Is attendance really down at WDW this or…

CaptainAmerica

Now what is interesting is that the rental agencies have been having fire sales on DVC point rentals (like $15/pt which are 2015/2016 rental rates) because the small niche that DOES rent their points apparently aren't going and those who normally rent aren't biting.
Which is wild to me because I've had no trouble renting out at $20 on Facebook.

correcaminos

Which is wild to me because I've had no trouble renting out at $20 on Facebook.
Consider yourself lucky. It's very well seen and known that renting is taking longer than before.

Just returned. Parks were much slower this year vs last. Wait times and visible crowds and ease of swapping dining reservations at the last minute all were improved for us.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Consider yourself lucky. It's very well seen and known that renting is taking longer than before.

Just returned. Parks were much slower this year vs last. Wait times and visible crowds and ease of swapping dining reservations at the last minute all were improved for us.
It’s 1000% better for the customer than the last 10 years

…which means it’s defcon 2 at Disney headquarters. They don’t want this and will have to eat crow to stop it

Jcf8037

That makes sense to me. I just wasn’t sure what you meant. The big things that stick out to our family on this trip are package pick up (total pain to buy stuff and carry it around so we aren’t shopping much), Epcot entertainment is nonexistent which is so disappointing (to us it was one of the big things that made the parks special), parades are gone except MK, free fastpass, and general magical moments. Oh gosh and the photo boxes instead of actually getting interaction with a photographer. They are so impersonal and obviously putting distance between guest and cast. It’s weird. I’m sure I have more!!! Oh the restaurants have way less menu variety. Even California grill!
I was just at a six flags and even they can get this right:
IMG_5407.jpeg

Ayla

It’s okay. The crowds will come roaring back because we now have the opportunity to spend more money this holiday season at yet another upcharge event in Hollywood Studios!
Disney keeps selling more of these "pay twice a day for the same park" stupid events because customers eat it up. You should see the excitement about the mere possibility on FB. People are whacked.

jpeden

In the Parks
No
Disney keeps selling more of these "pay twice a day for the same park" stupid events because customers eat it up. You should see the excitement about the mere possibility on FB. People are whacked.

I’m going to enjoy the light crowds at MVMCP this year because I’m 100% convinced that if people do the DHS thing, they won’t do MVMCP. Disney doesn’t think that way apparently.

jpeden

In the Parks
No
You can’t really toss stones and then buy it.

That’s what causes the problem

Eh I’m a sucker for the Christmas party. I’ve always enjoyed it since my first time and so I still want to take my kids and I love Disney at Christmas. I’ll take a little ribbing on being a hypocrite when it comes to this specific event.

My bigger point was that I think that the DHS party is a huge gamble because they’re going to eat into their main holiday event because people won’t do both - the financials just aren’t there for most families to buy tickets and two after hour events and/or parties. And so if people want to go do the new “cool” thing I expect it will eat into MVMCP……or this thing at DHS will be a flop.

Lilofan

It’s 1000% better for the customer than the last 10 years

…which means it’s defcon 2 at Disney headquarters. They don’t want this and will have to eat crow to stop it
I've worked in the past in non Disney operational companies when customer traffic gets slower .

Think about purchasing for your dept supplies, equipment , etc ? - keep dreaming , expenses cut to the minimum
Staff concerned about getting hours cut and or some fear of losing their jobs
Looking for that big annual salary increase? Not happening .

For the guest to enjoy a non busy park, cuts have to be made to make up for losses, shorter park hours, less frequency of offerings of attractions, dining menu options etc.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I've worked in the past in non Disney operational companies when customer traffic gets slower .

Think about purchasing for your dept supplies, equipment , etc ? - keep dreaming , expenses cut to the minimum
Staff concerned about getting hours cut and or some fear of losing their jobs
Looking for that big annual salary increase? Not happening .

For the guest to enjoy a non busy park, cuts have to be made to make up for losses, shorter park hours, less frequency of offerings of attractions, dining menu options etc.
It was suggested…probably here upthread…that the plan maybe to ignore the dead summer/year altogether?

In that scenario…they just start selling at a higher price late in the year in hopes it’s scares people into buying? Then they show up and it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Last edited:

Minnesota disney fan

I was speculating about why there are just as many people flying into MCO, but not going to the parks (unless Universal has had a spike in guests) might be because people are still coming for the beaches - where they are pretty much guaranteed to have beach weather except for a rare day when it rains all day.

I personally like the afternoon showers when I get out of the sun and sit on the balcony with an adult beverage. Or take a little lie down.

But again, I'm just speculating about why tourism is still up - but not at WDW.

Edited to add.

When my children were small (especially my daughter) we were at WDW almost monthly, for long weekends. They lost interest, and when things started becoming more complicated and less "fun" so did I.
I have a friend who goes to Universal frequently and she stated that Universal was getting more crowded, especially HHN. So I think a lot of people are going to Universal and other parks instead of disney now.

Lilofan

I hate to be a broken record, but we were already experiencing those things while the previous CEO and current CFO bragged about record attendance and revenues. In busy parks.
Like other companies do, didn't one division in the Disney company ( ie parks and resorts ) making profits rescue the struggling other divisions by " moving money around " and now those record profits which parks and resorts rightly earned didn't really help themselves giving guests an improved experience and now guests have to be impacted because of this?

Trauma

8/9/23

That’s when we will get a clearer picture.

Won’t be the full picture but the cracks will begin to show.

It’s always a good time listening to Iger spin.

Tha Realest

Like other companies do, didn't one division in the Disney company ( ie parks and resorts ) making profits rescue the struggling other divisions by " moving money around " and now those record profits which parks and resorts rightly earned didn't really help themselves giving guests an improved experience and now guests have to be impacted because of this?
perhaps, but how often does Paul pay back Peter?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom