Is attendance really down at WDW this or…

AEfx

It isnt by accident that I have a listing of places that I like to eat at offsite, some are chains, some are local, but all are a great time and good food. Marie
You know what's funny - my family really took a liking to the Perkins when we last took all of them down a dozen years or so ago and stayed in off-site condos. I know it's considered low-brow, but we don't have them in this neck of the woods, and we ate there like 4 times one week, twice for breakfast and twice for dinner.

I distinctly remember we had reservations for some place at Disney one of the last nights (just can't remember where, this was back when it was already like $40/head for Disney AYCE). My mom turned to me and said, "if you think it will be worth the time/money, let's do it", but given we had just had a terrible meal at the Garden Grille the night before, it had been a super long week, someone else in the group said "Can we just go to Perkins again"? LOL. And everyone agreed, not even because it would cost 1/3 as much, but because we were just tired and wanted simple, good food, a decent selection, and to be able to walk right out to the car after and go home to bed.

I'm not a foodie to begin with, but I've pretty much been over dining at WDW for a very long time. It used to be you needed to live in a big city to get a lot of good food, particularly ethnic, but good cuisine is available all over the country now, and I'll be honest - with few exceptions, given how crowded and rushed you generally are, most of the WDW restaurants aren't even worth it for the "experience" anymore, IMO. Even the good ones are pretty much one and done, especially for the price.

TrainsOfDisney

I think it is happening. The parks are making more and more money even with lower attendance.

Everything being outlined by Iger from way back in 2019 seems to be coming true: higher prices and lower crowds = happier guests. Happier guests spend more money.
Is per guest spending up?

Fido Chuckwagon

Shipping from the shops is actually Really good rate. They just don’t advertise it.

Forgot about lego vip shipping…but I have one 3 miles away so it’s no biggie for me

Until I see exclusive sets
Yeah, it’s really easy to ship from the stores and the rates are extremely reasonable. We bought the giant 50th Cinderella castle when Jt went on an extreme sale at the end, and it was like $7 to ship.

Basil of Baker Street

You know what's funny - my family really took a liking to the Perkins when we last took all of them down a dozen years or so ago and stayed in off-site condos. I know it's considered low-brow, but we don't have them in this neck of the woods, and we ate there like 4 times one week, twice for breakfast and twice for dinner.

I distinctly remember we had reservations for some place at Disney one of the last nights (just can't remember where, this was back when it was already like $40/head for Disney AYCE). My mom turned to me and said, "if you think it will be worth the time/money, let's do it", but given we had just had a terrible meal at the Garden Grille the night before, it had been a super long week, someone else in the group said "Can we just go to Perkins again"? LOL. And everyone agreed, not even because it would cost 1/3 as much, but because we were just tired and wanted simple, good food, a decent selection, and to be able to walk right out to the car after and go home to bed.

I'm not a foodie to begin with, but I've pretty much been over dining at WDW for a very long time. It used to be you needed to live in a big city to get a lot of good food, particularly ethnic, but good cuisine is available all over the country now, and I'll be honest - with few exceptions, given how crowded and rushed you generally are, most of the WDW restaurants aren't even worth it for the "experience" anymore, IMO. Even the good ones are pretty much one and done, especially for the price.
Spot on. And I'm not a foodie either. Perfectly happy grabbing a QS or off site.

TrainsOfDisney

It’s gotta be up, right? The numbers indicate they are making more money with lower attendance.
It’s also lower staffing because of the lower numbers. Plus lower entertainment costs (cuts) and lower maintenance (cuts) and smaller f&b portions.

I’m sure per guest spending has continued to go up since 1971, but the extra revenue is not necessarily just that.

Last edited:

Jenny72

This is from the NYTimes...

An 11 percent increase in profitability at Disney’s theme park division — despite weakness at Walt Disney World in Florida — allowed the company to salvage the quarter, to a degree. ...

Growth at Disney’s theme park division came largely from overseas. A year ago, the Shanghai Disney Resort was closed because of the Chinese government’s Covid-19 restrictions. The Shanghai property was open for all of the most-recent quarter. Hong Kong Disneyland also reported improved results. Disney’s five-ship cruise line has also been running at near capacity.

Economists have long watched Disney’s domestic theme parks as informal barometers of consumer confidence. Historically, when budgets get tight, families cut back on expensive trips to Disney World. Whether for that reason or another, attendance at the Florida mega-resort declined. Attendance rose at Disneyland, in California.

Other theme park operators in Florida have seen similar attendance declines. Some analysts have blamed ticket price increases. Others have said that tourist demand has shifted away from locations that reopened earlier in the pandemic — like Florida — and toward destinations that remained closed for a longer period.

jpeden

In the Parks
No
An interesting tidbit...

"Waiting it out" in the short term with potential extensions or expansions of existing promotions, coupled with reduced room inventory.

Rack rates for next Spring and Summer are more inflated than normal (and growing), leaving room for the "big lever" marketing pushes.

This will be fun to watch.

So bookings are down drastically and their answer is to raise rates so they can offer “bigger” discounts and basically sell them at rack rates circa 2023?

Bob is about to to drown in his blue ocean.

Jrb1979

An interesting tidbit...

"Waiting it out" in the short term with potential extensions or expansions of existing promotions, coupled with reduced room inventory.

Rack rates for next Spring and Summer are more inflated than normal (and growing), leaving room for the "big lever" marketing pushes.

This will be fun to watch.
I'm wondering if part of the reason for rising prices is so they can offer free dining again.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom