Is attendance really down at WDW this or…

Vegas Disney Fan

With buildings officially offline and out of inventory, their occupancy rates can be made to look more appealing.

It’s funny how hospitality companies use the same tricks across the country, our property has 3 hotel towers and we’ll often close 1 during slow times (and rarely 2 during very bad times), all while claiming over 90% occupancy to keep prices up.

Once you factor in the savings on staff and utilities it’s more profitable to rent 700 rooms at $200 than 1000 rooms at $150.

TheMaxRebo

Just running around the resort today ... it looks like Disney's shuttering large sections of Riverside.

I checked the Permits forum and didn't see anything that would qualify as construction here.

Assuming @danlb_2000 agrees there's no relevant construction, I think this is a lack of demand.

View attachment 733502

View attachment 733503

View attachment 733504View attachment 733505

We are staying there next month- (actually just put in our room request into Touring Plans ... guess will see if the building I requested is still open lol

Staying on the D+ discount and figured $200.25/night for a 5 person sleeper woods view wasn't too bad, but guess still not enough to draw people

Lilofan

It’s funny how hospitality companies use the same tricks across the country, our property has 3 hotel towers and we’ll often close 1 during slow times (and rarely 2 during very bad times), all while claiming over 90% occupancy to keep prices up.

Once you factor in the savings on staff and utilities it’s more profitable to rent 700 rooms at $200 than 1000 rooms at $150.
Shutting down one tower saves on operating expenses. If utilities are shut off, that may cause more dust and mildew to accumulate in the closed off part of the hotel complex.

TheMaxRebo

This one has me confused.

Low crowds at Disneyland have nothing to do with weather in Florida.

Instead, low crowds at both WDW and DL suggest the two share a common source. Could it be politics? Sure. If someone is not going to WDW to protest "woke" Disney, there could be someone else not going to DL to protest "woke" Disney.

However, I do not think this is the driving force. As you suggest in a later post:
  1. Post COVID revenge vacations messed with the normal cycle. Post COVID, heading to a (generally) open air theme park seemed relatively safe. This also might explain why cruise ships are booming a year later. A year later, more and more feel comfortable packing in together on a ship, something they were less comfortable doing last year.
  2. Big theme park price increases also seems a likely culprit. Immediately after the end of the worst of COVID, vacationers were willing to spend the money they had saved over the previous two years not vacationing. They were more willing to pay Disney, no matter what the price. This year, not so much.

I think the implication was that the politics of Florida that might be keeping people from traveling there wouldn't apply to CA, but you are right that people who are against Disney wouldn't go to either Disney resort

Vegas Disney Fan

Shutting down one tower saves on operating expenses. If utilities are shut off, that may cause more dust and mildew to accumulate in the closed off part of the hotel complex.
Typically we only shut it for a few days to a few weeks, not enough time for any dust or mildew to factor in. As you said the big savings is in labor but a couple hundred rooms not using lights, TVs, and AC at 72 adds up too.

Nubs70

All I care about is my portfolio has been going upwards. Recession? What recession? Let the Dow and Nasdaq bulls keep running !!
Well, my area of practice is in the packaging market. Many mills that produce the base products that comprise the boxes in which things are shipped have taken large amounts of downtime in the last month and a half. This translates into people are not buying things therefore boxes are not needed for shipping.

Demand has dropped 20% from Q1 2023 to Q2 2023 which was not expected. The expectation was a flat Q1 to Q2. Revised expectation is a 25-30% drop lasting 7-9 months. This leading indicator feels much like 2007.

dreday3

We are staying there next month- (actually just put in our room request into Touring Plans ... guess will see if the building I requested is still open lol

Staying on the D+ discount and figured $200.25/night for a 5 person sleeper woods view wasn't too bad, but guess still not enough to draw people

We finally decided to go during the holidays and booked AKL for December 2024 and are super excited to stay there. My luck this resort will be shuttered by then! 😄

flynnibus

Premium Member
And Disney will have new stuff coming after EU opens.

Eventually - but how long and how much will they miss out until then?

So I guess my question is, what should Disney do, and what is realistic?

Top line - create a compelling product offer that people want to come see. Make your positives outweigh your negatives. Disney can do a lot to remove negatives, and being such a diverse product has a lot of options in sprucing things up.

The point being highlighted here a bit though is... Disney is slow. Disney is also really conservative right now as they are facing near-term trends and larger corporate topics. If Disney wants to avoid having EU take a huge bite out of them, they would have to be proactive and get in front of EU. Yet, the near-term situation looks gloom for that.

People are already going to come out for EU in 2025 regardless, does Disney use the next few years to start on their next expansions, assuming 2026+ is when they plan to open some of these "big plans" they've alluded to?

And if that is their eventual plan, does EU really matter in the big picture to Disney? Especially with the different audiences the complexes draw.

You're talking about 3-4 years out. You think Disney can just hold it's breath until then and not face any pressure until that 2026+ correction?

Disney has to pay the piper and it's bills every quarter... not just be able to say "well, we'll get some of those EU customers later..." as a form of IOU and deny the impact and shift of the change.

Even if Disney gets some of those 'new' EU customers... the landscape will have fundamentally changed if EU is successful.

Lilofan

Typically we only shut it for a few days to a few weeks, not enough time for any dust or mildew to factor in. As you said the big savings is in labor but a couple hundred rooms not using lights, TVs, and AC at 72 adds up too.
Shortly after 9/11/01 we stayed at Coronado Springs. It seemed " packed " however Casitas was full occupany and Ranchos and Cabanas were all dark for at least several months.

Tha Realest

Comcast is only about 40 bucks a share. Doesn't accrue very much.
1690496988767.png

1690497029556.png

DisneyFanatic12

Regarding crowds, you also have to also think that many people purposely skipped the 3rd/4th to avoid crowds… happened at HS Christmas Day, boarding groups went out within seconds of the drop the weeks leading up to Christmas Day, but once Christmas finally rolled around the boarding groups lasted past noon.

All to say that people trying to predict the crowds just make the crowds more unpredictable…

danlb_2000

Premium Member

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom