Is attendance really down at WDW this or…

Casper Gutman

Another thread is about how busy MCO is set to be this weekend.

Meanwhile, today, the Friday of Memorial Day weekend, you can walk up to any park and get in any day as far as the eye can see, and each resort has pretty open occupancy to those who happen to arrive with their suitcases unannounced.

Draw your own conclusions from that
Almost nobody is visiting Orlando and not going to Disney. I mean, I do that, but I’m REALLY weird. Also, this time I’m visiting WDW.

DopeyRunner

I was just in Orlando last week, for corporate training though. Conferences have returned as well. I’m betting alot or that foot traffic is business related. Let’s keep an eye on the wait times and first hand accounts.

Sorcerer Mickey

for the moment.....
End of May is a traditionally quiet time with school getting ready to end...The big question will be June when schools are out.
the crazy crowding we have seen the past couple years are not typical either...So...I don't think we can draw any conclusion from this... Now when Epic Universe opens and they are completely packed to capacity and the Disney theme parks are a ghost town....that will be the time for them to worry...
If it's anything to go by, there is a lot of availability for the first two weekends of June. The prices are similar to what I typically see in September, which is when my family goes because it's slow season. I was shocked to see the Contemporary available for $439 and Animal Kingdom Lodge even cheaper than that.

Jrb1979

People seeing what they want to see, mostly. Anti-Disney-ism has taken on a religious fervor for some, often for very questionable reasons.
I see posts of people saying how quiet the parks are and an article saying that MCO is busy. Don't worry, nothing to see here. It's all made up. The parks are as busy as they always have been.

dreday3

So the last couple years were CRAZY with people traveling again and WDW felt the benefit of that. Now things have calmed down.

Using that reasoning, why is it a big deal that the park reservations aren't full? Maybe last couple years were the anomaly for park reservations and now is actually norm. Reservations for parks probably won't fill up all that often unless it's a major holiday or ride opening?

Jrb1979

If it's anything to go by, there is a lot of availability for the first two weekends of June. The prices are similar to what I typically see in September, which is when my family goes because it's slow season. I was shocked to see the Contemporary available for $439 and Animal Kingdom Lodge even cheaper than that.
I'm not surprised at all. With all the discounts out and the ticket deals, tells me its going to be slower than normal.

So the last couple years were CRAZY with people traveling again and WDW felt the benefit of that. Now things have calmed down.

Using that reasoning, why is it a big deal that the park reservations aren't full? Maybe last couple years were the anomaly and this is now norm. Reservations for parks probably won't fill up all that often unless it's a major holiday or ride opening?
It's not just the parks, availability for resorts are wide open for most of summer. That's a big tell more so than the reservations. They do have a new ride open and Tron just isn't a draw.

dreday3

I'm not surprised at all. With all the discounts out and the ticket deals, tells me its going to be slower than normal.

It's not just the parks, availability for resorts are wide open for most of summer. That's a big tell more so than the reservations. They do have a new ride open and Tron just isn't a draw.

I haven't seen resorts filled up for summer in a few years. Fall is more crowded now.

I realize it's definitely slowing, I just think maybe it's not as dire as some are hoping. :D

Jrb1979

I haven't seen resorts filled up for summer in a few years. Fall is more crowded now.

I realize it's definitely slowing, I just think maybe it's not as dire as some are hoping. :D
I don't think the end is near for Disney but I think they are in more trouble than most will admit. IMO DCL is their gold standard now. That seems to be where the best customer satisfaction seems to be.

dreday3

I don't think the end is near for Disney but I think they are in more trouble than most will admit. IMO DCL is their gold standard now. That seems to be where the best customer satisfaction seems to be.

I have no stakes in this game to be honest, so I have no feelings on if people are or aren't going. Just thinking out loud really...

Personally we would never cruise with Disney as it's just not for us. The restaurants on board have no appeal to us and we like ships that are more "outside" like the Celebrity Edge ship class or the new Norwegian ones. We had a trip booked on Viva for next April but had to cancel. :(

Jrb1979

I have no stakes in this game to be honest, so I have no feelings on if people are or aren't going. Just thinking out loud really...

Personally we would never cruise with Disney as it's just not for us. The restaurants on board have no appeal to us and we like ships that are more "outside" like the Celebrity Edge ship class or the new Norwegian ones. We had a trip booked on Viva for next April but had to cancel. :(
I'm curious to see what attendance is like for regional parks. I have a feeling many will have good summers as many will opt for them over destination parks. My local park sold 1 million passes this summer.

Sandurz

Historically, have resorts ever filled up generally throughout the summer? As far as I remember, the complete lack of availability situations that have popped up in the last year or two have been a new staffing related issue, almost completely separate from demand.

There are an absolute ton of hotel rooms on property. It feels unlikely that there were ever long chunks of time with zero availability before the pandemic.

CntrlFlPete

I see posts of people saying how quiet the parks are and an article saying that MCO is busy. Don't worry, nothing to see here. It's all made up. The parks are as busy as they always have been.

folks do come to Orlando for things other than Disney. I recall years where MCO has double visitor counts of international visitors in years where WDW had some 2% growth.

Anyway, MCO is setting records for the holiday weekend. Disney is offering discounts for the Summer. (we do not know how busy MCO is this summer based on the weekend story)

Using that reasoning, why is it a big deal that the park reservations aren't full? Maybe last couple years were the anomaly for park reservations and now is actually norm. Reservations for parks probably won't fill up all that often unless it's a major holiday or ride opening?

You left out popcorn buckets!

I have heard that the reservations won't go away for Disney uses them to better balance attendance across the four parks, I do not know how they would be doing this, but it would mean someone would need to find a park w/o reservations available to be driving to a different park.

I would think the loss of 'free' transportation to/from the airport would cause a lot of folks to rethink 'the bubble'. I could see many deciding to get a cheaper room to make up for the added transportation costs. I do think it will be a slow summer (esp based on the ticket deals), but I also think Disney has lost folks from 'the bubble' need/fix.

jpeden

In the Parks
No
Totally! Also because my stepdaughter is older it's always been nice to have an extra set of hands for snacks, stroller folding, etc. My girls 5 and 2 have been playing airplane everyday lately too... fingers crossed we do okay at 2 years old. My kids have always been the type to be pretty great on day trips/vacations and save their less glorious moments for when we are at home. We also go in the summer even though it's much hotter, less chance they have some gross virus like they seem to have all year round at daycare.

2 is a great age to take them! We took our oldest at 16 months and he did great, and took him back last year when he was 2. We are taking both this November (our youngest will be 20 months).

caranate

I have been on 8 Disney cruises (all 5 boats except the Dream) and gone to WDW every year for the past 24 years. We are now shifting our vacation dollars to Royal Caribbean. We feel RC is a better value and will continue to spend our money with them. Seriously thinking about selling our DVC as the monthly fees are now $135. We just don’t think Disney cares as much about the value of our business like they used to, and it’s just saddening because we loved the Disney difference up until 2020.

Fido Chuckwagon

For DCL they actually got it right….they charge premium market rates but EVERY person I’ve met or friend I’ve had who’s done DC said it’s head and shoulders above the competition and their favorite CL….if only Disney would do this with the parks. If you’re gonna charge a higher rate, make the experience match.
DCL is what the parks used to be. You walk around the ship and randomly encounter Disney princesses in hallways and on staircases.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom