Is attendance really down at WDW this or…

el_super

The problem for Disney is they are trying to get the customer who spends the $100
but is left wondering why they aren’t spending it.

Disney isn't wondering why they aren't spending... because they are. The parks are making more money now than any other point in history.

Their biggest problem right now, is what to do with the underused capacity. Whether it makes sense to sell it cheap and devalue the whole experience, or close it up and put it in mothballs.

The pandemic showed them that closing facilities and limiting attendance is a viable solution for managing long term demand.

erasure fan1

Did you know it was more expensive when you booked? What made you book the trip anyway?
It's a very long story. But the long and short is we have had to push our trip because of a serious illness back in 2018. Then Covid hit and we had to cancel the next two years. Then we got hit again with a major illness and had to cancel our 2022 trip that we had already booked. So this was literally a trip that was planned over 6yrs ago.

Jumping Fountains

I think it is happening. The parks are making more and more money even with lower attendance.

Everything being outlined by Iger from way back in 2019 seems to be coming true: higher prices and lower crowds = happier guests. Happier guests spend more money. Happier guests are more willing to return later at higher prices.

I think the whole notion of revaluing the experience and realigning it to something closer to the mid 1980s is really the best course to go. Hopefully if the parks continue to make as much money as they have been, investments will come more easily in the future.

It's not an either/or scenario. They don't have to see themselves as a luxury product to justify needing to raise prices. The crowds and the lines in 2019 were out of control and the parks were too accessible. Raising prices fixes that.

This isn't really a problem at all. There were too many people going to the parks before. Changing the audience behavior to visit less frequently was part of the revaluing effort they've been engaged in since 2019. If people visit less frequently, the parks become less crowded. If they are less crowded, the guest satisfaction goes up and people are more likely to return. Maybe just every 3 to 4 years instead of every year.
For me the issue is diminished quality. Even for folks like me who can afford higher prices, would be pleased by lower crowds, and is fine visiting infrequently…I’m really turned off by downgrades in experience caused by lack of investment in maintenance, employees, cleaning, streetsmophere, etc. Like I just don’t want to buy the product even if it were discounted to meet some value equilibrium with its state of investment 🤷‍♀️

JoeCamel

It's a very long story. But the long and short is we have had to push our trip because of a serious illness back in 2018. Then Covid hit and we had to cancel the next two years. Then we got hit again with a major illness and had to cancel our 2022 trip that we had already booked. So this was literally a trip that was planned over 6yrs ago.
So you are the pent up demand

Vegas Disney Fan

I would agree, but I was just in Disney for a week. And by no means was it at all a better experience. It was more expensive, it was a much bigger hassle, the lines were about what they were in 2016, and there was overall less to do. So a better experience it wasn't. I've been fairly straightforward in my time when it comes to price hikes. If we are getting a better experience than I'm fine with them. I'd rather a top flight experience every couple years than a sub par experience every year. I just can't say it's a better experience.

This is the problem, they’re making more money because they are spending less while jacking up the prices on everything, not because they’ve created a better experience.

Reducing entertainment, eliminating Magical Express, reducing housekeeping… there’s fewer people in the parks but the lines are just as long (or longer) because they are staffing less and there’s less to do.

I’ve said the same for years, Disney can charge what they do because it’s a top flight experience but with all the cuts I’m not sure it is a top flight experience anymore… and there’s not enough one time visitors from Denver to survive on only one time visitors.

Patcheslee

If they wanted the family from Denver to show up every two years instead of every year for a “better experience” it looks like they are getting what they are getting.
Personally it doesn't help to have them announce Genie+ changes coming next year, with no clue if they will be positive or negative. We're holding off booking until more information is available.

DisAl

This is the problem, they’re making more money because they are spending less while jacking up the prices on everything, not because they’ve created a better experience.

Reducing entertainment, eliminating Magical Express, reducing housekeeping… there’s fewer people in the parks but the lines are just as long (or longer) because they are staffing less and there’s less to do.

I’ve said the same for years, Disney can charge what they do because it’s a top flight experience but with all the cuts I’m not sure it is a top flight experience anymore… and there’s not enough one time visitors from Denver to survive on only one time visitors.
Exactly why we didn't go this year, and not going next year. Steak house price for burger joint quality.

JD80

They've taken some things away, but up until recently they've heavily invested in the parks over the last few years. CAPEx has been kind of stable.

They are currently building or starting to build new lands in all of their international parks. We're just angry they aren't building them in Florida.

erasure fan1

They are currently building or starting to build new lands in all of their international parks. We're just angry they aren't building them in Florida.
That's because 99% of the people on here, are here for walt Disney world. Personally, Disney gets zero credit from me, not that anyone at Disney cares, for building anything in any overseas park. WDW is severely lacking in capacity and a frozen land overseas won't help better the experience here. I don't think people will change their tune until Disney makes a real effort in the Florida Parks.

Vegas Disney Fan

Speaking for myself, I learned to just eat QS and expect it to taste like theme park food. It's less disappointing that way. My TS days are over.
We find TS hit or miss, I’d say we still get pretty good quality TS at most Epcot restaurants, at Liberty tree at MK, at PrimeTime at HS, etc but we have noticed a pretty big decline at a lot of the others. We don’t even bother with dinner at AK anymore, we always go to DS for dinner on AK night.

The problem is most QS has seen a decline also, the burgers aren’t as good, the chicken sandwiches aren’t as good, the breakfasts aren’t as good… the food at the hotel has seen an even larger decline. We used to love the food at POFQ and now it’s often disappointing.

I can see where the risk of disappointment is less with a $20 QS meal than a $50 TS meal but for the price neither should be disappointing.

el_super

For me the issue is diminished quality. Even for folks like me who can afford higher prices, would be pleased by lower crowds, and is fine visiting infrequently…I’m really turned off by downgrades in experience caused by lack of investment in maintenance, employees, cleaning, streetsmophere, etc. Like I just don’t want to buy the product even if it were discounted to meet some value equilibrium with its state of investment 🤷‍♀️

I assume you are referring to the normal operating hours. Compare that to the after hours party nights when there are few lines, and additional entertainment offerings. Disney is capable of operating levels of better experience when the average revenue per cap is higher.

Not that there is really THAT much of a gap. The quality isn't that far off.

MR.Dis

We find TS hit or miss, I’d say we still get pretty good quality TS at most Epcot restaurants, at Liberty tree at MK, at PrimeTime at HS, etc but we have noticed a pretty big decline at a lot of the others. We don’t even bother with dinner at AK anymore, we always go to DS for dinner on AK night.

The problem is most QS has seen a decline also, the burgers aren’t as good, the chicken sandwiches aren’t as good, the breakfasts aren’t as good… the food at the hotel has seen an even larger decline. We used to love the food at POFQ and now it’s often disappointing.

I can see where the risk of disappointment is less with a $20 QS meal than a $50 TS meal but for the price neither should be disappointing.
You nailed it. The QS meals are not edible any more. I am DVC and have been for 12 years. We go 2 or three times a year. Early on, we would get the Meal plan and eat most of our meals at the parks/resorts. The last 3 years, we order from one of the services and get groceries to last our trip. Eat breakfast in the room, take lunches with us to the parks, and dinners are either back at the room or off property. We may in a 8 day trip, have one or 2 table service and are very careful where we go as so few actually give you a quality meal. I have no problem paying top dollar if the food is good. By the way, if at AK try Tiffens, one of the few top quality restaurants in any of the parks.

Last edited:

jpeden

In the Parks
No
MK: Harbor House for QS and Liberty Tavern for TS

EP: Oktoberfest for buffet. Connections for a decent burger. Tokyo Edo for fun. I miss Marrakesh.

HS: Brown Derby.

DAK: Satuli for QS. Tiffins for TS. Tusker for buffet.

This is a good list - to add to it I think that the following places are pretty decent (although MK really is hurting for decent QS since BOG became fully TS)

MK: Plaza and Skipper's Canteen (TS)

EP: Tangerine Cafe (QS), Les Halles (QS), La Hacienda de San Angel (TS)

DAK: Flametree BBQ and Harambe Market (both QS)

SamusAranX

Y’all can pry the corn dog nugget combo with cheese sauce at Casey’s from my cold dead hands.

That said I’ve noticed smaller portion sizes and not as good food at the QS places. Although I actually enjoy the pizza at some places.

Can’t speak for table service as I rarely do it. Literally only twice in my life.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom