Is attendance really down at WDW this or…

Nubs70

For me it’s about ease of use and crowds. We have a good income, could stay anywhere. We love staying on site even though it costs more, but there were perks that we felt had value.

ME was nice because I just hopped on and got to the resort. We don’t go to universal because pretty much everything there makes me violently ill.

EMH was nice because you got the lower crowds. Is it worth the extra $1000 dollars to stay in a deluxe resort just to get an EMH, I’d say no, so we don’t do it anymore.

They’ve successfully leveraged us into buying event tickets to get the lower crowds. I don’t want to play that game, so we don’t.

I’ll be the first to admit, I’m bitter. I don’t want to give them my money for less, so I don’t anymore. I chose a new product “off site” and they can entice me to return, or not, I don’t really care. I still have fun when I go, we just do it differently.

And before anyone jumps down my throat, 1) if people are happy with the current situation, good for them, im
happy they’re having a good time 2) I realize disney doesn’t care and that our specific absence is just taken up by someone else. unlike others in this forum, I have the capacity to recognize that the world does not revolve around me and my opinions.
Maybe a better term for perks is inclusions.

Years ago there were more inclusions at lower price that provided us a better value.

Drdcm

So...

Since the parks were quite busy 10 - 6 months ago, then it follows by this thread's logic, that, at that time, everyone was happy with Disney parks and Florida.

Hooray!!
I would assume that the reason for this is cause and effect. Before you tell me “show me the data”! None of us have access to the data. It seems pretty logical that if you give people a bad experience, they don’t come back and tell others not to go. Maybe crowds will increase in a few months because of the short wait times now. 🤷‍♂️

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
So...

Since the parks were quite busy 10 - 6 months ago, then it follows by this thread's logic, that, at that time, everyone was happy with Disney parks and Florida.

Hooray!!
People book vacations with a 4-12 month lead time, so if the parks were crowded 6-10 months ago, that means they were happy with Disney Parks and Florida (and their own financial situation) 10-22 months ago.

DisneyHead123

Bob Iger is being interviewed by CNBC tomorrow morning so we should get some insight into their financial situation and forecast as a preview for their earnings call next month.

He will likely be asked about Disney’s less than stellar stock performance over the past year. In these interviews in the past, Iger tended to reveal future plans and adjustments for the company. I think he is going to attempt to calm down the likely restless shareholders.

Hopeful he sees plummeting park attendance as reason to reveal concrete expansions.
My guess is that there is a “trial run” element to this, where he will maybe put out feelers on a few things (I think a return to something Premier Access style on D+ is not out of the question, but that’s based on nothing but what makes the most sense to me) to see what the reaction is before the August earnings call. Plus the usual soothing worried investors type stuff. Iger has good stage presence and charisma so I think getting him in front of a camera is generally a positive thing for investor confidence.

eliza61nyc

Why were you so hostile and condescending? I didn’t attack or disagree with anyone. My post was in good faith and about my personal experience.
My apologies . I didn't realize it was "condescending " your post sounded like you were stating that the only reason people would stay on site is the "perks".

My experience has been that the people who stay on-site choose to do so for various reasons, they are smart travelers who weigh all options and know about the offsite alternatives.

Imo (and just my opinion from years of these discussions) folks here tend to portray people who stay on-site and clueless yahoo's that wouldn't possible choose that if they only "knew better"

Happy vacations no matter where you decide

PREMiERdrum

Their refusal to adjust in line with the market will make the "break glass" moment much more obvious to the average guest, and possibly troubling to operations.

While they did release discounts that have broader parameters - like resort availability and date ranges - than most for similar historic periods, these were more so aimed at getting people to consider booking a package than actually realizing savings from the promotions.

My wife and I - much to the chagrin of our children - are going for a long weekend the 2nd week of November. We're staying on agency owner points at Riverside, but I've been watching and shopping for an upgraded room opportunity to swap over to. We're planning a Saturday at Food & Wine and would love to be able to walk.

Rack rates for this weekend on Crescent Lake start well over $700 nightly for Yacht / Beach Club and $950+ nightly at Boardwalk, while Sawn/Dolphin/Reserve are around $400. Even with the promotional rates factored in - which our 2 night stay wouldn't qualify for - the actual realized savings would amount to less than $20 nightly.

They're going to end up halving resort capacity - either by temporarily mothballing resorts and transferring guests or by shuttering sections and buildings of certain resorts... at this point it's all but too late to discount their way out of it.

I met with our Disney BDM a few weeks ago, and the figures he shared for 12mo outlook bookings were astounding.

In the meantime, watch for specific listings on Hotwire... there are clues (distance from pin, star rating, amenities, etc) that will absolutely be making some magical rates come true for some people. It's one of the only cards left they have to play.

Smugpugmug

Our rental car was $500 for 11 days on Maui in January 2022. It pays to plan ahead. People who booked after us were paying 3-4 times what we paid. Still proud of that. lol
They're going May 2024 so if it gets higher from there, then oh man...

They booked some restaurants too and found that some places were almost booked already. Thankfully their Disney ADR training is coming to play outside the bubble lol

Drdcm

My apologies . I didn't realize it was "condescending " your post sounded like you were stating that the only reason people would stay on site is the "perks".

My experience has been that the people who stay on-site choose to do so for various reasons, they are smart travelers who weigh all options and know about the offsite alternatives.

Imo (and just my opinion from years of these discussions folks here tend to portray people who stay on-site and clueless yahoo's that wouldn't possible choose that if they only "knew better"

Happy vacations no matter where you decide
We’re good. Just a misunderstanding. I could have worded my post better reflect what I would like to see happen. I legitimately miss ME and EMH, they were wonderful.

Ayla

They're going May 2024 so if it gets higher from there, then oh man...

They booked some restaurants too and found that some places were almost booked already. Thankfully their Disney ADR training is coming to play outside the bubble lol
I was extremely lucky and got a heads up from a Hawaii FB group that rental car prices were going to explode because so many cars had been shipped off-island during covid. I booked the rental car about a year in advance.

eliza61nyc

We’re good. Just a misunderstanding. I could have worded my post better reflect what I would like to see happen. I legitimately miss ME and EMH, they were wonderful.
😃The downside of online, and every time i try to make a joke its horrible so I definitelyknow my answer can go off kilter.
It's weird, we never tried ME. The first few years when we went there was only the Mears shuttle so we rented a car and when it premiered we were use to having a car we never went back. My neighbor who goes with her two girls really misses it, lol she misses them handling the luggage 😃

Ayla

😃The downside of online, and every time i try to make a joke its horrible so I definitelyknow my answer can go off kilter.
It's weird, we never tried ME. The first few years when we went there was only the Mears shuttle so we rented a car and when it premiered we were use to having a car we never went back. My neighbor who goes with her two girls really misses it, lol she misses them handling the luggage 😃
The vast majority of my trips were with my 2 kids and my Mom, sans DH. I LOVED LOVED LOVED ME and the luggage service. No need to deal with luggage, rental car or driving in crazy, unfamiliar traffic. My kids at 8 and 12 could find their way to the ME area at MCO without my help. LOL (They're 22 and 26 now.)

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
I have family that just came back. They had an amazing time and they stayed off site. But next time they are staying on site because they spent $1000 on a rental car and they could've stayed on site for less.
$1k?!!?

How long where they there for? What category of car did they rent? Did this include insurance? Which rental car company?

the_rich

$1k?!!?

How long where they there for? What category of car did they rent? Did this include insurance? Which rental car company?
6 days for a hyundai tuscon..not sure about which company though

Eta: just asked and it was budget

Last edited:

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Checking National Car Rental (Emerald Club pricing) for a week next June in Orlando: The cheapest car is $495 for an economy, including taxes and fees. Emerald Aisle is $530, and a compact SUV is $670. A midsize SUV or minivan will run $770-775 for the week. And this is a year in advance. :oops:

ETA: Oddly, the same prices apply for the middle of October, 2023. 🤔

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom