Is attendance really down at WDW this or…

celluloid

This comes up more and more…

Consider three facts:
1. There is NOTHING that guarantees the accuracy of wait times. When we buy tickets from Disney…we are in essence signing a contract that gives them the right to control ALL aspects of what goes on in their parks
2. They have an obvious and financial incentive to inflating wait times to sell product. And there’s nothing “illegal” about it. It’s not different than a commercial telling you a Kia is the best car on the road. It’s not…and nobody cares after you bought it.
3. Disney as a company is struggling financially - in their business - at a time when almost No Companies are. It’s the outlier.

Yeah. I don't know where the false advertising and claims come up.

In law, it is called enticements. Genie Plus legally does not have to say you any time or convenience. The promise or suggestion is a an enticement.

Unbanshee

Yeah. I don't know where the false advertising and claims come up.

In law, it is called enticements. Genie Plus legally does not have to say you any time or convenience. The promise or suggestion is a an enticement.

Plus, Disney tells customers not to buy Genie+ based on posted wait times

SouthDakotaTink

I hope you're right. I think this is needed to give Disney the wake-up call and self-realization that they've been phoning it in. But the same thing was said decades ago about IOA and that never came to fruition. Here's hoping EPIC is different.

For decades Disney has trained people that if Disney does it it must be thee best and now TDO takes advantage of legions and legions of individuals who believe just that and frankly won't even bother to check.

They come here with proverbial blinders on and they think, "Walt Disney World is just so extra magical during Christmas, so many Christmas trees." They don't even bother going to Universal or to SeaWorld or the Busch gardens to see what they're offerings are. And if they do, they are shocked.

" What are all these extra shows?".

" Look at all these amazing lights all over the park not just at the entrance!"

"Oh my god it's so much more holiday offerings here than it is at Walt Disney World."

But most don't. They've been trained that Disney is the best. No one can touch Disney. And Disney takes full advantage of this by totally phoning it in.

TDO two years ago: " Put up another Christmas tree, hang some garland over here, and let's put a holiday wreath up for good measure. it'll be fine."

They are doing the same with their attractions and their shows. And even worse, the corporate rot has gotten so bad that I don't think Disney realizes they're doing it. They may not even know how to turn it around even if they wanted to. The corporate rot is that bad.

TDO now : put up the Christmas tree, hang some garland over there, but we can save on some labor costs if we just leave the holiday Wreaths and some of the garland in storage and almost no one will notice".

Meanwhile the ' Disney is best" trained tourist : Disney is so amazing and nice, they know how busy Christmas week is and so they do for free all the holiday offerings, that they normally charge extra for during normal park operating hours. They're just amazing.

I still love the product. It is still Walt Disney World. And it is still an amazing place to come visit. But there's absolutely no denying it is also less then it used to be by always prioritizing the almighty wallet over everything else. Now if it's good enough for the competition it's good enough for Disney.
Totally agree about the decorations. I went to WDW in 2015 for the first time to see the decorations and I was very underwhelmed. The decorations were very limited to the main areas of the park and I just expected so much more from them. Then I went to Universal on the same trip and while their decorations were not up to the same standard they were all throughout the parks. I thought that was so much better.

But I agree about the corporate rot and Disney not staying on top as the best theme park in the world.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I would expect class action lawsuits if there were clear, convincing evidence of that happening.

And I say that because four separate, national law firms have approached us over the years to ask if that evidence exists.
Oh I can totally see that…

The problem is proving it to a degree where you can beat Disneys lawyers. I don’t see Morgan and Morgan ever pulling that off

JoeCamel

I would expect class action lawsuits if there were clear, convincing evidence of that happening.

And I say that because four separate, national law firms have approached us over the years to ask if that evidence exists.
Ahh, the hyenas smell high profile deep pockets

lentesta

Premium Member
Oh I can totally see that…

The problem is proving it to a degree where you can beat Disneys lawyers. I don’t see Morgan and Morgan ever pulling that off

I would not be surprised if there's an internal group whose work includes looking at non-public wait-time data to ensure temptation is avoided. The consequeces in reputation, litigation, and potential legislation would be enormous.

Andrew25

I would not be surprised if there's an internal group whose work includes looking at non-public wait-time data to ensure temptation is avoided. The consequeces in reputation, litigation, and potential legislation would be enormous.
I wonder at what point does it become a serious potential legal issue?

I bring this up because last year at HHN there were lots of folks waiting for their return time using DAS when a house posted wait is listed at 75-90 minutes when the actual was no more than 10-15 minutes. DAS users (yes I know there are abusers out there that mess it all up) depend on the accuracy of posted waits, and unfortunately, they're the ones being impacted the most by wrongly exaggerated wait-times.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Correct…if I can smell a rat (and I can)

But what that does is give them a “buffer” that they feel confident wouldn’t trigger a claim of impropriety

And once they establish that…it’s automatically applied to the wait time

Also is a “prediction window” that they can fall back on

Is it possible for slinky to have a 75 minute wait 1 minute after park opening when no human can get from the turnstiles to the ride location?
…no it is not.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I wonder at what point does it become a serious potential legal issue?

I bring this up because last year at HHN there were lots of folks waiting for their return time using DAS when a house posted wait is listed at 75-90 minutes when the actual was no more than 10-15 minutes. DAS users (yes I know there are abusers out there that mess it all up) depend on the accuracy of posted waits, and unfortunately, they're the ones being impacted the most by wrongly exaggerated wait-times.
Horror nights is a limited event…they can splain anything away

But Disneys EVERYDAY policy? 366 days of grievances in 2024?

Much juicier target

lentesta

Premium Member
Plus, Disney tells customers not to buy Genie+ based on posted wait times

IANAL but I'm sure some folks here are.

It seems unlikely that a court would accept T&Cs trying to cover both of these scenarios:
  • Wait times vary based on things like weather that are outside of our control
  • We're allowed to lie intentionally about high wait times to sell more Genie+
Suppose Disney's defense is "Yeah, we intentionally lied about the 300-minute wait at Space Mountain, but our fine print said we were liars." Where does a judge go from there?

Disstevefan1

Look for yourself…rub the lamp at park open

It will never say 15 minutes
Sounds like a good test. I never actually looked at Genie AT park open.

Technically, it should be low for some short period of time AT park open.

Tomorrow morning I will look at park open.

Wow, I just looked, Peter Pan is 120 minutes. That cant be the true wait time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom