Is attendance really down at WDW this or…

eliza61nyc

Up until now, my standard answer was as you say, there are more families going to WDW to more than make to for the families that are priced out, because Disney almost never limited who could enter the park. In the old days, you could count on one hand the MK was ever closed to capacity and in that event you just went to another park and visited the MK later that day.

The freedom to simply, on a whim, purchase a ticket and go to a WDW park cannot be understated and that is gone now. This combined with the continuous price increases on everything and the additional cost of Genie+ and ILLs, I am beginning to think we may be at a turning point frankly I really thought we would never see.

WDW will NEVER lower prices. The best we can hope for for NO INCREASE in prices and way back in the old days that did happen data shows.

With my conspiracy hat on, part of me thinks Iger WANTS WDW to fail to hurt (you know who) and to justify even LESS investment in WDW and justify more investment in China, the land Iger loves.
I'm with you on your conspiracy also but there is a good fly in the ointment, stockholders. they are a fickle bunch, and they want their dough. with the parks the only bright spot in the company I think (and my pee brain knows nothing) they are only going to tolerate so much. lol a love affair only last as long as they are happy.

now again, I started my love affair with the mouse late in the game, so I was never one who could go to wdw on a "whim". it was always some thing we had to plan and save for. I do think more the price though is on the bottom of the list, not sure where else folks travel but every other place we've been to this year has been equally if not more expensive. I think what will bite them in the you know what is the work required now to do a vacation.

the real test will be 1) when the economy gets a bit better and 2) when universal steps up with their new park.

Interestingly enough I just read an article in business insider that said this holiday people do plan on spending less on gifts but more on travel. so people are willing to spend the money.

Lilofan

I'm with you on your conspiracy also but there is a good fly in the ointment, stockholders. they are a fickle bunch, and they want their dough. with the parks the only bright spot in the company I think (and my pee brain knows nothing) they are only going to tolerate so much. lol a love affair only last as long as they are happy.

now again, I started my love affair with the mouse late in the game, so I was never one who could go to wdw on a "whim". it was always some thing we had to plan and save for. I do think more the price though is on the bottom of the list, not sure where else folks travel but every other place we've been to this year has been equally if not more expensive. I think what will bite them in the you know what is the work required now to do a vacation.

the real test will be 1) when the economy gets a bit better and 2) when universal steps up with their new park.

Interestingly enough I just read an article in business insider that said this holiday people do plan on spending less on gifts but more on travel. so people are willing to spend the money.
61% of Disney stockholders are institutional investors. Long term it is the way to go either through index funds and or managed fund. It would be better if the Disney stock is performing better but I'm more concerned long term of fund performance which I've been happy about. Making sure my money is working harder than me.

Last edited:

Disstevefan1

It will be interesting what WDW will do in reaction to EPIC Universe. I am thinking Disney is waiting to see how EPIC affects business at WDW, once they have the data, THEN they will react accordingly and depending on the data, it could be to do nothing.

erasure fan1

It will be interesting what WDW will do in reaction to EPIC Universe. I am thinking Disney is waiting to see how EPIC affects business at WDW, once they have the data, THEN they will react accordingly and depending on the data, it could be to do nothing.
The funny thing is if it does affect Disney, by the time they announce and actually build something it won't really matter. Responding 5yrs later isn't really responding in my eyes. Especially since if Epic is a huge success, and Disney decides to announce something, Uni would probably just clap back with their 2nd phase of Nintendo. Just putting the ball right back in Disneys court. As it stands, I think Disney really just doesn't care about Epic.

Marionnette

If TWDC waits until EU opens and there's an acceptable amount of data to reveal its impact on WDW, they will have missed the boat. In fact, IMO that ship has already sailed. Shovel-ready projects should have been announced years ago and construction should have been well on its way.

Disstevefan1

If TWDC waits until EU opens and there's an acceptable amount of data to reveal its impact on WDW, they will have missed the boat. In fact, IMO that ship has already sailed. Shovel-ready projects should have been announced years ago and construction should have been well on its way.
You are totally right, but Disney only reacts, they are not proactive. If the data shows they don’t need to do anything at WDW, they have saved money at the resort Iger LEAST wants to invest in.

Disstevefan1

China makes many products for the world. There is a good chance the products we buy are made there, and 75% of our meds come from there so it is not just Iger that likes doing business with China. This was typed from a device made from there.
Totally true. Most things we touch in our lives is made in China. And with the push for solar and EVs, instead of using fossil fuels (made in the USA) we will be even more dependent upon China for solar cells and batteries.

It was just my commentary that Iger personally loves China, somebody fact check me but he wanted to be ambassador to China, I think he has a bias toward China and a bias against, in particular WDW because, the fight started by (you know who) .

KeithVH

Have only read the last 15 pages or so - my key takeaway is that basically there is no slow time anymore, there's only some periods where it's a little less crazy than average? Kinda my personal experience from the last 5 years, even though we tried a variety of time periods.

And by slow I mean back to the late 90s through 2010 kinda slow periods. Today's "reduced" visit counts is a new, unsatisfactory normal.

Lilofan

Totally true. Most things we touch in our lives is made in China. And with the push for solar and EVs, instead of using fossil fuels (made in the USA) we will be even more dependent upon China for solar cells and batteries.

It was just my commentary that Iger personally loves China, somebody fact check me but he wanted to be ambassador to China, I think he has a bias toward China and a bias against, in particular WDW because, the fight started by (you know who) .
China has always been an emerging country and many companies not just TWDC risk investing in a country with a billion plus population and the lure of cheap labor to manufacture good and services to world demands.

Disstevefan1

China has always been an emerging country and many companies not just TWDC risk investing in a country with a billion plus population and the lure of cheap labor to manufacture good and services to world demands.
Yes, we need China to make the WDW souvenirs we buy and eventually throw in the landfill.

How many decades are we going to call China (a world power) an emerging country who is allowed to continue to build coal power plants?

celluloid

Production for others and servicing Entertainment there are major differences.

Communist Countries have and still struggle with tourism.

I

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Disney toadie - "Sirs! D23 is coming up and we either have to announce some things that will cost a lot of money or announce blue sky things that if we don't build will cause public outrage and people could cancel vacations and go to Universal instead!"

Bob & Josh:

Desperate GIF

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
Disney toadie - "Sirs! D23 is coming up and we either have to announce some things that will cost a lot of money or announce blue sky things that if we don't build will cause public outrage and people could cancel vacations and go to Universal instead!"

Bob & Josh:

Desperate GIF
Quick…make a Figment costume and maybe add more to the ball pit in the space mountain queue

JoeCamel

Bob & Josh:

Desperate GIF

Quick…make a Figment costume and maybe add more to the ball pit in the space mountain queue
"I know! New popcorn bucket, magnet and cupcake celebration festival party"....

Jrb1979

According to the 10-k filing

Reported Domestic Attendance for Fiscal 2023 was 6% higher than Fiscal 2022, hotel occupancy for the fiscal year was 85% vs 82%. Fiscal 2023 also had 23,000 more available room nights than 2022.

According to that attendance was up and rooms were filled. It's too bad they don't split the parks so we will never really know if WDW had a bad year.

Lilofan

Yes, we need China to make the WDW souvenirs we buy and eventually throw in the landfill.

How many decades are we going to call China (a world power) an emerging country who is allowed to continue to build coal power plants?
When one has a diversified portfolio of mutual funds, some have emerging markets exposure and fund managers group China in this category even though China has the second biggest economy in the world.

LSLS

According to the 10-k filing

Reported Domestic Attendance for Fiscal 2023 was 6% higher than Fiscal 2022, hotel occupancy for the fiscal year was 85% vs 82%. Fiscal 2023 also had 23,000 more available room nights than 2022.

According to that attendance was up and rooms were filled. It's too bad they don't split the parks so we will never really know if WDW had a bad year.
I mean, we do. They have said multiple times that the drop at WDW was offset by DL.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom