Is attendance really down at WDW this or…

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
A good point, but not relevant to the subject matter of my post. Wait time (not ride length, which nobody mentioned) is what touringplans uses to measure predicted and actual crowd levels, and it was the touringplans estimates that the OP and I were both talking about: I was just trying to make sure they knew that when touringplans says "crowd levels," it may not mean what the OP thinks it means.

Thus endeth the reading comprehension assessment. ;)
Ride times are not indicative of aggregate crowds (they since might have been…Bob killed that) nor the financial health of the segment.

I’m going off script…There’s no lesson there 😎

Willmark

There's conflation here.... Disney works with both traditional TA's and wholesalers. A few shops do both. The recent softening of demand - and cratering of onsite package bookings - is affecting both in different ways.
Any insights as to how things continue to go? Are the still resisting changing their current pricing model?

As you noted perviously they know what they need to do they simply don’t want to and hold that if they make enough small, incremental changes that they’ll weather the storm?

eliza61nyc

Just to add to the January/ February discussion, I was pricing out an early February 2024 trip for a client and All Star Music standard room came up at $122/night non-discounted. I don’t think I’ve ever seen an All Star that low in recent years. Pretty amazing.
Lol I know I'm an anomaly here because I think low prices and low crowds is a good thing but that's low enough for me to convince the minions to forgo Christmas gifts in lieu of a quick trip 😅
Uhhhm. I never look a gift horse in the mouth. Besides Philly is projected to be snowy this February, sneak out for a few days

rd805

They still made money this past year, so they probably will not rethink any pricing models just yet. But, 2024 could be a different animal if this trend of empty hotel rooms continues. I had a great time in April with very low crowds to what i'm used to experiencing.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
They still made money this past year, so they probably will not rethink any pricing models just yet. But, 2024 could be a different animal if this trend of empty hotel rooms continues. I had a great time in April with very low crowds to what i'm used to experiencing.
I think WDW may have actually been a money loser for FY 2023. They don't break things out to that level of granularity, unfortunately, so we're left to speculate. But the length of time room discounts are currently available plus the farce of "discounted dining" for kids coming means things are not good in the swamps. However, any admission of weakness will be pounced on so they'll never show that card in public.

JoeCamel

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I just checked it out. Even with that discount it's still $1500 for tickets for the 3 of us. That's as much as it would cost for us to flight and hotel.
That right there is a big problem they have to address. Who cares if your hotel is cheap discounted and airfare is reasonable when your park tickets cost just as much, if not more?

In a lot of people’s eyes, they’ve jumped the shark on pricing and it’s going to take a LOT to get those people back, if they even can (in some cases). But then again, aren’t there 10 people waiting to take the place of every person who opts to vacation elsewhere? 🤔

freediverdude

I agree. I was an annual passholder from 1998-2017, and also was DVC. The prices went crazy, the service and offerings went down, and it seemed like it got more and more snobby with the extra ticket events and people comparing what suites at the deluxes they stayed in, and all of that was not the original intent of Disneyland and WDW. I doubt I'll ever be back unless I hear of significant changes.

Disstevefan1

That right there is a big problem they have to address. Who cares if your hotel is cheap discounted and airfare is reasonable when your park tickets cost just as much, if not more?

In a lot of people’s eyes, they’ve jumped the shark on pricing and it’s going to take a LOT to get those people back, if they even can (in some cases). But then again, aren’t there 10 people waiting to take the place of every person who opts to vacation elsewhere? 🤔
Up until now, my standard answer was as you say, there are more families going to WDW to more than make to for the families that are priced out, because Disney almost never limited who could enter the park. In the old days, you could count on one hand the MK was ever closed to capacity and in that event you just went to another park and visited the MK later that day.

The freedom to simply, on a whim, purchase a ticket and go to a WDW park cannot be understated and that is gone now. This combined with the continuous price increases on everything and the additional cost of Genie+ and ILLs, I am beginning to think we may be at a turning point frankly I really thought we would never see.

WDW will NEVER lower prices. The best we can hope for for NO INCREASE in prices and way back in the old days that did happen data shows.

With my conspiracy hat on, part of me thinks Iger WANTS WDW to fail to hurt (you know who) and to justify even LESS investment in WDW and justify more investment in China, the land Iger loves.

Lilofan

Up until now, my standard answer was as you say, there are more families going to WDW to more than make to for the families that are priced out, because Disney almost never limited who could enter the park. In the old days, you could count on one hand the MK was ever closed to capacity and in that event you just went to another park and visited the MK later that day.

The freedom to simply, on a whim, purchase a ticket and go to a WDW park cannot be understated and that is gone now. This combined with the continuous price increases on everything and the additional cost of Genie+ and ILLs, I am beginning to think we may be at a turning point frankly I really thought we would never see.

WDW will NEVER lower prices. The best we can hope for for NO INCREASE in prices and way back in the old days that did happen data shows.

With my conspiracy hat on, part of me thinks Iger WANTS WDW to fail to hurt (you know who) and to justify even LESS investment in WDW and justify more investment in China, the land Iger loves.
China makes many products for the world. There is a good chance the products we buy are made there, and 75% of our meds come from there so it is not just Iger that likes doing business with China. This was typed from a device made from there.

Vegas Disney Fan

China makes many products for the world. There is a good chance the products we buy are made there, and 75% of our meds come from there so it is not just Iger that likes doing business with China. This was typed from a device made from there.
The fact China could decide to take full ownership of the Chinese parks has to always be in the back of their mind also.

If I had billions to spend on park upgrades the vast majority would be in the parks I know are safe and will bring returns for decades.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom