Is attendance really down at WDW this or…

bpiper

The next day I actually got a survey that spent a lot of time focusing on what was and wasn’t working on Rise so they’re apparently concerned enough about it to ask for the data around what guests are noticing.

They are basically establishing a base line on what they have to keep working to get the minimum guest satisfaction numbers. If the effect isn't on the baseline, it won't be fixed..... Got to divert money to Disney+ at all cost.

Tha Realest

I think the number crunchers long ago saw little useful ROI on expansion (vs replacement) and never really liked the staffing levels (and “make goods”) required to hit that exceptional level of service. They’ve been chipping away at it for awhile, but the early lessons of Covid taught them that a stripped down version of the experience still packed them in despite a substantially reduced staffing base and white glove type customer service.

TheMaxRebo

Part of the maintenance issue is how few rides some parks have, it’s easy to close a ride at MK because there’s 20 other options, you can’t just “shut down” Rise to fix it for a few days at HS because there’s nothing else to do.

We were at the Studios park in Paris last week and had the same issue, we rushed to Crush at rope drop only to have it break down after we were in the building, we spent our entire magic hour watching the CMs and maintenance try to fix it, eventually getting a line pass to ride it later, we walked over to WebSlingers and it was down also, went on ToT (which was amazing with its new program) and then the Iron Man coaster and then felt like we were out of things to do until the broken rides came back up and the shows started later in the day.

When a park has 10 rides (or less) it’s easier said than done to just close an E-ticket to maintain it.

I think if it was a matter of closing it for a few days they would do that - I think there are much more underlying fundabmental issues and takes a lot of work and maintenance just to get it running as well (or poorly) as it is and I don't think they want to (or really can) take it down for 6 months or a year or whatever it would take

wannabeBelle

I think if it was a matter of closing it for a few days they would do that - I think there are much more underlying fundabmental issues and takes a lot of work and maintenance just to get it running as well (or poorly) as it is and I don't think they want to (or really can) take it down for 6 months or a year or whatever it would take
Agreed and additions to the park would be helpful in spreading out the crowds. More rides and attractions are needed desperately in the Studios and have been for quite some time. Replacements may be needed for older attractions but new things are needed as well. As others have said one headliner being down is a problem, two is catastrophic. The basic underlying structure of the number of things to do needs to change. Marie

TheMaxRebo

Agreed and additions to the park would be helpful in spreading out the crowds. More rides and attractions are needed desperately in the Studios and have been for quite some time. Replacements may be needed for older attractions but new things are needed as well. As others have said one headliner being down is a problem, two is catastrophic. The basic underlying structure of the number of things to do needs to change. Marie

Yeah, Studios definitely needs "more" - more C/D ticket rides, more areas to explore, more shows, etc. .... It does have a number of banger attractions - when they work. But Rise goes down a lot, Tower goes down a lot, even MMRR has down periods, etc.

Some ways it is the hardest park to manage and plan for

wannabeBelle

Yeah, Studios definitely needs "more" - more C/D ticket rides, more areas to explore, more shows, etc. .... It does have a number of banger attractions - when they work. But Rise goes down a lot, Tower goes down a lot, even MMRR has down periods, etc.

Some ways it is the hardest park to manage and plan for
Rides are going to always be a problem in that they do take a while to build, but they need to start for sure. In the meantime, shows and streetmosphere can be added. I was a HUGE Fan of Mulch, Sweat & Shears. I know not everyone liked them but they were quite talented and attracted a huge audience at most of their shows. Something like that could be thrown together in a VERY short period of time. Citizens of Hollywood have been brought back for special events, so that wouldnt be hard to do for a more regular thing. I'm sure that the people on this board could come up with a myriad of great ideas so I am certain the creatives at Disney could do the same, it only needs for the powers that be to act on them. Marie

Lilofan

Rides are going to always be a problem in that they do take a while to build, but they need to start for sure. In the meantime, shows and streetmosphere can be added. I was a HUGE Fan of Mulch, Sweat & Shears. I know not everyone liked them but they were quite talented and attracted a huge audience at most of their shows. Something like that could be thrown together in a VERY short period of time. Citizens of Hollywood have been brought back for special events, so that wouldnt be hard to do for a more regular thing. I'm sure that the people on this board could come up with a myriad of great ideas so I am certain the creatives at Disney could do the same, it only needs for the powers that be to act on them. Marie
Back in the day when MGM closed at 3am on NYE, several live bands performed throughout the park. On NY Street, Cheap Trick performed for an hour in front of several hundred guests included us. It was an intimate performance . Years later to save $$ , the main live act in front of Great Movie Ride were the cast members of Mulch Sweat and Shears.

Last edited:

some other guy

Back in the day when MGM closed at 3am on NYE, several live bands performed throughout the park. On NY Street, Cheap Trick performed for an hour in front of several hundred guests included us. It was an intimate performance . Years later to save $$ , the main live act in from of Great Movie Ride was the cast members of Mulch Sweat and Shears.
so you're saying they're not really "cheap"?
somebody call John Morgan! Blatant false advertising!

wannabeBelle

Back in the day when MGM closed at 3am on NYE, several live bands performed throughout the park. On NY Street, Cheap Trick performed for an hour in front of several hundred guests included us. It was an intimate performance . Years later to save $$ , the main live act in front of Great Movie Ride was the cast members of Mulch Sweat and Shears.
I know, one of those years I was there. It was pretty incredible I have to tell ya. Thankfully I found a group of people I knew and was able to stand with them up front so I had a great view and it was a fabulous evening. The weather was perfect and all went well. Still seeing Cheap Trick would have been amazing!!! Marie
Edited to add date: It was New Year's 2012

Last edited:

MR.Dis

Realistically. Other than the MK are any of the other 3 full day parks?
Well I would say EPCOT during festival times. This is an adult park and the charm is not in "rides" but in strolling around the counties and taking in the different food and ahem drinks. The thing that is still disappointing to me is how all the expansions got cut. Toy Story land was supposed to have an additional ride, Star Wars was supposed to have 2 additional rides as was Pandora in AK. So here we are over 6 years after Flight of Passage opened still talking about how under developed AK is. Unfortunately, this is the story on how Disney operates the last decade.

Lilofan

Well I would say EPCOT during festival times. This is an adult park and the charm is not in "rides" but in strolling around the counties and taking in the different food and ahem drinks. The thing that is still disappointing to me is how all the expansions got cut. Toy Story land was supposed to have an additional ride, Star Wars was supposed to have 2 additional rides as was Pandora in AK. So here we are over 6 years after Flight of Passage opened still talking about how under developed AK is. Unfortunately, this is the story on how Disney operates the last decade.
When the Grateful Dead performed a few concerts at the Orlando Arena in spring 1994, no other than Captain Trips himself , Jerry Garcia spent one afternoon at Epcot during that time. The next year Jerry checked out of this world. That alone is worth the price of admission if I bumped into Jerry.

hopemax

It's become such a joke between my Dad and me that the ride I plan to rope drop at DHS is down at park opening (Rise, MMRR, ToT) that when I suggested that I want to rope drop Epcot this trip because I haven't ridden Frozen in years, and Remy, he said, "You know those rides will be down, right?"

Thepuma

I can't even imagine how awkward this one would be. Do they just not turn around? That ruins the entire moment of you getting caught.

Do they keep facing foward, or do they face you when you come in?
Very awkward.

Our first ride...both of them just stayed still and motionless while hearing the voices....on our 2nd time round Kylo was static but the general did actually move...which actually was more awkward - almost like Kylo just ignored everything he was saying and stood there in a trance 😂😂😂....quite funny really unless you'd just paid $100 for your family to experience it I guess.

Figments Friend

Went with a Cast friend over to Tusker House tonight for dinner.
I had booked us a 5:20 slot, and expected it to be prime time busy.
Nope.

Place was deserted…I was stunned.
I have never in all the years I have dined here seen it THIS empty.
Wow…even my friend noticed this immediately.

It was…unsettling…but also terrific as we were getting major love from all the roaming characters.
They were so wanting to interact with somebody!

After about a half hour more guests joined us, but it was still nothing like before as far as crowds go.
Nice surprise…but they have to be hurting without the business.

When asked, my friend noted most the of crowds at Tusker House are now primarily in the morning for the breakfast buffet.
Times have changed, as I recall not that long ago that dinner was very popular and the place was typically packed.
Not this time.

Found this….interesting.
Wanted to share.
I’ve only been here two days and as far as table service goes, restaurants I have been to thus far have been sparse attendance wise.
Great time to hit all the ‘hot spots’ and enjoy some elbow room.

Parks have felt typical for this time of year.
Have not really noticed lighter crowds…seems the norm there.
DAK today seemed to thin out later in the day, which in the past I find typically happens with the earlier closings.

-

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom