Is attendance really down at WDW this or…

jpeden

In the Parks
No
"Reduced inventory" was deemed to be more palatable than shuttering entire resorts for now. Look for this to happen a few more places. Soon.

AFAIK.

With buildings officially offline and out of inventory, their occupancy rates can be made to look more appealing.

Wait - they were seriously considering shuttering entire RESORTS?

jpeden

In the Parks
No
They have done it before

During 9/11 and the Great Recession - both economic/political things beyond their control causing massive drops.

There are no geopolitical forces at work right now that should be forcing their hand in this way was my point. If they’re shuttering large swaths of resorts starting with POR (which is a pretty popular moderate) it must be looking bad.

Dad 2 M & M

AoA….was supposed to be the 00s-40s….LM section was supposed to be the 40s in the Legendary Years side of Pop….the buildings were roughed and sat a while before finally dryed in and completed…as LM of AoA

Last edited:

jpeden

In the Parks
No
Looking at late summer and fall, about 1 out of every 6 or 7 rooms could be taken offline without leaving guests homeless.

So they’re flirting with 80% occupancy basically? What was occupancy post 2008/2009 or even post September 11th?

That’s ROUGH.

It is a better look from a PR standpoint to take sections offline instead of a whole resort - I get that 100% but man that is not good for Disney if this continues.

Is this trend continuing into November and December as well?

DisneyFanatic12

So many stores are going out of business right now, I doubt the economy will change much long term. Though, we should always remember there are peaks and troughs in hotel occupancy as well as attendance to account for as well.

Tha Realest

Just running around the resort today ... it looks like Disney's shuttering large sections of Riverside.

I checked the Permits forum and didn't see anything that would qualify as construction here.

Assuming @danlb_2000 agrees there's no relevant construction, I think this is a lack of demand.

View attachment 733502

View attachment 733503

View attachment 733504View attachment 733505
Am I misremembering things or was one of the ways the Ronny character in Beverly Hills Cop II helped piece together the crimes was while he was jogging?

Are Len’s gumshoes actually running shoes?

flynnibus

Premium Member
Seems like Disney has been behind the ball compared to universal in park updates since Harry Potter..
Both Star Wars and Avatar are good products. New Fantasyland has issues, but also was a much needed bump.

SWGE could have been a potter swatter... but choices seemed to hold that back. Disney being bigger is much harder to keep up and refresh too.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Both Star Wars and Avatar are good products. New Fantasyland has issues, but also was a much needed bump.

SWGE could have been a potter swatter... but choices seemed to hold that back. Disney being bigger is much harder to keep up and refresh too.
It’s not that they aren’t good products…it’s that the fact he bookended them with 5-10 years of stagnation that diminishes the effect.

It’s not enough…park stagnation is the #1 enemy of parks and will always be. And Disney used to understand to NOT do that.

But Bob read a book and started believing his own BS.

Ok…the Star Wars land is well constructed…but not interesting. They need to tear the bandaid off and go OT redo like yesterday. But this pompous yutz has to be shown the door first.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
So they’re flirting with 80% occupancy basically? What was occupancy post 2008/2009 or even post September 11th?

That’s ROUGH.

It is a better look from a PR standpoint to take sections offline instead of a whole resort - I get that 100% but man that is not good for Disney if this continues.

Is this trend continuing into November and December as well?
That is a disaster for resort/theme park operations

I only say it because it’s true.

The other thing I wonder it the amount of off property park business they’re losing?
Because I think that’s the elephant.

We have on 40,000 rooms on property…

But what about the hundreds of thousands within 10 miles off?

Can’t wait to see what they spin for numbers?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It’s funny how hospitality companies use the same tricks across the country, our property has 3 hotel towers and we’ll often close 1 during slow times (and rarely 2 during very bad times), all while claiming over 90% occupancy to keep prices up.

Once you factor in the savings on staff and utilities it’s more profitable to rent 700 rooms at $200 than 1000 rooms at $150.
All old tricks…

The difference is wdw rooms do not sit empty to a significant level unless there’s a typhoon heading there or a severe recession

The lead that’s getting buried is they’ve never had this kind of a dip in what is labeled a “good economy”

Not Once.

And it ain’t a guy who’s polling at 10% of his own crowd behind a guy that gets indicted once a week.

Nope.

It’s the price. Both at home and in bobs Brain. The model is not lining up.

Last edited:

JoeCamel

There are cupcakes at Disney???
This guy says try one and see, first one's on meeeeeeee!

cup1.jpg

cup.jpg

arich35

We are going for a few days next week and pretty much avoiding parks during the day because of the heat. Doing EMH at MK (we will get there around 6/7), Hollywood Studios for a few hours one evening, and after hours at Epcot the other day. Trying to avoid the heat and crowds as much as possible

JoeCamel

We are going for a few days next week and pretty much avoiding parks during the day because of the heat. Doing EMH at MK (we will get there around 6/7), Hollywood Studios for a few hours one evening, and after hours at Epcot the other day. Trying to avoid the heat and crowds as much as possible
However will you maximize the value of your passes if you don't spend every possible minute in the parks? Sacrilege!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom