Is attendance really down at WDW this or…

Jrb1979

It is. Your return time is calculated as five minutes less than the posted wait time.
Than how do they get on so many attractions? There is no way they should be able to get on 7 attractions by afternoon. Especially if the average wait time is half hour or more.

Jrb1979

Probably by getting a return time for a busier attraction while simultaneously waiting in line for a quieter one.
I don't don't think that's right. That's something they need to cut down on. The whole point of DAS is cause they can't wait in line. They shouldn't be allowed to be in 2 lines at the same time.

Brian

I don't don't think that's right. That's something they need to cut down on. The whole point of DAS is cause they can't wait in line. They shouldn't be allowed to be in 2 lines at the same time.
Just playing devil's advocate here: who's to say your disability doesn't preclude waiting in line for a short time, while being unable to wait in a two hour line?

I'm not as familiar with the public accommodation provisions of the ADA, but I'm fairly certain that such a distinction would be prohibited. When it comes to workplace accommodations, if you sometimes need to sit in a position that typically requires standing, the company can't force you to sit all day, every day. The employee would be given the option to sit when needed as an accommodation. I would imagine the public accommodations component would work very similarly and require the ability to use the accommodation (DAS) or not; Disney can't force a disabled guest to use it or not wait in a traditional stand-by queue.

In reality, the only way to cut down on DAS abuse is to outsource it to a third-party which will collect a doctor's note on Disney's behalf, like Universal now does. Sadly, that makes it inaccessible for some guests, as they do not bring such documentation with them. Only those who carry it with them, or make arrangements in advance, can utilize the system, leaving some guests with disabilities scurrying for their doctor to email them a note, many times to no avail.

Disney chooses to allow a certain degree of DAS abuse as collateral damage for accommodating more guests with legitimate needs who might otherwise not be accommodated if medical documentation were required.

Last edited:

bmr1591

Than how do they get on so many attractions? There is no way they should be able to get on 7 attractions by afternoon. Especially if the average wait time is half hour or more.

It's EPCOT. Spaceship Earth, Journey Into Imagination, Living with the Land, The Seas, Soarin, Gran Fiesta Tour, and pick one more. That's easily doable if you're there when the park opens and be done with them before afternoon. A lot of rides in EPCOT have a 5-10 minute wait in the first place.

Andrew25

In an ideal world, every park would have a Tapu Tapu like system with enough "non-ride" capacity (like large-capacity indoor theaters) that requires you to "wait" in a virtual queue and then called back to wait the additional 15-20 minutes in a physical queue, not letting you into another ride until you redeem or switch.

What makes this an issue is that if WDW is quoting a 120 minute wait... what can you possibly do in the interim? Force them to sit by the entrance under the Florida sun until their time is up?

Best scenario is that WDW builds enough capacity to spread demand far enough to reduce its impact. While Disneyland has DAS abuse, I don't think it impacts ratios like at WDW? I could be wrong though.

monothingie

Official Lowerer of $DIS stock price
Premium Member
I was going to save this story for another time, but this seems relevant.

Last Sunday I was doing a VIP tour with my extended family. Everyone but the old people (my mom) and the delicate people (me and my sister Chrissy) go on Guardians. Mom, Chrissy, and I go to Connections Cafe to wait in chairs, with A/C.

As we're waiting to order, the two families in front of us start talking. The first family is telling the second how great DAS is - they've been on 7 rides by lunch, no waiting, they've already got stuff lined up for the afternoon, etc.

The dad in the second family says "It sounds great but I don't think we qualify."

The first dad says (and I'm paraphrasing) "No no no no no - they can't check. You just say something about autism and how your kids can't wait in line. And it's FREE! We're saving so much money!" HE CONTINUES to explain the DAS process, including the minimum you need to say, and urges the second family to go sign up right after eating.

I look at Chrissy (she's done the DAS counting). Chrissy looks at me. We exchange the "people suck" look and continue to wait for our sodas.
So the answer to the problem is to skip Disney World and go on a cruise. Way ahead of you.

Wendy Pleakley

Why is Disney the only park operater considered to be wrong for charging for skip the line?

When you combine the guest count at a Disney park and the high number of line skipping passes available, it becomes virtually mandatory and therefore feels like it's just a ticket price increase as opposed to a perk.

Universal tends to be less busy and they appear to have less such passes available. It doesn't appear to be as impactful to those who don't buy them, comparatively.

Jrb1979

In an ideal world, every park would have a Tapu Tapu like system with enough "non-ride" capacity (like large-capacity indoor theaters) that requires you to "wait" in a virtual queue and then called back to wait the additional 15-20 minutes in a physical queue, not letting you into another ride until you redeem or switch.

What makes this an issue is that if WDW is quoting a 120 minute wait... what can you possibly do in the interim? Force them to sit by the entrance under the Florida sun until their time is up?

Best scenario is that WDW builds enough capacity to spread demand far enough to reduce its impact. While Disneyland has DAS abuse, I don't think it impacts ratios like at WDW? I could be wrong though.
We know capacity isn't changing anytime soon. So what do you do to fix it? Just let it be?
IMO unless they change things they can't do much about Genie+.

I fully blame Disney for this problem. It goes back to FP. They got it in everyone's head that to enjoy WDW you can't wait in line. The funny part is that's how the park were originally built.

Jrb1979

When you combine the guest count at a Disney park and the high number of line skipping passes available, it becomes virtually mandatory and therefore feels like it's just a ticket price increase as opposed to a perk.

Universal tends to be less busy and they appear to have less such passes available. It doesn't appear to be as impactful to those who don't buy them, comparatively.
It's cause Disney guests will stomp their feet and jump and down if they have to wait longer than 20 minutes for a ride.

monothingie

Official Lowerer of $DIS stock price
Premium Member
For me, a cruise is not comparable to a parks vacation.
Oh you enjoy pain. Your secret is safe with me.
kinky tv land GIF by #Impastor

Vegas Disney Fan

Probably by getting a return time for a busier attraction while simultaneously waiting in line for a quieter one.
This is what we used to do, I say “used to” because there aren’t any short lines anymore. Disney solved the problem (for legitimate users) because the people who can’t stand in long lines have no choice but to do things other than rides while waiting.

I’m sure the abusers have no problem waiting in a 45 minute line while waiting for their return time though.

ETA it may seem unfair but even doing that we probably did fewer rides than the average guest, we typically have to go back to the hotel for a few hours every afternoon to rest. Now that there’s no short lines to get in we are lucky if we do 10 rides on an average day, many days we probably do 5-6, even with an AP it’s getting hard to justify the prices when we get so little done.

Last edited:

Animaniac93-98

Last Sunday I was doing a VIP tour with my extended family. Everyone but the old people (my mom) and the delicate people (me and my sister Chrissy) go on Guardians. Mom, Chrissy, and I go to Connections Cafe to wait in chairs, with A/C.

As we're waiting to order, the two families in front of us start talking. The first family is telling the second how great DAS is - they've been on 7 rides by lunch, no waiting, they've already got stuff lined up for the afternoon, etc.

The dad in the second family says "It sounds great but I don't think we qualify."

The first dad says (and I'm paraphrasing) "No no no no no - they can't check. You just say something about autism and how your kids can't wait in line. And it's FREE! We're saving so much money!" HE CONTINUES to explain the DAS process, including the minimum you need to say, and urges the second family to go sign up right after eating.

I look at Chrissy (she's done the DAS counting). Chrissy looks at me. We exchange the "people suck" look and continue to wait for our sodas.

I had a similar experience at EPCOT last year.

Overheard a woman say "they'll give it to for you anything...anything."

Animaniac93-98

The rides most impacted by Universal Express are low capacity rides like "One Fish, Two Fish..." where 20 Express Pass users showing up at once causes a major backup in the standby line.

Fortunately, there are not many of these.

UNCgolf

Oh you enjoy pain. Your secret is safe with me.
kinky tv land GIF by #Impastor

This is how I feel about people that like cruises.

You'd have to pay me a lot of money to get me to willingly agree to a cruise (except maybe a European river cruise, but that's almost a fundamentally different thing). It's like a worse version of an all-inclusive resort, and those are bad enough.

Last edited:

baymenxpac

this is super discouraging to me (you can tell by the fact that it's made me post for the first time in ages).

we just got DAS for our upcoming trip for the first time for my 4-year-old son. he has a diagnosis, and not buying genie+ was never a factor in us saying, "hey, let's give this a shot because it'll help him." so when people abuse it like this, it drives me crazy. our friends (one who has a child on the autism spectrum, the other who has MS) basically insisted that we go through the paces to get it. after seeing my son miss out on his favorite ride last trip because of his difficulties with the queue, i was convinced.

anyone who is going to abuse DAS needs to take a long, hard look in the mirror. i seriously don't know how you reconcile this with yourself, no less the big man upstairs (and i don't mean bob iger)!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom