Interesting Theory

Raven66

I'm so not artistic. I'm a big reader but I guess that is not considered an art. bummer. My DH is not really artistic either. But my DD(11) is filled with artsy stuff. She loves to write short stories and she just started band this year. She is playing the saxophone and she is really good. She took right to it. So I guess my talents laid dorment so I could pass them on to her.

b-rian91

Count me in on your theory. Ask anyone thats around me and if they know well enough, ive got one heck of a creative mind on me, and am a pretty good artist, not like people aritst. But designs/logos/buildings/cars. And to heck with books, when I work with my hands things get done. Im still in school, but alot of my creativity goes into my cars, or other peoples cars. Try and find 1 school paper that doesnt have drawings all over it lol. I consider myself to have alot of talent, but at times Im never given the chance to show it.

xsupaxmanxsfnex

I love photography and videography so I guess count me in too.
Cool theory.
My sister has been dancing ballet all her life and she still does at 18. She is also a hardcore Disney fan.
Very interesting.

ms7479a

I like your theory and find that it applies to me as well. I have been involved in band since I was in the fifth grade (I'm a senior in college now). I play the trumpet, french horn, and mellophone. My sister is the same way, also a big Disney fan and actively involved in band.

sweetpee_1993

I'm in! Yep, I'm artsy, crafty, creative, etc. When I was a kid growing up in Orlando my dream was to go into animation. In the 6th grade I created my own little character of sorts. He was a really dilapitated looking rabbit I named Funny Bunny. I drew him in stories. I even made a ceramic sculpture of him in art class in the 7th grade. My mom still has the figure. I can only laugh when I see it now. My folks have paintings and drawings that I did in school on their walls. I love to sew. I taught myself how to when I was in grade school. My mom taught me to crochet so I would use her yarn remnants to make little stuffed bears and such. As a mom I don't have much time to do a lot of the painting and drawing that I enjoyed in college. I still create all the time. I decorate my house. I love fashion. Tonight I made 2 cakes that look like giant Legos for my youngest son's 11th birthday tomorrow. Also sitting next to me on the sofa as I type is a soft sculpture doll I got recently that I decided I didn't like the hair so I removed it and am working on replacing it (lots of hand sewing involved). So, yeah, I'm a creative little booger.

The creative streak runs in my mom's family biiiig time. My grandfather was an engineer and a big kid to boot. He was always making things, creating things, playing his big kid games. I miss him a lot. My grandmother is a sensational cook and she doesn't use recipes. She just makes these wonderful dishes and meals out of nothing at all. I don't have that skill. My mother is very creative. My brother is artistic. My aunts and uncle all are super crafty, imaginative, and artsy. A lot of my cousins follow these same lines. Something to note is that lots of my family members from my grandparents down to my children's generation are all huge Disney fans. Both of my sons are super-duper creative in their own ways. My oldest son is musically talented. He plays the electric guitar and drums. My youngest is the artist. He paints, draws, and creates stories both in writing and illustration. As for my hubby, although he isn't one to draw or bake or sew, he has his own creative mind. His profession is Sr. Piping Designer which isn't as colorful and fun as some of us think but it requires the ability to envision things that don't yet exist in your mind and translate it into drawings. He's also extremely funny. I think his ability to whip out the hum-dingers in milli-seconds is extremely creative.

Here's another twist to your theory: aside from all my creativity, etc. an attachment to all things Disney could also be an emotional thing. For me, another huge factor in my Disney fixation is the emotional memories and ties that I have. Without going into a lot of detail, when I was growing up my memories of being at WDW with my dad or with my grandparents or with my sister are some of the few truly good memories I have. It was a place that I could escape the things that I lived with day to day and be a kid. When I was a kid I wasn't afforded the opportunity to be one often. It was an escape, worry-free bliss. It's just another thought to add to the theories.

I like this thread. I feel like I'm getting to know a lot of the people I see posting here in a whole new way. Very cool!

mpoppins217

I love this thread!

As far as artistic ability nope. Not a lick of it. I'm another one of those who can't even draw decent stick figures. :cry:

The only marginally creative things I've done was some theater in highschool but that was about 4 years ago, so not much since then.

Only thing left that I do is sing. But I wouldn't say I'm particularly talented but you'd have to ask my roommates, showerhead, or car steering wheel as they're the ones who listen. hahaha :p

Uponastar

My husband is a photographer, videographer and computer imager. I just recently discovered I have a creative side, too. I don't know if our creativity draws us to WDW...there are so many reasons we love going...but it may enhance our view of things. Interesting theory.

Janetay14

This theory fits my whole family! I am a singer and a dancer, my DH plays guitar, sings, and can draw, and both DD and DS love to dance, sing, and play instruments. We are also very creative (DH and I write songs, poems, etc.) I am so lucky to have a family full of Disney World fanatics! :sohappy:

wedway71

Small world... I grew up in Ft. Lauderdale(Sunrise) and am a huge DISNEY freak. It is funny that I am very creative as far as ideas for commercials or advertising. My Dad had been an Art Director/ Advertising Exec. for the last 30 years. My son ,who is 10, is very artistic. He is 10 an draws like an DISNEY Animator.

I cant not draw but have awesome ideas for commercials and Marketing campaigns. So I guess that is my Artistic side.

HDS

Holds true to me.

Grew up in Fort Lauderdale (Sunrise as well, off 14th AVE). Im an actor,costume maker, prop maker, sing and play guitar in a 80's cover band the list goes on. I do what ever makes me happy at that point in time, I guess its form of ADD Hehhe..

I was a massive Disney dork when I was younger, I could forge Walts logo signicher and spray painted it around the naborhood (dork). I also learned how to do voices of Mickey, Minnie, Goofy and a so so Donald. I did karaoke night at a bar for fun and they had "Raindow Connection" and I sung it as Kermit which floor the drunken bar paytrons LOL.

Thiger

I'm a creative director for a multi media firm
I used to get into much trouble for doodling in class and while my teachers scolded me, characters like dream finder and figment encouraged to me to be as creative as i wanted to. Now, I make way more money from my doodles and designs than i would have going into something that was uncreative and just not for me.

a really cool thread though, a solid litmus test for disney's encouragement of education and creativity!

Phonedave

Creative yes, artistic not on your life.

I do "think outside the box" but from a business world aspect. About the closest I get to artistic is cooking and brewing.

What attracted me to Disney was their attention to detail, maybe because of my engineering background.

-dave

wedway71

Holds true to me.

Grew up in Fort Lauderdale (Sunrise as well, off 14th AVE). Im an actor,costume maker, prop maker, sing and play guitar in a 80's cover band the list goes on. I do what ever makes me happy at that point in time, I guess its form of ADD Hehhe..

I was a massive Disney dork when I was younger, I could forge Walts logo signicher and spray painted it around the naborhood (dork). I also learned how to do voices of Mickey, Minnie, Goofy and a so so Donald. I did karaoke night at a bar for fun and they had "Raindow Connection" and I sung it as Kermit which floor the drunken bar paytrons LOL.

small world... did you go to Piper?

HDS

Was Piper the middle school?

I went to North Side elementary when I lived there. Pompano Beach Middle school and Stoneman Douglas for high school.

Jaytrod

Original Poster
Small world... I grew up in Ft. Lauderdale(Sunrise) and am a huge DISNEY freak.

It is a small world after all :hammer:.. I grew up in Plantation and now live in Davie... Piper was a high school.... I went to St. Thomas :hurl:

cpeterstx

I'm going to make a sweepingly general statement, so please forgive me. I find that my generally optimistic friends share my love of Disney and my generally pessimistic friends either don't care or actively despise the mouse house.

Anyone else see the same connection?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom