Is attendance really down at WDW this or…

Turtlekrawl

WDW has built up a base of repeat visitors over the decades due to the stellar reputation for the QUALITY of the experience. The price increases are a deterrent, yes. But I think the declining quality of the parks during the Bobs era is the bigger issue.

Speaking of eras, T. Swift can show you how a quality experience can drive attendance, regardless of cost.

Lilofan

WDW has built up a base of repeat visitors over the decades due to the stellar reputation for the QUALITY of the experience. The price increases are a deterrent, yes. But I think the declining quality of the parks during the Bobs era is the bigger issue.

Speaking of eras, T. Swift can show you how a quality experience can drive attendance, regardless of cost.
Taylor Swift fans are beyond fanatical more so than some Disney fans. In a sold out stadium show in Philly, over 20K Swifty fans without tickets showed up just to hang out in the parking lot to hear the concert from the outdoor venue. One way to drive up attendance is for WDW to invite Taylor Swift to perform a show at the American Gardens theatre and thousands of Swifty fans from all over the world will take over Epcot .

crispy

You are correct that USO is gaining and WDW, but that doesn't mean they have become the sole destination for visitors Central Florida. USO does not have the guest infrastructure that Disney has developed in terms of hotels, timeshares, parks, shopping, dining the USO presently has to be that sole destination. USO is still and will continue to be a secondary destination for out of town visitors. That by no means implies that they are failing, but their attendance numbers are linked to Disney's.

It doesn't bother you that they use one failing to justify the other? Clearly guests ARE rejecting the high costs and crowds and pushing back at the up-charges.

Disagree that Universal isn't a sole destination. We have done just Universal several times and have a 5 day trip planned for October. I know a lot of people do both, but Universal is no longer just an "add-on" to a Disney trip. That kind of thinking is what has caused some of the mess Disney is in. They haven't taken their competition seriously enough.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Respectfully- if they collect all this data on us and know us oh so well - how did they not see this coming sooner?
An egomaniac the likes they’ve never seen, and artificially juice economy for much longer than the standard economic cycle, and a puppet board that they’ve never even come close having before…no independent thought whatsoever.

bcoachable

An egomaniac the likes they’ve never seen, and artificially juice economy for much longer than the standard economic cycle, and a puppet board that they’ve never even come close having before…no independent thought whatsoever.
It’s so interesting that there is no one around (in your telling of it) to tell him no, we can’t do that. I have been on coaching staffs where the head guy only wanted yes men- never ended great. While you were there, who was running the show, if I may… still waiting on that book btw!!!!
(if I’m crossing the line with the line of questioning, I completely understand. This is the inside stuff I personally enjoy the most about this message board)

seabreezept813

While I agree that price and the complexity of a WDW vacation play a role, the more concerning variable that is probably impacting attendance at the park and movies is the sharp decline in the “Disney” brand approval.

The kind of public brand approval they had takes decades to build, but apparently only a few years to undermine.

This (in combination with the other factors) does not bode well for the company imo.
Agree, with YouTube and Netflix, Disney is not the only children’s draw out there.. my kids have asked if they’ll see the real Mario and Blippi at Disney 🤣 factor in the fact that inflation affects people. Everyone I know complains about spending more on grocery, electric, all these hikes without the pay hikes to match them. Daycare, summer camps, lots of families don’t have 6k plus for their vacations. And without that Disney draw of feeling like you have to take the kids at least once, they’re not going to save up for it either.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It’s so interesting that there is no one around (in your telling of it) to tell him no, we can’t do that. I have been on coaching staffs where the head guy only wanted yes men- never ended great. While you were there, who was running the show, if I may… still waiting on that book btw!!!!
(if I’m crossing the line with the line of questioning, I completely understand. This is the inside stuff I personally enjoy the most about this message board)
I say it all the time…but it’s really a variation on Occam’s razor…

After the Pixar buy, jobs held considerable power over the Disney board with multiple seats under his influence.

But after he went…the only strong personality left was big shot Bobby…it’s been a revolving door of random techies and unaffiliated product guys and girls ever since.

Transient.
That’s not accidental.

Again…go with what has happened. No succession plan…at all. Not even a sniff of serious.
He quits when his rep wouldn’t have mattered if the world ended…gave himself a new imaginary title…”left”…again…and a year later is “begged” to come back by his own appointee…who quickly retired in silence…
And as they’ve struggled - cause it’s about the financial fallout from his management - not his “rep” now…has thrown every executive not strapped down overboard to the tune of about 1 a week.

When someone tells you who they are…BELIEVE them.

Last edited:

MaximumEd

I’ve never believed they wanted “limited attendance” to provide a better guest experience. They want those hotels filled. They want the parks filled. Not sure what percentage of the problem can be put on staffing issues, brand tarnishment, or the economy, but there is a problem and it appears to be a big one.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I’ve never believed they wanted “limited attendance” to provide a better guest experience. They want those hotels filled. They want the parks filled. Not sure what percentage of the problem can be put on staffing issues, brand tarnishment, or the economy, but there is a problem and it appears to be a big one.
The problem with “limited attendance” nonsense is it was a throw away line on an investors call cause Bob needed an excuse for a brief drop.

Never meant it for a nanosecond…but fans believe everything and don’t understand that big business makes the rules. As If there is ever a chance the plebs get told how the sausage is made…

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I’ve never believed they wanted “limited attendance” to provide a better guest experience. They want those hotels filled. They want the parks filled.
If WDW relied on just hotel room vacancy for park attendance, and every room was in use, they can make MK moderately busy while the other three parks and water park sit empty.

IOW, they can restrict attendance *and* fill the hotels without any problems.

Vegas Disney Fan

Fresh Baked released their 4th of July Disneyland trip report this evening and he spends half the video talking about how slow the park is and speculating on the affects of the reservations and crowd control schemes, he also mentions the magic key calendar was sold out.

The “why” is a mystery but it looks like the 4th was very slow on both coasts.

ohioguy

Disney has never had a significant attendance dip that was not attached to a significant recession.

Until now
Unless this recession is atypical... people are still sending money BUT certain segments of the economy - especially travel and entertainment - are seeing their own secular recessions. Cable TV viewing has gotten so bad that studios are refusing to release their viewership numbers. That's never happened before.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom