Is attendance really down at WDW this or…

Lilofan

Dcl is 2x the retail price.

The fact it balances out as a the same as wdw is REALLY and indictment of wdw management ideas.

Dcl - full credit to the execs - has kept the price high because they are woefully small compared to the competition. Simple limit of the S&D curve. It’s worked.
DCL paying slave labor for those hard working crew members working 7 days a week several months contract at a time. We got to know a few hard working crew from Philippines last time we sailed on the Wonder.

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
Its amazing that Sears and JCPennys are thriving at the FL Mall in Orlando probably thanks to foreign tourists supporting FL economy .
I wouldn't say Sears at the Florida Mall is 'thriving', very far from it from what I've personally seen the last few times I've visited, including last month, but yeah, it's still open. It's been a very slow death for that Sears.

JCPenny's isn't thriving either, very few customers in there last month, and this was on a Saturday.

Lilofan

You weren’t aware of why they found Orlando favorable?

…I think you missed Something along way back…

However Brazilians are NOT a significant portion of the travelers. That is the oldest red herring in the book.
Maybe not significant but interesting, half of International Drive where European and South American tourists stay is nicknamed Little Brazil. Those Brazilian tour groups summertime WDW are easy to spot and hear from their boisterous singing in the theme parks.

Comped

However Brazilians are NOT a significant portion of the travelers. That is the oldest red herring in the book.
They absolutely are. I had one of the senior managers at Visit Orlando come give a guest lecture to my events/conventions class during fall 2019, and she noted that they were among the top 3 countries for Orlando visitors - Canadians and Brits were the others.

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
Dcl is 2x the retail price.

The fact it balances out as a the same as wdw is REALLY and indictment of wdw management ideas.

Dcl - full credit to the execs - has kept the price high because they are woefully small compared to the competition. Simple limit of the S&D curve. It’s worked.
Maybe the DCL of 10+ years ago was something to be in awe of, but the competition has really stepped up their game and left Disney behind. It's really indicative of the general arrogance of Disney that they don't even know they've been lapped by their competition.

Lilofan

They absolutely are. I had one of the senior managers at Visit Orlando come give a guest lecture ot my events/conventions class during fall 2019, and she noted that they were among the top 3 countries for Orlando visitors - Canadians and Brits were the others.
THIS ,
and counted hundreds of Ontario plates I-95 Southbound headed to the Sunshine State. I still recall when we were at DHS in summer 2000 there were so many Brazil tour groups in park that the last 2 shows at Indiana Jones Stunt show that very hot day was in Portuguese.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Maybe the DCL of 10+ years ago was something to be in awe of, but the competition has really stepped up their game and left Disney behind. It's really indicative of the general arrogance of Disney that they don't even know they've been lapped by their competition.
I used to say this around here…but I gots my game hated more on THAT than anything…so I know not to walk into that dark alley.

Chuck is probably gonna yell at me within ten minutes for even dare typing the acronym? 😎

IanDLBZF

Those Brazilian tour groups summertime WDW are easy to spot and hear from their boisterous singing in the theme parks.
And UOR and SeaWorld too. The other parks in Orlando are NOT immune from them, trust me I know someone from my college who worked for Aquatica and seen them there, and they do not follow rules very well.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
They absolutely are. I had one of the senior managers at Visit Orlando come give a guest lecture to my events/conventions class during fall 2019, and she noted that they were among the top 3 countries for Orlando visitors - Canadians and Brits were the others.
What’s the overall percentage of annual travelers to the Walt Disney world resort?

Did they cover that in a breakout?

A high percentage of 15-20% still ain’t much.

You know what legit has a REALLY high percentage?

1686599089665.jpeg

I could go into state stats too…but then people start to get angry 😉

Last edited:

Ayla

Probably the dumbest decision they’ve ever made. ME was designed to make a Disney vacation easier and keep people on property, and it worked.

Our last trip was the first time we‘ve done a split stay with Universal, the lack of magical express was a big factor in that.
I'd have made at least 2 trips in the last year if ME was still an option.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
No. The VAST majority of DVC members have never rented out a single point. Vast like 99%. It's an extremely tiny (but very loud and very Online) niche that does.
I’ll never get why people think we plop $30,000 (less in my day…SUCKERS!!) plus thousands in annual fees to rent them?

It’s not a pyramid scheme. Dvc buy dvc - generally speaking - to hold onto it with fists clenched. My general experience

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I wouldn't say Sears at the Florida Mall is 'thriving', very far from it from what I've personally seen the last few times I've visited, including last month, but yeah, it's still open. It's been a very slow death for that Sears.

JCPenny's isn't thriving either, very few customers in there last month, and this was on a Saturday.
Sears once owned 3,500 stores…

There are 16 now.

Penney’s is a little behind on the collapse highway…but they are on it like a Philadelphia overpass. Too soon? 🤔

Last edited:

UNCgolf

Based on the wait times at Universal, it seems like crowds are down significantly everywhere -- which suggests it's not anything exclusive to Disney, for better or worse.

Forbidden Journey has a 25 minute wait right now. Velocicoaster is 50, Spider-man is 30, Incredible Hulk 15 -- Hagrid's is the only ride with a wait over an hour.

jpeden

In the Parks
No
No. The VAST majority of DVC members have never rented out a single point. Vast like 99%. It's an extremely tiny (but very loud and very Online) niche that does.

Yeah I was going to say as someone who's rented points the ability to do so, especially at the peak DVC times is impossible because most people use their DVC's.

Now what is interesting is that the rental agencies have been having fire sales on DVC point rentals (like $15/pt which are 2015/2016 rental rates) because the small niche that DOES rent their points apparently aren't going and those who normally rent aren't biting.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Based on the wait times at Universal, it seems like crowds are down significantly everywhere -- which suggests it's not anything exclusive to Disney, for better or worse.

Forbidden Journey has a 25 minute wait right now.
I’ll keep saying price and lack of money in the general public until I see any plausible alternatives?

Im debating whether to hold my breath or not 🤭

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Now what is interesting is that the rental agencies have been having fire sales on DVC point rentals (like $15/pt which are 2015/2016 rental rates) because the small niche that DOES rent their points apparently aren't going and those who normally rent aren't biting.
I hadn’t paid attention…but that’s VERY interesting

jpeden

In the Parks
No
I hadn’t paid attention…but that’s VERY interesting

Let me correct myself - I got two emails offering points for the summer that would be considered "last minute" (as in 3 months out) for $17/pt and I've gotten no less than 10 emails offering 0-7 month points for $17/pt from February onward, and specials on points at certain resorts for the 7-11 month period as well. So not quite as cheap as I thought, but still, DVC rental points are not moving.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom