Interim show 'The Jungle Book: Alive with Magic' confirmed to debut ahead of Rivers of Light

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
Yep. If you are going to make a preview, you should include a few show highlights. And those moments felt really awkward. I could tell by that clip alone that it would be a rocky show. And judging by the full video I just watched, I was right. Honestly, I am glad because that gives me assurance ROL will still come. JB will hopefully improve in the weeks to come but ultimately, it feels temporary. Normally that's a bad thing but not this time.

I almost think a better show might have been featuring the real jungle book recorded music along with some of the characters interlaced in the show as well. To me it just seems like something you would see in an India section of the park, not the premier night time show for the whole animal kingdom

JustInTime

I almost think a better show might have been featuring the real jungle book recorded music along with some of the characters interlaced in the show as well. To me it just seems like something you would see in an India section of the park, not the premier night time show for the whole animal kingdom
I was thinking same thing. The a classic would have been better because they could have featured characters. I understand wanting to cash in on the live action's success. Either way, I'm still looking forward to seeing this in person. Though, fingers crossed I see ROL instead. We will be there the last week of September - October 1st

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
A look at the setup

DSC09118-2.jpg
DSC09117-1.jpg

ptaylor

Premium Member
Reality Check...weve seen the projections hit the mark in media previews..it was windy tonight ...wind blows water = projections no worky likey they should...i swear some of yall need a Xanax
Wind was 4 to 5 mph last night during the show, which is typical for most nights in the summer. If it cant perform in those conditions then it shouldn't have been installed.

donsullivan

Premium Member
I saw the second performance of Jungle Book Alive last night along with many others. A few thoughts:

- The projections on water do not work well at all (not functional issue, just visual). You could essentially not see what they were projecting, just a sense that something was putting light on the back of the water screens. I've seen reports that these are not the screens that will be used for RoL so this may just be part of the temporary nature of this show being pulled together quickly with what they had.
- If you're overthinking it, and aware of what happened you can clearly see a lot of parts of this that were clearly rushed together (the stages for example) when the problems with RoL manifest. I've seen reports that a number of the mobile 'rafts' are actually on loan from Disneyland Fantasmic and I'd believe that since they are identical to things like the princess floats, just without the lighting on the rails.
- I was pleasantly surprised at the very large number of live performers throughout all aspects of the show. I didn't spend the time to count anything out but the number of performers actually in the show is really high.
- It was nice to see live singers vs recordings we might expect for the desired consistency of a show like that. All 3 of them were quite good (even if I believe nobody but Phil Harris should ever be allowed to sing Bare Necessities:))

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
I've seen reports that these are not the screens that will be used for RoL so this may just be part of the temporary nature of this show being pulled together quickly with what they had.
I'm fairly sure they are the RoL screens. We've seen those right from the very start, and they were in place long before this temporary show was announced.

donsullivan

Premium Member
I'm fairly sure they are the RoL screens. We've seen those right from the very start, and they were in place long before this temporary show was announced.

When we were watching last night, one thought I had was the issue might just be with the imagery being projected. If it's all from the current Jungle Book movie (which seems obvious) it's pretty dark and flat color wise. We all agreed that if the imagery being projected was more colorful, it might be just fine.

Lirael

On one hand I understand that the show was hastily thrown together and unplanned for, so naturally it wouldn't be 'wow'. On the the other hand, it's wdw's own fault that they couldn't plan RoL testing and such better, so it's hard to feel any pity for them, they only have themselves to blame.

At least with mixed to negative opinions, there won't be any incentive to relax about getting RoL done.

Disney6166

Here is the problem. Disney over hypes all these events and never delivers. The show was ok, the water projections you could hardly see. Compared to World of Color in Disneyland it was terrible. If 4-5 mile a hour winds are going to effect it as another poster said it should never have been installed. They already had to delay the opening a month, and now they give this show until they can fix all the problems with the original. You can tell Disney whipped this together in 3 weeks and really should be ashamed of themselves for thinking that this would be ok. It would a nice daytime show to sit down and get some rest from walking. The Yeti never worked properly on Everest and it was touted as the biggest and most amazing Animatronic Disney ever built and it never worked. I hate to say this but lately it is getting to be typical of how Disney is operating. They put out all of these Imagineering Videos of how great it is going to be and it is less than spectacular. Tree of Life Awakening was a pleasant surprise however.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
When we were watching last night, one thought I had was the issue might just be with the imagery being projected. If it's all from the current Jungle Book movie (which seems obvious) it's pretty dark and flat color wise. We all agreed that if the imagery being projected was more colorful, it might be just fine.
The two large center screens were not meeting in the middle to the form the intended semi-circle. The center section was then missing, with nothing being shown in that part of the screen.

DisneyDreamer08

So I admit, I only watched bits and pieces of the show video but, are there no Jungle Book characters anywhere in the show? I guess I too was expecting more of a focus on the characters, not so much Indian culture. The dancing/singing/performing elements seemed fine but maybe not as kid friendly as I was hoping. My 5 year old would be bored during this show, which is fine, I realize not everything has to be geared towards kids. Our trip is in September and we do have a night planned for AK. If it is still this show however, I would be fine skipping it. Even though I think the adults in our group would enjoy it, it wouldn't be worth it for our 2 small children.

donsullivan

Premium Member
So I admit, I only watched bits and pieces of the show video but, are there no Jungle Book characters anywhere in the show? I guess I too was expecting more of a focus on the characters, not so much Indian culture. The dancing/singing/performing elements seemed fine but maybe not as kid friendly as I was hoping. My 5 year old would be bored during this show, which is fine, I realize not everything has to be geared towards kids. Our trip is in September and we do have a night planned for AK. If it is still this show however, I would be fine skipping it. Even though I think the adults in our group would enjoy it, it wouldn't be worth it for our 2 small children.

I think you may have hit on one of the things that concerned me after seeing this and Tree of Life Awakening first hand last night. There is no Disney related IP in either of these shows. Most people have an immediate image in their minds when the hear the title 'Jungle Book' and if they do not see any of the familiar characters are going to come out disappointed. I understand this is just a temporary show and was focused on the live action movie and for what it is, it's well done and well performed. I get a sense that early feedback might push them to add some of the classic character performers into it as it gets rolling to keep the younger crowd interested. As some have reported about RoL, it has that feel of being a little too 'artsy' to interest the broad audience of Disney guests.

Last edited:

TTA94

Hopefully Disney gets wind of the negative reactions of Jungle Book and either improve it or try even harder to get RoL completed for the summer and not the Fall.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom