Is attendance really down at WDW this or…

SamusAranX

Went today, everything about 45 minutes except seven dwarves and Peter Pan.

That said, buzz broke down mid ride, and so did space, and tron didn’t run for 2.5 hours on park open.

I’m noticing little things like garbage not picked up out of the lake too. And the aforementioned Tron canopy looks really dirty in person.

It’s starting to feel…”cheap”. Not good

Last edited:

build_it

I honestly have to wonder why this is so hard for them to grasp. They have a product where they can sell an easier vacation. Not the product they are selling now. And it’s a narrative people want to buy - make vacations easier. They would just have to give it a little thought.

Start with convenient transportation from the airport - buses or Minnie Vans that are dedicated to airport to hotel guest delivery. Can be third party provided, just meet a specific standard. Buses and vans hold luggage, so you don’t need a separate luggage contract, as long as people can grab their luggage and get it loaded on the bus or into the van, they know it will get with them to the hotel. Just staff extra staff to help at both ends to help. Basically, a Disney skycap.

Second, make the parks easier.
Switch to an entirety lightning lane only option, add it to a few more rides, and just eliminate genie + altogether. Haunted mansion, when run properly is a people eater. It doesn’t need lighting lane, nor do a bunch of other rides. Just use all the que areas as they were intended.

Third, add back the easy magic that gives people something new - parades, entertainment, extra hours or longer park hours. Extra that adds value to the guest.

Fourth, fix the digital platform. Make booking work, streamline the crap out of the options. Instead of the fifty different options, clean things up so it’s fast and simple. Use initiative questions with limited options. Why do fast food places only offer so many combo options - speed and ease. People like things that are fast and easy and will often pick them for those reasons. People don’t want to work at it. Do the work for them, use the K.I.S.S. principle.

And finally, Make bundling it all together easier and faster. This is where you appear to offer the biggest discount. Want our next ‘just relax- 5 day package’? That should cost you $X,XXX per person, but with this easy package, you save $X! What a deal! Throw in a bonus for certain packages - free room upgrade, free limited edition popcorn bucket, free limited edition lanyard, etc. and make them resort specific. Make items only available through on resort stays using bundles.

I often think Disney over analyzes their data, in an effort to extract every dollar today. The market is telling you the value is diminishing - because it doesn’t look as good as other options. Because other options are now the same amount of work (or less) and the same cost (or less).

Pull a page out of your own playbook and increase the perceived value, decrease the effort (less work, more vacation), increase the magic, increase the earnings.

Disone

We know, though, that they use genie+ among other things to drive staffing and ride capacity. Was everything pushing 30-45 minutes while running at full ride potential? Or were there less staff or ride vehicles operating, thus raising the wait time with less people in the park?

I'm not sure line wait times are the most reliable way to measure actual #s of people in the park in low crowd times.
They had all three steam trains running. This is not normal. And certainly not indicative of cutting just to make lines longer.

Br0ckford

I often think Disney over analyzes their data, in an effort to extract every dollar today. The market is telling you the value is diminishing - because it doesn’t look as good as other options. Because other options are now the same amount of work (or less) and the same cost (or less).
This right here. So many companies do this and it causes them to either freeze or make bad decisions. I work for a small Construction company and the amount of over analyzing is just crazy. Spreadsheets to track Spreadsheets. At the end of the day usually the simplest solution turns out the best. Too many cooks in the kitchen and the head chef is too concerned about their legacy.

Lilofan

Exactly. Same way Apple or anyone for that matter w the cash needed to right this ship can do…. If Elon gets it. At least we will finally get some electric cars in tomorrowland lol
Musk's mindset is my way or the highway. Ones who disagrees with him, he fires them. If Musk told his staff they had to come in the office 4 days a week, one would think twice. When Iger advised the cast working remotely need to come in the office 4 days a week, he was met with some disgruntled cast. If layoffs are still occuring, they should be the first to be fired.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
In the threads tracking the VQ for TRON and Cosmic Rewind, both had minimal windows of opportunity (in just a few minutes) to sign up in the previous two days. (As compared to the afternoon VQ being open for hours.)

That seems to indicate the previous two days were pretty busy (compared to the rest of Summer).

A blip or a trend?

JMcMahonEsq

im asking a simple question regarding people who booked a vacation from out of town.... NOT locals. How many lets say percent wise does anyone know who cancelled their trip to Disney or anywhere due to this "extreme" heat...
Wait so you are looking into the question of overall attendance, but are only asking questions about a specific subset of attendance? You don’t think the heat would keep away locals in Florida who would be day trippers? You don’t think. It would keep anyone in driving distance who has the ability to head down for a long weekend away?

SamusAranX

In the threads tracking the VQ for TRON and Cosmic Rewind, both had minimal windows of opportunity (in just a few minutes) to sign up in the previous two days. (As compared to the afternoon VQ being open for hours.)

That seems to indicate the previous two days were pretty busy (compared to the rest of Summer).

A blip or a trend?
Morning queue for sure is still going quick. It’s a competitive sport for my friends and I ;)

Splash4eva

Wait so you are looking into the question of overall attendance, but are only asking questions about a specific subset of attendance? You don’t think the heat would keep away locals in Florida who would be day trippers? You don’t think. It would keep anyone in driving distance who has the ability to head down for a long weekend away?
I was referring to people who had vacations booked and “cancelled” bc of the heat…

JD80

In 2024, the Walt Disney World Resort will be making the Disney Genie+ even better to use! Disney is working to allow Guests to plan Disney Genie+ and individual Lightning Lane selections prior to the day of their park visit. The goal is to give Guests the opportunity to spend less time planning while in the parks.May 8, 2023

Technically 11:00pm the night before is prior to the day of their park visit. So everyone will have to stay up to do it now rather than wake up early.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
It's waaay easier for a local to simply decide not to go the parks due to a hot day vs someone from out of state canceling an entire trip that's been planned for weeks or months.

In terms of actually finding out if people are canceling a vacation (not a day trip) due to heat, it's a fair question the OP asked.

PREMiERdrum

A blip or a trend?

Day guests are up - both for locals and for guests adding Disney days to existing Central Florida trips. Still below average summer but up from June and early to mid July numbers. Most likely explained by the reports of low crowds impacting people's vacation plans.

WDTC packages and hotel bookings are.... not good. At all.

Touchdown

Do we forget the legions of people that justify paying Disney's exorbitant Deluxe property rates so they can "leave and take a break in the afternoon"? Why would those people spend more for that privledge AND waste their valuable park time THEY ALREADY PAID FOR?

Why do people skip meals or leave early when they are tired... when THEY ALREADY PAID FOR the ticket?
well what about a trip my sister is taking this October. She is going Sun-Sat. Mon, Wed, and Thir are deluxue EMH and they are going to the party Tues. It makes perfect sense to go back in the afternoon so kids can stay up late and use much more valuable park time. What you can accomplish in 2hours of EMH takes half a morning, and can’t be accomplished in the afternoon.

flynnibus

Premium Member
well what about a trip my sister is taking this October. She is going Sun-Sat. Mon, Wed, and Thir are deluxue EMH and they are going to the party Tues. It makes perfect sense to go back in the afternoon so kids can stay up late and use much more valuable park time. What you can accomplish in 2hours of EMH takes half a morning, and can’t be accomplished in the afternoon.
what it means is.. even people who paid for trips in advance and planned them out months ahead... still may not be in the parks at all times and will actually.. gasp.. leave the parks if their party is uncomfortable. You know.. maybe because of the weather.

Minnesota disney fan

I honestly have to wonder why this is so hard for them to grasp. They have a product where they can sell an easier vacation. Not the product they are selling now. And it’s a narrative people want to buy - make vacations easier. They would just have to give it a little thought.

Start with convenient transportation from the airport - buses or Minnie Vans that are dedicated to airport to hotel guest delivery. Can be third party provided, just meet a specific standard. Buses and vans hold luggage, so you don’t need a separate luggage contract, as long as people can grab their luggage and get it loaded on the bus or into the van, they know it will get with them to the hotel. Just staff extra staff to help at both ends to help. Basically, a Disney skycap.

Second, make the parks easier.
Switch to an entirety lightning lane only option, add it to a few more rides, and just eliminate genie + altogether. Haunted mansion, when run properly is a people eater. It doesn’t need lighting lane, nor do a bunch of other rides. Just use all the que areas as they were intended.

Third, add back the easy magic that gives people something new - parades, entertainment, extra hours or longer park hours. Extra that adds value to the guest.

Fourth, fix the digital platform. Make booking work, streamline the crap out of the options. Instead of the fifty different options, clean things up so it’s fast and simple. Use initiative questions with limited options. Why do fast food places only offer so many combo options - speed and ease. People like things that are fast and easy and will often pick them for those reasons. People don’t want to work at it. Do the work for them, use the K.I.S.S. principle.

And finally, Make bundling it all together easier and faster. This is where you appear to offer the biggest discount. Want our next ‘just relax- 5 day package’? That should cost you $X,XXX per person, but with this easy package, you save $X! What a deal! Throw in a bonus for certain packages - free room upgrade, free limited edition popcorn bucket, free limited edition lanyard, etc. and make them resort specific. Make items only available through on resort stays using bundles.

Pull a page out of your own playbook and increase the perceived value, decrease the effort (less work, more vacation), increase the magic, increase the earnings.
I agree, but you would think that someone in Disney would agree too. Are they this stupid? It's a very straight forward system that has worked for decades to build up nostalgia and multiple generations who must visit WDW. We have to ask ourselves Why? are they doing this? I hate to think that shareholders are All they think of? I almost wonder if they are going to let things go and sell parts of the company (parks too) for a profit? I hate to have my mind wander into this area, but I just can't understand Why they don't see what they have done to WDW and how to fix it?

twilight mitsuk

Tons of answers could apply here but I’ll start with a few

Quit using movies and park decisions to make statements. This is going to kill their brand image whether you agree with it or not

Make entertaining original movies again.

Announce mass expansion of Animal Kingdom, Epcot, and DHS and get to work now

Remove park reservations and park hopping restrictions

Fix G+ and get back to where people can go to Disney World without feeling like they have to work each day all day to enjoy it the way we used to.

More perks for onsite guests

Fix their ridiculously inoperable websites that crash every time something new comes out. I mean seriously what year is this

Get rid of Bob and get someone in there who understands how not to make dumb decisions.

Etc etc etc etc
get rid of august and September MNSSHP and F&W events.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom