Is a Membership In DVC worth all the money?

Is DVC timeshare worth all the money you spend on it (up front and yearly)??

• Total voters

chardyrn

To buy or not to buy

We just got back from disney on 7-27. We stayed at the AKL. Loved it. I had my second tour with the dvc reps. I want to buy but I am nervous about booking availibility. I am also concerned that when I want to use the world passport collection that will be difficult too. I also am at odds whether to buy from disney or a resale. SSR is sold out, so AKL is the only dvc resort available from disney. I know I can get more points from a resale but it makes me wonder why are they selling?:shrug:

dixiegirl

There is only one word. YES YES YES

We purchase in 2000 and I could kick myself that we did not purchase when I first heard about this years and years ago. But like the previous poster stated we looked at how many times we have been to Disney in a couple of years and the money we had spent on hotels rooms was almost equal to what we were going to spend for the DVC. It till gave the opportunity to come back year after year and if not there, you can go other places as well for the 500 maintence fee only.I use to spend that in one or two nights for a room there. WE also have made money from when we first purchased as the value has gone up. We felt if something happened and we really could not afford an expensive vacation, with the timeshare we could still come, enjoy Disney, cook if we wanted to and have a great vacation in the best and most magical place in the world. :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy:

Well put!!
Went to Disney for our honeymoon back in 96, we had talked with a rep about joining DVC at that time but just getting married, had a house built, to me $10,000 for DVC at the time seemed like a lot of money.... little did we know that we would visit Disney from 96 till now over 20 times going once to three times a year...
Fast forward to 2006 Hubby went tto do the tour just to see if it was worth it, well he called me later from SSR sounding like a little kid opening presents on christmas day....So I met up with him, did a tour, talk to a rep who by the way averaged out what we spent over the past 10yrs going to disney , yeah....I could have paid for DVC twice over..Needless to say we joined and I'm very happy!!!
We're going back for our Third visit this year For a week in September..
I hate to soundlike a commercial but with DVCyou can do that...as long as you have an idea of when you'd like to go, try to book in advance . From what I heard the longer you wait sometimes its harder if its not your "home resort". Although hubby and I are going for 5 days in Jan staying at Wilderness which we were on a waitlist and within a week we got in
and we booked that a month ago.... Well as others say if you can do it, great,
I also like the fact I can make breakfast or just the fact of having the means of not having to eat out all the time...Laundry area....I love having a balcony as well... Yeah I really can't complain...Although it does seem more and more people "know the secret".....

My advice take a tour, we seen Animal kingdom ...Beautiful!!!! Talk to a rep see if its right for you and your family...

slappy magoo

I think the best way to explain whether or not it's worth joining DVC to people who aren't members, AND are skeptical, it to think of the concept of the Warehouse Club. If you join into Costco or BJ's or one of the other ones, you're gonna get really decent prices all of the time. Now, you can take the time to find who's got better deals throughout your neighborhood - one supermarket might have a great deal on chicken cutlets, Target might have a great deal on sneakers when you're in the market for sneakers, you may be able to wait until Black Friday for that big-ticket item, etc. But the warehouse club will always, consistently provide decent values for the money...

When it comes to a trip to WDW, you can always wait, shop for a great value, take advantage of a phenomenal promotion if you can. But DVC will always consistently represent a good value, especially (but not exclusively) if you plan many multiple trips to WDW. We joined in between our second and third trips. Gone on three trips since then - 2 to WDW (one of them including a side trip to HH), 1 to San Francisco. Our fourth trip is scheduled this December. The prices for those rooms at the times we went/will go - even factoring in a comparison to a deep discount ala annual passholder rates - would equal about 1/3rd of our total buy-in, in 3.5 years time. Could I have made better investments with that money, ones with better RoI? Probably, but I wouldn't have gone on the trips I went on if I had.

And if there's ever a year where I can't go away for some reason, I can just rent out the points, or offer it to family members. It won't be wasted money, that's for sure. AND while there are no guarantees in life, the fact

It might not be the best financial decision in the world - after all, most time-shares, when you buy, are yours forever. But I don't regret buying into it, not for a second.

Oh, and while the question is years-old, something you should know about the "points system." The points you buy technically represent a percentage of the actual resort that you buy into. A teeny-tiny-itsy-bitsy percent to be sure, but a specific exact number nonetheless, which is represented in your contract/deed. Which means that, while the amount of points it might take to stay in a certain type of room, at a certain resort, at a certain time, might fluctuate, DVC can not across the board say "OK, now every room is worth 5 points more every single night." For them to do that is tantamount to saying "even though we said you own THIS much of the resort, you really only own THAT much of the resort. Boo-hoo, sucks to be you." It's the sort of thing real-estate lawyers call "illegal," and therefore won't happen.

Wow, you spent about 14k on your last 4 trips? Where did you stay, the Poly or Grand Floridian?

$14000 for 4 trips is $3500.....which is about average for a decent visit for a week. We just got back in July and we were there for 8 days and 7 seven nights. Between the 3 adults that went on our trip, we spent about $5000 and that includes our resort at AKV which cost us $1400 (we rented points from a DVC member). You can really drop some money down there!!

Personally, I think DVC is worth it if you're planning to vacation every year or twice a year, whether it's Disney or not. My parents decided not to buy in DVC because they don't really vacation away from home every year. Me? I'm planning to purchase DVC next year because I want to vacation at Disney FOREVER!! Even if I change my mind about my vacation destination (which I doubt), I still have 500 other destinations around the world to choose from!

:animwink:

lebeau

Factors to consider:

Do you go to WDW at least once every 2 yeras?
Do you typically stay in at least a moderate resort?
Can you pay the entire cost up front?

If you answered "no" to any of those questions, I think DVC is definitely not for you. If you answered "yes" to all three questions, then you have a lot of other factors to weigh.

From a dollars-and-cents perspective, I can't make the math add up in DVC's favor. It just doesn't work out. But if you add in the intangibles, there are definitely people who feel it is worthwhile.

I'd caution anyone who is considering a purchase to really take a hard look at the numbers. You have to look at the time value of money. You have to consider your opportunity costs. If you have to finance any part of it, you will not come out ahead.

slappy magoo

Factors to consider:

From a dollars-and-cents perspective, I can't make the math add up in DVC's favor. It just doesn't work out. But if you add in the intangibles, there are definitely people who feel it is worthwhile.

I'll admit, I'm playing "fast and loose" with the numbers, so feel free to call bulls***. Right now, WDW is offering a promotion that lets people experience OKW or SSR for 170 a night, and these are rooms where the cheapest "rack rate" for a studio is 285 a night. Let's say you stay there 10 nights. 1700 dollars.

Now let's say you buy 150 points at SSR, which will allow you 10 nights in that same studio during the average "dream season" (which, I believe, is where the time-frame for the promotional offer lies). Even without getting any discount on your points purchase, you're paying about 15K on your purchase.

1700 dollars is about 11% of the purchase price of the points. So after approximately 9 years, IF that very good promotional offer keeps coming back, AT the same price, what you paid to spend 10 nights in either of resorts would equal the purchase price of the DVC.

Granted, throughout these 9 years, you've been paying dues. They're currently 4.12 a point. 150 x 4.12 = 618, which would be comparable to an extra week stay over the course of 2 years (granted, the dues go up, then again, so do resort rates). Over the course of 9 years, that's just over 30 more days, or 3 more annual 10-day trips. Add it to the 9 years you paid for with the special room rate, you're now up to 12 years. And of course, during THOSE 3 years, you've now paid enough in dues for ONE more 10 day trip.

So, again, REAL fast and loose with the numbers (and what the hell, I'll round up), what you've paid to take 14 annual 10-day trips to SSR or OKW will roughly cover the cost of your purchase price into DVC, plus the dues (give or take) you'll pay during that 13 year time frame. After that, (again, ASSUMING the increase in dues and the increase in room rates will be comparable) you'll be getting a 10-day trip for about what you'd pay for not-quite 4 days at the promotional offer, and not-quite 3 days at rack rate.

lebeau

I've run the numbers in the past and was getting ready to do so again when I stumbled across this write-up on Mousesavers:

http://www.mousesavers.com/dvc.html

I think it's very well done! It'd recommend reading this thoroughly if you are considering buying into DVC.

Here's a few highlights:

In the following scenarios, DVC purchase beats investing the money (buy-in amount plus annual fees) and paying cash for your annual vacations:
  • You vacation for 10 nights every year in a Deluxe resort or DVC Studio unit at full "rack rates." In this scenario, you'll start saving money after 8 years or less of DVC ownership. In fact, if this is your vacation style, DVC is still a good deal even if you would only stay 10 nights in a DVC Studio every other year and throw away 50% of your points (though it will take longer to break even -- about 21 years).
  • You stay 10 nights at a Deluxe resort each year, with a 25% discount (approx. 13 years to break even).
  • You stay 7 nights at a Deluxe resort each year at full "rack rates" (approx. 13 years to break even).
  • You vacation for 10 nights each year at a Moderate resort, paying full "rack rates" (approx. 20 years to break even).
  • You rent 160 points from a DVC owner each year, starting at $11 a point, for at least the next 24 years.
  • You vacation for 10 nights each year at a Moderate resort, with a 20% discount (approx. 42 years to break even).
DVC purchase is not cost-effective in the following scenarios:
  • You vacation 7 nights per year at a Moderate resort, paying full "rack rates."
  • You rent 160 points every other year from a DVC owner, starting at $11 a point.
The break-even amount in 2008 dollars seems to be around $1500. If you would normally average less than that per year for your accommodations, DVC is probably not going to save you money. If you spend more than that per year, on average, and you can afford to write a check for the buy-in amount, it's worth considering a DVC purchase.

One last note on this topic: the scenarios above do not take into account a major benefit to investing the money instead of spending it on a DVC membership: your money remains liquid and available in case of emergency or changes in your financial situation. If you invest the money and want to stop vacationing at Disney World, you can easily divert the money to other uses.

Long-Term Issues
DVC contracts last a long time. Will you still want to go to Disney World every year, 25 years from now? 35 years from now?

A DVC owner who became a member 12 years ago mentioned to me that she might not make the same decision today. One thing she didn't consider, she now realizes, is that your lifestyle changes over time. When she became a member, she had small children and went to Disney World every year. Now her kids are in college, and she says when that tuition bill arrives, she sometimes regrets owing $2000 in annual DVC dues.

If your lifestyle changes, you get tired of Disney vacations, or you suffer financial reverses, the dues can become a burden. Then you're faced with selling your membership, or renting out your points to cover the dues. Realistically, there is a reason why there are always DVC resales available -- people do get in over their heads, or just change their minds.

DVC has retained its value better than most timeshares, mainly because Disney has aggressively participated in buying back resales under its "right of first refusal" clause, keeping the resale prices propped up. Currently resellers are typically getting about 75% of current retail prices, once they pay the associated sales costs.

However, as DVC memberships get closer and closer to their expiration dates, it's likely that resale prices will drop. If you are contemplating the purchase of a resale for one of the resorts that expires in 2042, bear in mind that the resale value might drop significantly at some point, particularly since there is a competing DVC resort (Animal Kingdom Lodge Villas) that doesn't expire until 2057. Given the success of DVC, there is every reason to expect that additional resorts will be built, with later and later expiration dates.

Best Candidates for DVC Membership
DVC membership might make sense if you meet most or all of these criteria:
  • You have the cash in hand to pay all of the upfront costs of membership without borrowing.
  • The cost of dues does not appear to present a financial hardship based on your current expectations.
  • You vacation at Walt Disney World frequently: ideally at least once every two years.
  • You plan to continue staying at Disney World far enough into the future to make the membership at least break even.
  • You prefer to stay in Deluxe or DVC accommodations and/or you stay a long time (10 days or more per year).
  • You are able to plan your vacations well in advance -- ideally 7 to 11 months out.

Conclusion
Buying a DVC membership is a rational, financially viable option for some people: namely people with the cost of the initial purchase already sitting in the bank, who plan to stay in the higher-end accommodations at Walt Disney World on a regular basis.

A DVC purchase is a way of committing to an annual Disney vacation with family and friends. For some people, that may outweigh any financial considerations. Only you can determine if DVC membership makes sense for your situation.

If you only visit Disney World occasionally, you may find that renting DVC points from an owner is actually a better deal than buying a DVC membership.

lebeau

So, again, REAL fast and loose with the numbers (and what the hell, I'll round up), what you've paid to take 14 annual 10-day trips to SSR or OKW...

What can I get for the cost of 14 every three year 7-day trips during the off-season at a moderate or value resort? ;)

My WDW trips usually cost around 2-3K all-inclusive and are nowhere near annual.

cemeb4dk

i am not a big number crunching person like the posters above. But the way we look at it, it has already paid for itself. We have been owners since 2002. Granted we have annual dues of $59 or so a month( 150 pts at beach club). Its much easier for me to pay that $59 a month than try and save 4 or 5 thousand for a trip.

For example we are going for 10 days in Nov. 11/24 -12/3 staying at the BCV in a studio. I just went onto Disneys website and priced out the same trip rackrate. It came to $5828.46 now granted that was tickets and meal plan, This is all for 2 people (adults.) We have annual passes and get a discount of $100 off those and we have to pay for our meal plan which was around 750 or so I think.

So in the big picture, the way we look at it this trip is costing us around $750. Because the trip we took earlier this year we got the annual passes. Now granted we pay the dues and had our initial cost of the points. But for us its easier to come up with $60 a month and know our vacations ( hotel part) are taken care of. And save siginificantly less for each trip which means more trips.

And I think that is how most people look at the DVC. I look at it as the initial 16k or whatever it was is gone, and the $60 a month is one less dinner out a month. PLus we can give trips to family members and friends as gifts, once our daughter gets older she can go herself with friends and her family. We have also gone with friends where we told them we got the room ( you make up the cost in other things) rental car, meals etc.

So there are alot of advantages to owning, to me they are clear cut to a super numbers crunching guy they may not be. But for us our happiness in knowing we have this ownership makes it all worth it and we never have to worry about paying for a room Disney again.

Sorry if this doesn't make much sense or long winded, I am not trying to persuade anyone either way just stating on how my family views our DVC ownership, whether it be flawed or not its our views.

Keyda

I believe that DVC is well worth it. My parents purchased in 1992 when it opened. We hadn't even seen the rooms but with 5 of us my parents we thinking well we are going to start having to get 2 rooms anyway. I come from a tall family (dad is 6'7") so we have an issue cramping into queen size beds. But I digress...

They purchased at OKW (back then DVC) and at the time the deal included free park tickets until the year 2000. Who can complain about that. I know this isn't the case anymore but was a definite deal maker at the time. We usually get a two bedroom at OKW which allows everyone to spread out and invite boyfriends, fiances etc.

It is also nice to not have to eat every meal out and come home and just make something fast and easy. Now DDP has changed this for our family but we still use it in the morning to make breakfast or to bring home the loads of leftover for late night snacks.

We tend to go to Disney every other year and then travel else where every other year. Of course now that my sister is a CM, we have been making many extra trips to Orlando.

We also use our points all over the country and know since we are dealing through disney that our resort will be top notch. Since then my parents have bought an additional timesharer that we use only for trading. Since we don't know what we are getting into as far as a resort is concerned when you are trading your points we look to make sure it is on the Disney list before we attempt to book it. We did choose a resort that wasnt on the Disney list once and believe we will NEVER make that mistake again!

Now that I am 30 I am looking at some point to purchase too. I will probably just buy extra points through my parents or use my sisters CM discount.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom