Is attendance really down at WDW this or…

Vegas Disney Fan

1) they want to steal Disney tourists. People going to EU or Universal are mostly likely going to or considering Disney. Why not admit that internally and snag their hotel money? Make them see Universal products are fun and convert them.

2) ticket packages are nickle and diming ecause people want to go to EU and not have to pay more. Now they have to think about fitting it in with their orlando vacation.
I don’t think Universal cares if the attendance growth comes from “stealing” Disney tourists, new tourists, tourists adding more days to a Orlando vacation, or other… as long as their parks are full, attendance goes up, and profit goes up it’s a win.

If Uni goes from 25 million combined guests to 40 million combined guests I don’t think they’ll care whether Disney attendance goes up or down at the same time. I think the “rivalry” means more to fans than it does to Uni or Disney.

Disstevefan1

You need to consider than most people go for 6 nights or less and want to do Disney. Forcing them to flip their vacation from Disney centric to Universal centric is a big ask for people's once every 2 or 3 year vacation or once in a lifetime vacation.
No one is forcing anybody.

Folks are free to choose Disney OR Universal.

Never thought I would see the day, but here it is.

A bold move by Universal (if it’s true).

It makes me wonder, was this leaked on purpose as a trial ballon to see how folks feel about it?

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
If Uni goes from 25 million combined guests to 40 million combined guests I don’t think they’ll care whether Disney attendance goes up or down at the same time. I think the “rivalry” means more to fans than it does to Uni or Disney.

Thats the nature of destination travel. If there's more varied things to do at a destination it will attract a broader audience especially when its adding more daily capacity. The metropolitan area benefits from more direct and indirect employment, but then again, in a tight labor market how inflexible are the budgetary underpinnings that make these things run ?

ConfettiCupcake

1) they want to steal Disney tourists. People going to EU or Universal are mostly likely going to or considering Disney. Why not admit that internally and snag their hotel money? Make them see Universal products are fun and convert them.

2) ticket packages are nickle and diming ecause people want to go to EU and not have to pay more. Now they have to think about fitting it in with their orlando vacation.

I’m in, just for the laughs that come from them using the Magical Express strategy to remove guests from the bubble.

ConfettiCupcake

Really? If in 1998 Disney said in order to get into animal kingdom you have to buy tickets to our other 3 parks people wouldve killed them.

Agreed. File this under things Universal gets away with that people would slaughter Disney for.

The ability to book a popular attraction with a more advantageous booking window when you’re an onsite guest at Disney or have a longer ticket already bothers people, imagine if Disney gatekept attractions or entire parks for guests who committed more vacation dollars to them. 🍿

the_rich

Agreed. File this under things Universal gets away with that people would slaughter Disney for.

The ability to book a popular attraction with a more advantageous booking window when you’re an onsite guest at Disney or have a longer ticket already bothers people, imagine if Disney gatekept attractions or entire parks for guests who committed more vacation dollars to them. 🍿
I can't like this post enough.

JoeCamel

“When sales launch, in order to visit Epic Universe, guests must purchase a multi-day Universal Orlando ticket package with a three-day minimum — all of which allot only one day at Epic Universe and will not include park-hopping to or from the new park.” apparently this is how.
That was the pre release message to TAs I think

the_rich

That was the pre release message to TAs I think
I got that from attractions magazine. They said universal has given this info to their third party ticket selling partners. Why would they give them this info if they weren't planning on this being the case.

JD80

I don’t think Universal cares if the attendance growth comes from “stealing” Disney tourists, new tourists, tourists adding more days to a Orlando vacation, or other… as long as their parks are full, attendance goes up, and profit goes up it’s a win.

Stealing means getting at least 1 day from a Disney tourist when they weren't going to Unverisal at all.

Or they were going to Unverisal 1 day but stayed on Disney property but now they are on Uni property.

Or did a split stay but now the bulk of it is on Uni property.

It all starts with the margins.

Jrb1979

You need to consider than most people go for 6 nights or less and want to do Disney. Forcing them to flip their vacation from Disney centric to Universal centric is a big ask for people's once every 2 or 3 year vacation or once in a lifetime vacation.
Sure there are those Disney centric people who only visit Disney and may add 1 day at Universal.

There is also the opposite people who only visit Universal. I do think there are those who spilt visits and Universal doing the 3 day ticket is a good idea.

The ones who lose out is those who only want to visit Epic Universe to check it out but want to do the rest of their stay at Disney.

Lilofan

Sure there are those Disney centric people who only visit Disney and may add 1 day at Universal.

There is also the opposite people who only visit Universal. I do think there are those who spilt visits and Universal doing the 3 day ticket is a good idea.

The ones who lose out is those who only want to visit Epic Universe to check it out but want to do the rest of their stay at Disney.
How do they lose? Just because they don't share the love you have for Uni? If we plan to visit Uni, it will for one day at Epic. If Uni does not offer the one day option that we will continue to enjoy our times and stays at WDW. The one clear winner is the state of FL. The two biggest industries are agriculture and tourism.

Jrb1979

How do they lose? Just because they don't share the love you have for Uni? If we plan to visit Uni, it will for one day at Epic. If Uni does not offer the one day option that we will continue to enjoy our times and stays at WDW. The one clear winner is the state of FL. The two biggest industries are agriculture and tourism.
You lose with not being able to visit a park you wanted to visit.

Though I'm sure after the first year things will go back to normal. This plan also helps keep capacity from not overwhelming

ConfettiCupcake

Florida and the guests. Disney guests who will never set foot in Universal still benefit from Universal making EU amazing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom