Interim show 'The Jungle Book: Alive with Magic' confirmed to debut ahead of Rivers of Light

Wdw62114

I keep seeing people say they were expecting WOC quality from this show. You set yourself up to be let down in that case.
As stated in my post, I was hoping for CLOSER to WOC. I wasnt expecting a full out WOC experience but I guess in more in the middle between this show and WOC. The water screens looked kinda small. Maybe im wrong since I just watched youtube footage

No Name

If that the extent of the water elements other than the barges for ROL, Im going to be extremely disappointed with that too.
As stated in my post, I was hoping for CLOSER to WOC. I wasnt expecting a full out WOC experience but I guess in more in the middle between this show and WOC. The water screens looked kinda small. Maybe im wrong since I just watched youtube footage

And that's the problem y'all are having. You all expected this to be a water show, with, I guess, lots of fountains and projections and stuff like that. And it's not. It's completely different.

The whole point of why we aren't seeing RoL is that IT'S NOT WORKING!! So of course this show wasn't going to have many fountains. The fountains are on the lotus flowers, which aren't working. For the little amount resources they had to work with, they put together some nice barges and stages and got a lot of good performers.

But I can see it... you guys thought "oooh but I want more water stuff, and all they did was dance to fill up time." The problem is that you had RoL or WoC pictured, and so when this wasn't even a similar ceoncept or style as those, you thought it was bad. You came in with not neccessarily too high expectations, but the wrong expectations. This isn't a bad show at all, it's just a very different show (that focuses on Indian cultural singing and dancing), and if you all couldn't get past that, that's your loss.

The average guest will not have those wrong expectations, and so I imagine they'll like this.

Disclaimer: I was and am in no way involved in the show. :)

Merlin0402

Everyone keeps saying that this (and ROL) aren't going to be WOC level experiences. Why couldn't they have installed WOC-like infrastructure here? Wouldn't that have been perfect for not disturbing the animals and still wowing the guests? They decided to go a cheaper route and rely on floating barges instead of fountains and now it's come back to bite them...

seabreezept813

It's a really a shame avatarland isn't open for all of this because I truly think it would give animal kingdom that push in tandem with ROL to showcase why nightlife at AK is truly something unique and spectacular.

I agree that they are just not going to get that reaction until the whole package is available. Even then, while I know my family will be in awe when we eventually see it, Animal Kingdom is an acquired taste. It is not a "typical" theme park and I think even nighttime offerings won't necessarily appeal to people who were bored with it during the day. It is one of our favorite parks, but we know plenty of people who skip it thinking it's a glorified zoo. Anyways, it will never be Magic Kingdom, which we don't want it to be, but I am sure many do.

MOM2FOUR

I switched my FP after watching the video. I was on the fence anyway. I was hoping for more since it was Disney, but I guess they can't work magic in three weeks. I just figured since they've been working on ROL for years in that same "theater" they'd have a little more to offer.

Wdw62114

And that's the problem y'all are having. You all expected this to be a water show, with, I guess, lots of fountains and projections and stuff like that. And it's not. It's completely different.

The whole point of why we aren't seeing RoL is that IT'S NOT WORKING!! So of course this show wasn't going to have many fountains. The fountains are on the lotus flowers, which aren't working. For the little amount resources they had to work with, they put together some nice barges and stages and got a lot of good performers.

But I can see it... you guys thought "oooh but I want more water stuff, and all they did was dance to fill up time." The problem is that you had RoL or WoC pictured, and so when this wasn't even a similar ceoncept or style as those, you thought it was bad. You came in with not neccessarily too high expectations, but the wrong expectations. This isn't a bad show at all, it's just a very different show (that focuses on Indian cultural singing and dancing), and if you all couldn't get past that, that's your loss.

The average guest will not have those wrong expectations, and so I imagine they'll like this.

Disclaimer: I was and am in no way involved in the show. :)

So your saying I have "a problem"? :p:D

FigmentForver96

Everyone keeps saying that this (and ROL) aren't going to be WOC level experiences. Why couldn't they have installed WOC-like infrastructure here? Wouldn't that have been perfect for not disturbing the animals and still wowing the guests? They decided to go a cheaper route and rely on floating barges instead of fountains and now it's come back to bite them...
Everything does not need to be grand spectacular super large nighttime experinces. First off barges and fountains and water screens tell a much better story then just fountains. Also, sometimes it is about telling a story and in your face big isn't the way to go. Illuminations is a great example of a mix where pyro and barges and fountains can create a beautiful story.

donsullivan

Premium Member

The water screens are not small at all, they are enormous. however if the video you saw was a wide angle view to take in the whole show, it will distort the scale of them. They are significantly larger and higher than those used in Fantasmic.

skimbob

This show started out really bad by the length of time it took to get cast to their positions. The child making noise in the video was more entertaining. The fans were horrible. Even with wind WOC still does really well on its projections. You get some drifting images but these fans looked to be too far apart to effectively do their job. I took into account it was a video but by what I saw this theatrical production was poorly thought out. My suggestion would be to either take more time to make it better or don't show it at all. With two amazing shows already in this park this one is sad. Where is a real live Mowgli. It would not have been that hard to hire either a kid or a young entertainer to fill the role especially since auditions were announced across the U.S. In Backstage which is an audition portal for theater performers. Disney you can do so much better.

Wdw62114

Everything does not need to be grand spectacular super large nighttime experinces. First off barges and fountains and water screens tell a much better story then just fountains. Also, sometimes it is about telling a story and in your face big isn't the way to go. Illuminations is a great example of a mix where pyro and barges and fountains can create a beautiful story.
It comes down to individuals personal tastes and what they like to watch. I think Illuminations is horrible and boring. But thats my opinion....doesnt make me right or wrong for thinking that

Wdw62114

It comes down to individuals personal tastes and what they like to watch. I think Illuminations is horrible and boring. But thats my opinion....doesnt make me right or wrong for thinking that
Well thats good to know. I wasnt fully sure because of just watching youtube and that can be deceiving.

FigmentForver96

Yea but the poster said they cheaped out...:no not necessarily. They simply took a different route and I actually applaud them for not making some Disney IP musical crap fest

Wdw62114

Yes, I was shocked at how big they are in person! How was the quality for your show? Did the giant screen in the center create the full mist screen or was there a gap too? Also, I want to point out that unlike what a previous poster said, the wind was definitely blowing more than 5mph. I'd say it was along the lines of 10. Still though, it begs the question why couldn't they have made a mist screen that doesn't break apart in the wind?

Again people need to get over themselves and their idiotic expectations for this show. Not once did Disney market this has some giant fantastic nighttime show. It is literally exactly what they said it would be, a small tribute to the recent Jungle Book film. Sorry you all are too dumb to understand that, but seriously go cry a river somewhere else. As much flack as I give this company, I still applaud them for throwing this show together on the whim. Hopefully some of the critiques the show has been getting will help them enhance it for however long it plays at DAK.
WOW! maybe you need to get over yourself as well. Were we crying a river? we were discussing opinions in a nice manner....you know which is what forums are for? Take your poor attitude elsewhere if your that offended by other peoples opinion that doesn't match yours. And maybe show some manners too.

wdwfan22

Not once did Disney market this has some giant fantastic nighttime show. It is literally exactly what they said it would be, a small tribute to the recent Jungle Book film. Sorry you all are too dumb to understand that, but seriously go cry a river somewhere else. As much flack as I give this company, I still applaud them for throwing this show together on the whim. Hopefully some of the critiques the show has been getting will help them enhance it for however long it plays at DAK.

Sorry but yes they did the minute they sold dining packages for this show. Not everybody sits on a Disney message board all day to understand what to expect. If I had paid cash to see this crap I would have demanded my money back! I was at the 10:30 show last night and there were quite a few people saying they wish they had visited another park instead. This is going to leave a horrible taste for those experiencing the first summer of Animal Kingdom after dark.

Wdw62114

Yea but the poster said they cheaped out...:no not necessarily. They simply took a different route and I actually applaud them for not making some Disney IP musical crap fest

Yeah I dont think they cheaped out at all. I do applaud Disney for coming up with something this quick. Turns out I was wrong about the size of the water screens which I admit. (I know right? a poster on a forum actually admitting they were wrong? lol). It appears that it was just not my cup of tea.

ptaylor

Premium Member
Yes, I was shocked at how big they are in person! How was the quality for your show? Did the giant screen in the center create the full mist screen or was there a gap too? Also, I want to point out that unlike what a previous poster said, the wind was definitely blowing more than 5mph. I'd say it was along the lines of 10. Still though, it begs the question why couldn't they have made a mist screen that doesn't break apart in the wind?
4.6mph was the observed wind speed at 9:50pm (closest I can find) last night according to the historical records
https://www.wunderground.com/histor...reqdb.zip=32830&reqdb.magic=1&reqdb.wmo=99999

Regardless though, the wind speed is typically between 5 and 10 mph, so the show needs to perform in that.

As it stands though from last night, the mist screens are highly ineffective. And although larger than Fantasmic!, they are nowhere near as effective, both in their ability to hold together as a screen, and their positioning relative to the guest view.

jrhwdw

Well remember guys, this is not a nighttime spectacular, it's primarily a stage show that happens to be in a large outdoor theatre. Expectations need to be checked.
Thank you for saying that last night. I just saw the video, it's interesting. Not horrible but it doesn't feel like a nighttime spectacular but I guess it wasn't meant to. The only thing I found very interesting was that quick shot of Pyro at the end. I thought AK couldn't do any kind of Pyro because of the animals. Does this mean some Pyro will go into ROL?
When ROL opens, could Jungle Book move to the daytime and back to the 60's film with Baloo and Louie? I think I saw a tweet last week that said that the set pieces could be used in the daytime.

wdwfan22

I still don't have any sympathy for anyone in this situation, maybe don't buy a dinner package for show you're unfamiliar with? Sorry, but I'm not going to play this "I didn't get what I wanted, so let me pee on Disney" game this time around. Nope. You all deserve every bit of disappointment heading your way because you excreted something along the lines of Fantasmic.
I'm going to go out on a limb and say you work for Disney so you don't pay for admission to the parks. So of course your going to have no sympathy for the paying guest.

Baloo62

As you can tell by my avatar and username, I love the Jungle Book. It's not only my favorite Disney movie, but favorite movie ever. In fact, it was the very first movie I saw in a theater at the age of 5 in 1967. It holds a very special place in my childhood. So believe me when I say I wanted this to be good. All I can say is it looks like WOC to me....wastebasket of crap.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom