the new constructed Evermore resort formerly Grand Cypress resort near Disney Springs. The swimming area is literally as big as a lake. Could be a future stay with our family.

flyerjab

I usually disagree with the sentiment that the food has gone downhill. After thinking about it, however, we do not eat in the parks that much haha. On this 4 and a half day trip (Riviera Tower Studio) for example:

In Park: Brown Derby, Tiffins, Golden Oak Outpost (beignets)

Out of Park: Summer House on the Lake, Primo Piatto, Narcoossee’s, Toledo, Boathouse

I feel like the out of park locations - including Disney Springs - are numerous and excellent. Conversely, although most in park locations are okay, many aren’t worth writing home about. Which is why, typically, when we do eat in park it is typically at places like Tiffins. However, I will argue that Satu’li is potentially still one of the best QS locations on property.

Disneyson

This is very salient in the point of Epic Universe.

If Universal makes good on their promises for live entertainment in EU, it will inevitably draw comparisons to not only other Disney parks, but also the Universal parks.

Losses in Pandora and Asia will likely be far more obvious when compared to EU’s concentration of activity in all lands. Especially Studios’ cuts will be pretty glaring, I imagine. I wonder if D23 will announce “even more limited time magic” next year to draw attention to the “Disney difference”.

Not only will Disney be pressured to restore outdoor pop-up entertainment, but so will Universal. Just over the past few years Universal has developed spectacular streetmosphere that has been cut. The park needs to increase parade performer numbers and extend shift hours in order to allow for more all-day entertainment. Not to mention the glaring decimation of all entertainment in Islands of Adventure, including this citizens of Port of Entry, Sinbad, the Discovery Center, and a giant empty theatre in Toon Lagoon.

celluloid

This is very salient in the point of Epic Universe.

If Universal makes good on their promises for live entertainment in EU, it will inevitably draw comparisons to not only other Disney parks, but also the Universal parks.

Losses in Pandora and Asia will likely be far more obvious when compared to EU’s concentration of activity in all lands. Especially Studios’ cuts will be pretty glaring, I imagine. I wonder if D23 will announce “even more limited time magic” next year to draw attention to the “Disney difference”.

Not only will Disney be pressured to restore outdoor pop-up entertainment, but so will Universal. Just over the past few years Universal has developed spectacular streetmosphere that has been cut. The park needs to increase parade performer numbers and extend shift hours in order to allow for more all-day entertainment. Not to mention the glaring decimation of all entertainment in Islands of Adventure, including this citizens of Port of Entry, Sinbad, the Discovery Center, and a giant empty theatre in Toon Lagoon.

While there have been cuts and mostly allocations. Universal Studios Florida still has far more live entertainment atmosphere than any other theme park I know of.

A lot of the cuts were due to how staffed this parade and Dreamworks is. It has balanced out. Most areas) have at least two live performance shows and multiple street interactions in street to see. Not counting the huge character driven parade that just opened.

IOA definitely needs something of the scale of Poseidon and Sinbad back.

Marvel characters, Wizarding World student shows, Raptor in JP and characters Suess are the only real live characters in the park. It is weak compared to more that was once there, but IOA is not completely void. Discovery Center was never technically entertainment. It is ops. They no longer have their trikes but they still interact and do Raptor Hatchings.
Raptor Encounter is entertainment.

Animal Kingdom and DHS were decimated long before Pandora's cut its entertainment.

Last edited:

Minnesota disney fan

It's mentioned often on various sites that people only use Universal as a one or 2 days trip. I think that is wrong, or maybe we are the only ones who are going for 5 1/2 days this fall? We always find something to do, not just running from ride to ride. I used to think that way too, until I took the time to actually do more than rides. The last time we were at Universal last year, we only stayed 3 1/2 days which was not enough to see and do all we wanted.
I don't believe that we are the only ones who consider it a vacation destination of more than 2 days.
Years ago I thought the same thing and we only went to Universal for 1 or 2 days during our 10 days WDW trips.
However, that has changed, as WDW has changed. We are now Universal only people.
I'm not picking on you, but just addressing the comments about Universal visits that most people online say stating Universal is only a 1 or 2 day theme park. I don't think that is true now. Now, when Epic Universe opens, that's a whole new ball game:)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom