iPhone users in Disney

antman157

Original Poster
Hey everyone .. I am purchasing 2 iPhone 3G phones this weekend for me and my wife .. We were using google maps on my friends iPhone and using the satelliete view you can see a lot of Disney, its really cool. Also I think its gonna be awesome using the Internet while waiting in the lines.. Just wondering, are there any other iPhone users in Disney? :sohappy:

devoy1701

Whats the point in even going on vacation anymore when you just take your internet and email and everything you surround yourself with during everyday life with you?!

seriously...I will never own a phone with those capabilities unless they stop making standard cell phones. I love being able to get away from email/internet and computers for a week! Heck, I don't even use the camera that comes standard on cell phones nowadays. Not to mention that $100/mo for cell phone service is insane!

:shrug:

TheDisneyMagic

I have a HTC Diamond, and a HTC Polaris which I purchased to replace an iPhone as I did not get on with it at all, these have 3.5g capabilities so get some great speeds for the internet connection, as for using them in the parks, I prefer listening to the park area music and watching all of the details around me. (Never understand why there are people standing there listening to mp3 players or walking around whilst at Disney as they play some of the best music in the world).

Now when im on a train, that is a different story. :D

Cattman96

I agree with the two posters above. I use the cell phone only when I want to meet up with a party that has gone another direction in the park. I don't want to virtually be there. I want to be there and enjoy the surroundings..

Keyda

I used it to keep up to date with important stuff like when Fay was moving through the Orlando area. Also, I am currently looking for a new apartment and living in an area where apartments are put up in an ad and an hour later they are gone, it is difficult to not check on that stuff. I throw my MP3 player on only on the bus late at night when I am tired and cranky or there are too many little ones who are out way past their bedtimes who aren't always in the chipperest of moods.

Email, work, online gaming, etc are always banned during vacation time. Work phone stays at home, work email is disabled. If people really need to reach call my phone and leave me a message.

I use my iPhone when I'm in the parks but only to keep track of my Disney trip itinerary, important phone calls, and for a quick picture when I can't pull out my camera.

For my upcoming trip, I used www.tripit.com for every reservation and detail of my trip and it has a GREAT iPhone interface. Check it out, it's really cool.

devoy1701

I have a HTC Diamond, and a HTC Polaris which I purchased to replace an iPhone as I did not get on with it at all, these have 3.5g capabilities so get some great speeds for the internet connection, as for using them in the parks, I prefer listening to the park area music and watching all of the details around me. (Never understand why there are people standing there listening to mp3 players or walking around whilst at Disney as they play some of the best music in the world).

Now when im on a train, that is a different story. :D

I've noticed more and more people walking around with iPod earbuds in their ears. Usually the distant child who doesn't look very thrilled to be on vacation with their parents. You miss so much of the immersion by simply not listening to everything around you. And since I regularly listen to park music and attraction audio on dtuneslive.com (shameless plug :lol:) I often find myself humming along to the area music when I'm walking around!

You don't need Google Earth while walking around the parks. A park map works fine!

trondannyboy

I'm on my white 3g right now while waiting for bus to MGM. Used mine alot to email. Weather remember dinning times. Look at google for best route walking g from 1 park to another.

Lynne M

Some of you are assuming the iPhone will be used to escape FROM Disney - listening to music, chatting with folks at home.

I'm thinkin', using it to help you do the parks, or make better use of your time:

....checking the menu for a restaurant to see if there's something you like before you walk all the way over to the other side of the park.

....checking current ride wait times on Twisney.

....finding out what the weather's going to be this afternoon before you haul the whole family over to Typhoon Lagoon.

And how about those of use who fly Southwest and have to check-in 24 hours before our flight to get a decent seat? I did my check-in for my return flight while having a nice breakfast of French Toast Loaf at the Main Street Bakery. :D

anamcara87

I use my iPhone all the time at Disney, and no, it doesn't take away from the trip. I've used the 'Map' function to look up restaurant numbers and make reservations, to check the weather, take Disney pics and email them to my friends and family, etc. It's a lot of fun. What you'll notice is that there's WiFi everywhere in the parks, password protected, of course.

devoy1701

LOL ignore fact I have 2 phones. Worked for me at pin stores pulled up pics of pins comming out if I couldn't find one. I can check emh when I forget hours. Check here for ride updates etc...

I'm just saying that plenty of people get along just fine and prefer to not have to use technology every second of their vacation. Pin stations have catalogs of upcoming pins, EMH are posted on the show times page. You can check for ride updates before you leave on your trip...chances are that nothing has changed in 24hrs...if something closes unexpectedly you're more likely to find out faster in the park than online. You can't get wait times or FP return times on the phone or anything (atleast not yet).

It is my humble opinion that if you feel that you need to have an iPhone or internet capable phone with you to obsessively check things all the time then you are missing out on some of the simple things of life. and the fact that you Danny are using your phone at the parks right now to check in on this site is proving my point. Go enjoy your day! Check the site when head back to your hotel!

Laura

Premium Member
The iPhone can be pretty handy at Disney. You can use it to look up show times, menus, weather, and things like that. But I try to stay off the phone and internet other than that as I prefer to just enjoy my vacation.

I've never understood the people who update "the forums" while standing in line and such. WDWMagic is the last thing on my mind on vacation!

Phonedave

I'm just saying that plenty of people get along just fine and prefer to not have to use technology every second of their vacation. Pin stations have catalogs of upcoming pins, EMH are posted on the show times page. You can check for ride updates before you leave on your trip...chances are that nothing has changed in 24hrs...if something closes unexpectedly you're more likely to find out faster in the park than online. You can't get wait times or FP return times on the phone or anything (atleast not yet).

It is my humble opinion that if you feel that you need to have an iPhone or internet capable phone with you to obsessively check things all the time then you are missing out on some of the simple things of life. and the fact that you Danny are using your phone at the parks right now to check in on this site is proving my point. Go enjoy your day! Check the site when head back to your hotel!

To each there own, but I am of the same mindset as you.

I work in telecomm, and I don't want to be around it :)

I have a cell phone that rings, thats about it. It is a "hardened" one - I can drop it, get it wet, etc. That feature I like.

I have an iPod that I won at a tech convention. I took it to the gym once. I would rather hear whats going on around me.

I have a laptop (for work) - it stays home when I go on vacation

Like I said, to each their own, but I like being "disconnected"

-dave

LoveDory

It's great that technology is getting so advanced, but would I want the internet at my fingertips while at WDW? heck no, not interested at all.

I prefer to do things the old fashioned way and when I'm away I have a holiday sim card for my phone which no one has the number to except very close family and friends. I like to be missed when I'm on holiday! and I like to be cut off from the "real world" until I get back home.

However, I'm not knocking those of you who are not like me, as someone else said, each to their own!

PinkQueen22

This past July, my whole family (all 6 of us) brought our iPhones to Disney and we had a lot of trouble using the Edge network in Orlando. If Edge would work at all, it would be very slow. Has anyone else experienced this? :shrug: All of us had the original iPhone so we didn't have the option for the 3G network. When the internet did work, it was very handy to be able to check the radar and forecast though. :wave:

yankspy

I guess I can see both sides of the coin here. There are some people who need to be on call all the time for work. There could also be a sick family member and the person needs to be reachable just in case something happens. There are dozens of reasons why someone might need to be connected while at WDW. Personally, I do as little as possible that resembles my daily life when I am there. That includes, phones, computers, driving, cooking, laundry, and watching TV. (unless it is the top 7) I do not even like wearing a watch but with FP and ADR'S, I can not avoid that one.

WDWFigment

The iPhone can be pretty handy at Disney. You can use it to look up show times, menus, weather, and things like that. But I try to stay off the phone and internet other than that as I prefer to just enjoy my vacation.

I've never understood the people who update "the forums" while standing in line and such. WDWMagic is the last thing on my mind on vacation!

I can understand needing to look up show times, menus, etc., but this is something I avoid by doing a lot of advance planning, printing information out, and picking up a Times Guide in the park. I'd rather spend a little extra time before the trip nailing down the details, than spending that time I could be using to soak in the details to figure it out while on vacation.

I don't get it either. Whenever I'm on vacation, I set up automatic email responses informing that I will respond substantively by X date. Disney World is an island way from the rest of the world as far as I'm concerned.

I once remember seeing someone post here that they were "writing from their balcony at Boardwalk". I thought to myself that if I had a room at Boardwalk, I'd be taking in everything there was to take in there. As an infrequent visitor (vacationer), I'm not going to spend my precious time on vacation updating WDWMagic on what's going on. I'll leave that to the locals. :shrug:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom