Is attendance really down at WDW this or…

lentesta

Premium Member
So if you had to say why attendance is down in a nutshell…what’s your best guess reason?

Two things that kinda work together:

1) As people returned to travel after the worst of the pandemic, they went with domestic trips first as "safer". Once they felt comfortable with those, they went with Europe and cruises. (I mean, Europe travel and cruises were not even possible for long stretches, so that order of travel makes sense.)

2) Chapek and D'Amaro pushed prices and unnecessary complications like park reservations, far beyond the parks' value proposition. At those prices, cruises and Europe are similar costs (if not cheaper), so people are opting for them.

The word of mouth around how complicated a Disney trip is, with multiple "Here's what you have to do at exactly 7 a.m. or ELSE" steps, did them no favors either.

To put the cost thing in perspective, I'm on the Disney Dream's 7-night next week out of Copenhagen. Two people in a decent Verandah cabin was $3,500, including meals.

For the same dates, just tickets, Genie+ and 1 LL/day, and a standard room at Riverside is about $4,200 for 2 adults. And that doesn't count food.

So I can see Denmark, Germany, Sweden, and Norway for a week, where the high temp will be 70F, and all of my food is included. Or I can sweat and dodge thunderstorms in Orlando in August and spend at least $1,500 more. Not a tough call.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
So what is Disney's plan to combat Epic Universe in 2025? Is Tiana really the only major (I won't call it an addition) change in the works? The value proposition is increasing to spend more time and money with Uni.

Vegas Disney Fan

So what is Disney's plan to combat Epic Universe in 2025? Is Tiana really the only major (I won't call it an addition) change in the works? The value proposition is increasing to spend more time and money with Uni.
I don’t think they have one, they just expect that people coming to Orlando to see Epic Universe will also spend a few days at WDW while they are in town.

(And they are probably right, I can’t imagine going all the way to FL and not spending a couple days at WDW, even if the primary reason for going was to visit Epic.)

el_super

Where did Universal “admit” that? That was a bit of CNBC editorializing by noting Disney too had experienced a downturn in attendance.

Sorry ... from the way you had that worded I assumed that quote came from the earnings report itself.

Although I guess you could still argue that CNBC is still Universal... so it's still a little weird.

lentesta

Premium Member
I don’t think they have one, they just expect that people coming to Orlando to see Epic Universe will also spend a few days at WDW while they are in town.

(And they are probably right, I can’t imagine going all the way to FL and not spending a couple days at WDW, even if the primary reason for going was to visit Epic.)

I am really starting to think this is WDW's plan. Honest to god.

Sorcerer Mickey

Nothing. It’s too late to plan something now with Disney’s construction timelines. They can begin work on those blue sky concepts from last year but the existing attractions will have to close after the holidays at this point, followed by 10 years of daily siestas with a one-hour break somewhere to actually build the attractions.

SamusAranX

I am really starting to think this is WDW's plan. Honest to god.
Which is a risky gamble.

Right now, it’s usually, “let’s do 3 to 4 days at WDW and 1 to 2 days at universal”.

With EU opening and USO actually announcing new attractions at their existing park(s), a family of 4 from Denver could now easily decide to do 3 days at Uni and 2 at Disney…the tables turn. And just one day not at Disney means hundreds the family doesn’t spend there. This especially is appealing if there’s nothing new at WDW to pull them into 3 or 4 parks.

LSLS

Which is a risky gamble.

Right now, it’s usually, “let’s do 3 to 4 days at WDW and 1 to 2 days at universal”.

With EU opening and USO actually announcing new attractions at their existing park(s), a family of 4 from Denver could now easily decide to do 3 days at Uni and 2 at Disney…the tables turn. And just one day not at Disney means hundreds the family doesn’t spend there. This especially is appealing if there’s nothing new at WDW to pull them into 3 or 4 parks.
And the other not-as-talked about thing with that. If you go and spend 4 days at a park, and 2 at the other, where do you stay? You stay closest to the place you are going to the longest.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
people waiting for epic universe to open

2025 is going to hit WDW harder than lightning hitting Spaceship Earth.

2024 is going to be really rough for UO as people skip Uni in 2024 for the new stuff to be available in 2025.

Of course 2025 will be rough on WDW with people all wanting to try out the new park. But, it will also be rough on IOA and USF just like DHS, DAK, and EP are second fiddle to MK.

But... once people had their shot at EU, it will all spread out again the following year.

[And, I want to point out again that I hope EU is successful. I just don't see it at all as being a WDW slayer for more than a year, even if WDW doesn't 'counter' in any way.]

Lilofan

Comcast up big after earnings.

Disney even gets to pay for the new park when they buyout Hulu.

But we do have Tiana to look forward to.

That should load up the parks for a few years.
All I care about is my portfolio has been going upwards. Recession? What recession? Let the Dow and Nasdaq bulls keep running !!

Last edited:

cranbiz

I can and have (well, kind of) As much as I love Disney to the point that I was a CM for 5 years, I did a long weekend trip a few years ago and only did Seaworld. My wife is huge into Seaworld and it was buy 1, get one free and a free second day. The only Disney we did was DTD.

I can see myself doing Universal and Seaworld and not Disney.

hopemax

Which is a risky gamble.

Or they could skip WDW altogether in favor of a 3-4 day cruise out of Port Canaveral. If they go with DCL, then at least somebody at Disney wins, but it won't be WDW Management.

wannabeBelle

Or they could skip WDW altogether in favor of a 3-4 day cruise out of Port Canaveral. If they go with DCL, then at least somebody at Disney wins, but it won't be WDW Management.
Or Royal Caribbean which is VERY competitive with pricing for cruising and also goes out of Port Canaveral. I think the point here is that people are starting to look beyond the Kingdom and they are liking the other options. Easier, more fun, less expensive, less hassle. All of which may become a problem, if it isnt already. Marie

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom