Is attendance really down at WDW this or…

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Been in the parks for 8 days now non stop, and I haven't witnessed any drop in attendance and wait times. To be honest, a lot of the time I've noticed it busier than previous years at the same time of year.

Not sure where anyone is getting the parks are quieter. I'd probably say it's Disney spouting that to get more people coming as they are led to believe it will be quiet.
Advance bookings have taken a big hit since the last year and aggregate crowds are significantly down since 4/15/23…

That’s the deal

Now “wait time”are a separate issue/problem

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Been in the parks for 8 days now non stop, and I haven't witnessed any drop in attendance and wait times. To be honest, a lot of the time I've noticed it busier than previous years at the same time of year.

Not sure where anyone is getting the parks are quieter. I'd probably say it's Disney spouting that to get more people coming as they are led to believe it will be quiet.
I know people who where there last week. Their observations: 90% of posted wait times were inflated, and usually inflated by at least 50%. Example: A 45 minute wait for Peter Pan on Tuesday (I think) was 20 minutes at most. They never waited more than about 50 minutes for anything. They walked through most of the queue and were in pre-show in 20 minutes for Rise, which had a posted 60 minute wait. The parks, according to everyone in the party, were slow.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Valid point with Epcot when you would walk around WS & actually take in each country but unfortunately its something that usually gets passed over for most part by many guests.
Think of the length of the rides in Future World - SSE, 15 minutes. Horizons, 15+ minutes. UoE - 40 minutes. WoM - 15+ minutes. LwtL - 15 minutes. The pavilions were massive people eaters.

Thepuma

And what I truly don't understand is if Rise isn't open yet tell people at the front of the park not when they've already raced over to Galaxy's Edge.

Yep this.

We were waiting outside Rise waiting for it to open for 20 minutes before the app said it was down.

Surely it would benefit customer service if they had this info available immediately so they don't have to track across the pack to find it out.

For some reason the organisation at Disney has totally gone to pot.

While we were waiting for Rise there was a congregation of people outside the rope...many, like us, had waited since 8:20am....the ride finally opened at 8.50...but instead of opening the rope where everyone was queuing, they opened the rope further round so all those that had just strolled into the park at 8.50am got on the ride first and those who had made the effort were left very annoyed being behind them in the queue.

Disney has become a shambles for organisation. The Lines in Many rides split and its then you notice people way behind you in the queue getting on the ride before you.

Thepuma

I know people who where there last week. Their observations: 90% of posted wait times were inflated, and usually inflated by at least 50%. Example: A 45 minute wait for Peter Pan on Tuesday (I think) was 20 minutes at most. They never waited more than about 50 minutes for anything. They walked through most of the queue and were in pre-show in 20 minutes for Rise, which had a posted 60 minute wait. The parks, according to everyone in the party, were slow.
Is this like for like though...comparing September to June and July isn't a comparison.

I come to Orlando the same 2 or 3 times every year - Same weeks in Jan,May and September....(we missed may this year) but compared to exactly the same time last year, we have not noticed less people in the parks, quite the opposite at times...so it's difficult to say that numbers are down. I agree, the 'extras' that people used to buy in the park may be down...Food,Drink,G+, LL+...but as for actual footfall, I really don't see it.

This September is no quieter to last amd this January no quieter than the previous.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Is this like for like though...comparing September to June and July isn't a comparison.

I come to Orlando the same 2 or 3 times every year - Same weeks in Jan,May and September....(we missed may this year) but compared to exactly the same time last year, we have not noticed less people in the parks, quite the opposite at times...so it's difficult to say that numbers are down. I agree, the 'extras' that people used to buy in the park may be down...Food,Drink,G+, LL+...but as for actual footfall, I really don't see it.

This September is no quieter to last amd this January no quieter than the previous.
I don't understand how the last week of August is somehow being compared with June or July?

January is now a busy time. Has been for many years.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

They are like to like comparisons year over year and based on US - in particular - travel patterns
I don't understand how the last week of August is somehow being compared with June or July?

January is now a busy time. Has been for many years.
The summers are never “dead”…and as I just have my one personal experience: I was reminded of 2002 or 2010 crowds on what should have been a busy holiday week.

I’m a very good crowd watcher.

And even if that isn’t good enough…they admited a 6% decrease in second quarter drop already. April to June when the first two weeks were the most busy weeks of the year.

Believe the horse when he tells you.

5% is a massive attendance drop on the books for a Disney park. Massive.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
This was magic kingdom yesterday midday

1694192388904.png

Now…is the week after Labor Day the traditional slowest time of the year? Yes

But that? Nope.

And another thing to consider: were October, November, January and February “busy” prior to Bob’s Dust Boom Decade (2010s)??

No…they were very slow. So September also should be more busy as it has grown with crowd distribution across the whole calendar

Something is up. If you’re gonna wait for a nametag to admit - Again - you’ll just live unaware and be wrong

Vegas Disney Fan

5% is a massive attendance drop on the books for a Disney park. Massive.

Very noticeable on the books, likely much less noticeable in person though.

I doubt many would notice a big difference between a day with 50,000 people in MK and a day with 47,500 people in MK.

That said the pictures I’ve seen look like a lot more than 5%, there’s days that look like they’re down more like 25%, and that would be very noticeable to everyone.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Very noticeable on the books, likely much less noticeable in person though.

I doubt many would notice a big difference between a day with 50,000 people in MK and a day with 47,500 people in MK.

That said the pictures I’ve seen look like a lot more than 5%, there’s days that look like they’re down more like 25%, and that would be very noticeable to everyone.
They said 6% But the first two weeks of the quarter were “over capacity”…
We now know that was the official end of the Covid cash.

So my somewhat educated guess was the summer was actually 10-12%

Could have been 20% in the week and maybe close to normal on some weekend/travel transition days.

Huge problem. Not gonna be able to hide on the 7/1-9/30 numbers

Strap In

tallica

WDW is more than just parks though. They need resorts to be full too. I would bet the majority of guests right now are staying off property
In addition sit down restaurants are dead and have been most of the summer. I have friends and family that work in food and beverage. They have never seen it this slow property wide. Even restaurants like Ohana are slower than usual.

LSLS

I know my experience in July, but I think the experience others are having more recently could be much more interesting. IF crowds are similar as to what they have historically been, but sit down restaurants and hotels are way down, their profits per guest are going to be way down (along with profits in general). And it could be a bad sign of things to come if they don't fix the quality/value issue VERY quickly.

Drdcm

The discounts drew me in and I booked a short solo trip in Nov. We’ll have to see how it goes… interestingly, I also got a $54 round trip flight, so it was discounts all around!

Thepuma

This was magic kingdom yesterday midday

View attachment 741635

Now…is the week after Labor Day the traditional slowest time of the year? Yes

But that? Nope.

And another thing to consider: were October, November, January and February “busy” prior to Bob’s Dust Boom Decade (2010s)??

No…they were very slow. So September also should be more busy as it has grown with crowd distribution across the whole calendar

Something is up. If you’re gonna wait for a nametag to admit - Again - you’ll just live unaware and be wrong
Was in Magic Kingdom from 3pm yesterday, it was busy...certainly no quieter than it has been the previous 2 years we've been at the same time.

Id love to say it was dead because my holiday would be a lot easier if it was.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom