Is attendance really down at WDW this or…

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
That's probably a tough comparison since Express Pass costs so much more. People are going to be generally more willing to shell out $15-20 a person than $80+ a person, even though Express Pass offers far more.
Half of express passes are a “perk”…that changes the dynamic a ton.

Being able to go on hagrids as much as you want during the middle of the day in 15 minutes is not at all comparable as only a 95 Minute wait on flight passage if you enter the queue at 8:59 on a DAK “late night”

I’m not exaggerating…and that brings me no joy

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
You dont think this company is worth that ?!? Get rid of all the dead weight. Iger to start & get Disney back to what they need to do & right the ship.
It would sell for that…but I think people are vastly underestimating the depth of damage and longterm consequences Iger has done to Disneys business…
Just by going too far.

When your primary product is “trust”…you do everything you can to protect that.

You don’t overcrowd your parks for more micro transactions and upsells…you don’t remake every movie ever made to get cheap ticket sales…you don’t make bad Star Wars to intentionally whizz or the fanbase…

…just off the top of my head 🫣

celluloid

It would sell for that…but I think people are vastly underestimating the depth of damage and longterm consequences Iger has done to Disneys business…
Just by going too far.

You don’t overcrowd your parks for more micro transactions and upsells…you don’t remake every movie ever made to get cheap ticket sales…you don’t make bad Star Wars to intentionally whizz or the fanbase…

I was thinking about this the other day. Specifically on how guest trust has completely been taken for granted. We all joke that tourists are stupid in some way, but people, when it comes to value, are not.

The traveling fairs have done well because they pack up and leave long enough for many people to forget how ripped off they get and its often got not competition. There is more than one reason they travel.

Resting on the laurels breaks some trust in brand, and nickel and diming/changing to grabbing without producing obliterates it.

AEfx

I suspect their jacked up ticket prices probably just result in fewer day trippers, get the multi-day tickets and your price drops... but the multi-day park guests aren't going to spend nearly as much on a per visit basis as a day tripper. So revenues will take a hit just from the change in the guest mix even if you had the same number of guests.
Thing is, they make much more off of the multi-day folks on everything else (food/merchandise) which is why they "discount" the multi-day tickets - it's the entire reason for their being.

A one-day person is likely coming from off-property, which means they have transportation - and is more likely to eat before they come, and/or after. A multi-day visitor is more likely eating 3 meals a day on property (even if they aren't all in the theme parks). A one-day visitor is also less likely to spend time wandering around shopping as they only have that one-day.

Even if you take out the hotel part of the equation, a multi-day guest spends a lot more than a day tripper on the things they really profit from (food and merch).

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I suspect their jacked up ticket prices probably just result in fewer day trippers, get the multi-day tickets and your price drops... but the multi-day park guests aren't going to spend nearly as much on a per visit basis as a day tripper. So revenues will take a hit just from the change in the guest mix even if you had the same number of guests.
I just priced out a 5 day hopper the other day..
Want to take a guess what it came out to?

Hint: less than $800

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I just priced out a 5 day hopper the other day..
Want to take a guess what it came out to?

Hint: less than $800
My 5-day hopper from last September was $570 (And I think I used a Sam's Club discount for it). The previous October (about 3-ish weeks later on the calendar), the same ticket was $500.

Splash4eva

Just by going too far.

Listen i totally agree with you on all of that and if Disney does ever get sold the “loyalty” factor is now in question as well because people will no longer feel its “Disney”. In the end tho. Put out a great product people will pay. Its still a vacation destination and still can be a break from the real world Disney use to be in all its glory. Anyone who would buy this would need to and obviously know and understand this. Lets face it. They have the land there to build and expand these parks to the capacity needed and my guess is that can be done for less money and in less time than Disney could ever pull off and you would get the same if not better quality.

mysto

A one-day person is likely coming from off-property, which means they have transportation - and is more likely to eat before they come, and/or after.

I'm not normal, haha, but I would seek out a themed eatery in the park as part of my reason for my day trip. If I were going to eat at someplace un-themed like Connections for convenience, then sure I'd show up with a full belly. But to me the opportunity to eat in space (or whatever) is well worth the hassle and cost.

I'm definitely not arguing with your larger point that destination guests have more time to spend money. I'm just pointing out that it may not be a dramatic difference in the case of food.

I also wonder how common single day ticket sales are? Someone who just happens to be in the area for a conference are about all I can think of. Maybe taking one day to go to a park on a beach vacation? Locals who don't want to go every week. In all of these cases I think an exotic meal would be considered worthwhile. "if we're going to do this we may as well go all in"

Nubs70

Great point, @GhostHost1000. Attraction downtime is an important part of standby wait times.

Disney's MDE app reports downtime for WDW's attractions. Here's the average downtime per attraction for 2020, 2021, 2022, and 2023 YTD, per day, in minutes of downtime.

The numbers only count outages during hours when guests are in the park. So if MDE is reporting GOTG is offline, but no guests are in EPCOT, that doesn't count in the charts below.

That revenue is a perverse incentive for Disney not to fix the problem.

What you describe above is Operating Equipment Efficiency.

In the manufacturing world, world class performance is considered as 85%+. Many customers of mine run at 95%-97% based on 24hrs/350 days.

It would be interesting to see the percentages of the data provided.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom