Is attendance really down at WDW this or…

LAM378

Been here since last Friday and while wait times for rides are not low, the parks and resorts are overall MUCH less crowded than they’ve been on any of my trips since Covid (October ‘21, June ‘22, and April ‘23).

There’s a marked difference everywhere. Low to no waits for QS (walk up, not mobile order), and no issue finding empty tables. Short lines at rope drop to get through security and park entry. No waits for the monorail or boats. We’ve been called within 5 minutes every time we check in online for a table service restaurant. I’ve had no problem getting same day ADRs on the fly, and I’ve had tons of wiggle room changing all my ADR times. Walkways are nowhere near as congested, can always find a bench to sit on, and most Lightning Lanes have truly involved all walking on, no waiting.

We spent the first 3 nights at GF and the past 3 at YC. At both resorts they’ve claimed they’re at peak capacity but I absolutely don’t understand how. Lobbies aren’t overrun. Plenty of lounge chairs at the pools are open. The last few years I haven’t been able to get a drink at the pool bar without queuing up behind 5 or 10 other people — not this time. Even little things like no lines for elevators or Freestyle machines.

The only odd thing is that parking lots at the resorts are crazy full. We have a car and drive to lots of our ADRs, and parking has been tough. So there are people here, but I don’t know where they are.

Overall, it’s been incredibly pleasant compared to my last few trips. All those other times, everything felt congested and chaotic. This can’t be good for Disney, but boy have I enjoyed it.

doctornick

We spent the first 3 nights at GF and the past 3 at YC. At both resorts they’ve claimed they’re at peak capacity but I absolutely don’t understand how. Lobbies aren’t overrun. Plenty of lounge chairs at the pools are open. The last few years I haven’t been able to get a drink at the pool bar without queuing up behind 5 or 10 other people — not this time. Even little things like no lines for elevators or Freestyle machines.

The only odd thing is that parking lots at the resorts are crazy full. We have a car and drive to lots of our ADRs, and parking has been tough. So there are people here, but I don’t know where they are.

Maybe it’s a higher percentage of guests simply renting a car or driving in and not spending as many or all days “in the bubble” as even the recent past.

Lilofan

Maybe it’s a higher percentage of guests simply renting a car or driving in and not spending as many or all days “in the bubble” as even the recent past.
In a rental we can go to the two Premium Outlet locations on I-Drive and shop till we drop buying up the good deals. We saw a fellow guest from Brazil buying up thousands of dollars of merchandise which he advised he resells in his home country.

Andrew25

Doesn't surprise me with the amount of FL resident deals available at the moment.

It's a relatively cheap time to visit the parks for FL Residents. $239 for 4-Days ($59 a day) & 30% off rooms.

Being able to get 4-day tickets for less than $1K for an entire family of four is rarity these days.

PREMiERdrum

At both resorts they’ve claimed they’re at peak capacity but I absolutely don’t understand how. Lobbies aren’t overrun. Plenty of lounge chairs at the pools are open. The last few years I haven’t been able to get a drink at the pool bar without queuing up behind 5 or 10 other people — not this time. Even little things like no lines for elevators or Freestyle machines.
It's an artificial capacity number. There's rooms out of inventory at many (most?) resorts.

Shutter rooms, downstaff mousekeeping, all while being "booked to capacity." The great shell game.

Lilofan

Yes, but when Magical Express was free, it was clearly seen as a perk to stay on property and a lot of folks used it. Many more than who use Mears now I think.

How funny would be be if Universal started they own "EPIC Express" from the air port, LOL
There were times that ME ran their buses near empty so that may be a consideration in cost cutting. EPIC Express won't work. To be trapped inside Uni area without a rental would be challenging.

Disstevefan1

There were times that ME ran their buses near empty so that may be a consideration in cost cutting. EPIC Express won't work. To be trapped inside Uni area without a rental would be challenging.
100 percent, Disney did away with ME as a cost cutting measure, passing the cost on to the guest.

Folks show up anyway.

Tha Realest

While I do think DME did affect bookings, put me in the category that bringing it back isn’t a sure silver bullet to boost reservations. Transport to/from is a negligible cost for a trip that now measures many thousands more than when it was offered for “free.”

Put another way, the family that dropped $6K on a trip pre-Covid is likely looking at a similar trip costing them $9-$10K. Bringing back something for free that only costs around $100-$200 out of pocket seems like it won’t move the needle.

MagicHappens1971

I think for many guests Magical Express was about the connivence and not the additional cost of other transportation options. Additionally, I’m sure that most families did not decide to stop visiting WDW based on e removal of ME alone. In the same breath of removing ME, they started charging for FP+ (G+), added parking fees to resorts, and more.

As @Tha Realest just mentioned, a trip to WDW costs thousands more than it did pre-Covid. No matter how you slice it or dice it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom