Is attendance really down at WDW this or…

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
UOR might show a dip this year. Privately they’ll say it was collateral damage from fewer WDW visitors.
And based on the Lowe’s/Home Depot effect…

They would be at least partially correct.

When LBV gets a cold…it spreads to CFP and Kirkman…may even become the flu 😷

Last edited:

TheMaxRebo

I get that, but if they’re continuing to pay even though they think the experience is no longer worth it, then it seems a bit premature to me to talk of Disney being at a crisis point.

I think people can still find it worth it even if not *as* worth it in the past

If you felt in the past you were getting 200% value on what you spend and now you are getting 125%, still a good option, but you will also feel a bit bummed that it isn't 200% anymore

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Which is itself telling!
That wdw is the driving catalyst to an area with like 2,500,000 residents that had 50,000 in 1964 when walt and Roy called the reporters in?

Wdw is AMAZING…it’s entire history.

Which is why if I had Bob Iger in a room alone…and I could see that far down…I’d tell him what Alfred tells Bruce in Batman begins:
“It’s not just your name…it’s your fathers name…
…don’t ruin it”

Jrb1979

This is going way back, but in 2006 I got free dining which, at the time, still included appetizers and gratuities. It was probably valued pretty close to what I paid for a room at Pop Century.

Crowd levels were still old school off season.

I don't think people realize how profitable WDW is. If they could thrive back then, with much lower attendance than today and better discounts, they can do just fine today.

A downturn in WDW business is a far cry from potentially going out of business as some people seem to exaggerate.
Nobody is saying they are going to go out of business. They will continue to be profitable. What many are saying is they have to change their ways. If this continues that profit could go from say 5 billion to 1 or 2 billion. If that happens you can kiss may major investments into the parks goodbye. Be prepared for more blue sky ideas

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I think people can still find it worth it even if not *as* worth it in the past

If you felt in the past you were getting 200% value on what you spend and now you are getting 125%, still a good option, but you will also feel a bit bummed that it isn't 200% anymore
I agree…

…but there’s also a fundamental problem
As a business in leisure when people have to increasingly “search“ for value.

A lot of deserters from your army

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Nobody is saying they are going to go out of business. They will continue to be profitable. What many are saying is they have to change their ways. If this continues that profit could go from say 5 billion to 1 or 2 billion. If that happens you can kiss may major investments into the parks goodbye. Be prepared for more blue sky ideas
Correct and we ALL lose…
Period.

Whether you are fordexplorer91 or Katie on pixie laced with fentanyl

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
They aren’t dependent on it, it just helps them. Probably will even more when they open their 3rd park because some may spend less time at WDW parks and more in Uni parks during an Orlando vacation more than today
They’re symbiotic…more than competitors

That’s pretty much standard business

Anyone remember those things called “shopping malls”?

TheMaxRebo

They aren’t dependent on it, it just helps them. Probably will even more when they open their 3rd park because some may spend less time at WDW parks and more in Uni parks during an Orlando vacation more than today

and will be interesting to see if after Epic Universe opens we see some of the reverse - people coming for EU but figure while there might as well check out Disney

Wendy Pleakley

Or it could encourage investment.

No incentive to build new attractions if we keep going back for the same old offerings.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
and will be interesting to see if after Epic Universe opens we see some of the reverse - people coming for EU but figure while there might as well check out Disney
There will be many…

Question there is do they lose market share?

The dynamics of Orlando are changing because of time needs and cost.

“Add a day” really doesn’t work anymore.

Actually…it’s kinda flipped. Comcast is pricing to keep you there and Disney is making it so they encourage you to do it by day?

Somewhere…Michael eisner’s head is floating in space over Lake Michigan

TheMaxRebo

Or it could encourage investment.

No incentive to build new attractions if we keep going back for the same old offerings.

I think this is the real debate - how does Disney view the drop in attendance and what will their response be

Are they ok with it as helps with the complaints about crowding and with additional revenue streams if revenue is viewed as good and earnings per guest up while expenses down, maybe they are (largely) ok with it (or at least less worried than this thread is)

Or do they see it as a long term issue and they do invest in the parks and try to increase actual total capacity across the parks and try to motivate more people to come with the hopes of increasing total revenue and earnings even if the per-guest figures go down a little

So far their actions say they are worried about attendance at the resorts (given all the room discounts) and at the restaurants (dining plan coming back and some dining related promotions) but not as much about attendance in the parks themselves

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom