Interesting rumors about marvel in dl & wdw

acishere

Doesn't Six Flags have the rights to DC comic characters?

Yeah my local 6 Flags already has a Superman Flying Coaster, Bizarro, Green Lantern stand up coaster, Batman Coaster, DC meet and greets, and a Dark Knight dark ride. So I have a feeling they would have a major objection to Universal adding a DC-land. Especially when Universal can come out with a higher quality product and can cut into their business (My local park attracts people from all over due to having the tallest ride in the world, it used to be fastest too) they would have reason to worry. I mean you think having the Yeti in disco mode is disappointing? A 6 Flags dark ride is nothing but disco mode.

Also, Universal probably doesn't want to take DC over Marvel anymore. Beyond Batman the DC universe hasn't been as successful with the general public as of late. Hopefully the new Superman movie will change that, since Green Lantern sure didn't. So as long as Universal has the rights, I don't see them surrendering them.

quirkle

My issue

I guess my real issue is that Disney characters are just that - Disney Characters - even though the princesses are based on legends they are not the same as anywhere else. Cinderella is Cinderella because she is a Disney property - created by Disney.

Marvel characters are not Disney characters - they are created from someone else and the rights are bought by Disney - it just is not the same no matter how you cut it.

I have seen how 6 Flags does the DC characters and it is not the same as seeing the dedication and committment that Disney has with their characters. Basically its like my husband putting on his Captain America halloween costume and walking around the park - so tacky.

I am sure that Disney would do a great job but they do not belong in Magic Kingdom, EPCOT or AK. When I go to MK I do not want to see someone else's characters - they just don't belong there. :hurl:

I agree that Disney is not in the market of making thrill rides like those at Universal or 6 Flags and that is fine. And with the agreements WDW will not be visited by Marvel characters anyway. So if Disneyland feels the need to have Marvel characters they need to really think about the fidelity and feel of Disney parks. My husband would love to go to a Marvel theme park or a Marvel section of a park but I will not agree with anything to do with putting the two worlds together.

I guess my real issue is that Disney characters are just that - Disney Characters - even though the princesses are based on legends they are not the same as anywhere else. Cinderella is Cinderella because she is a Disney property - created by Disney.

Marvel characters are not Disney characters - they are created from someone else and the rights are bought by Disney - it just is not the same no matter how you cut it.

I have seen how 6 Flags does the DC characters and it is not the same as seeing the dedication and committment that Disney has with their characters. Basically its like my husband putting on his Captain America halloween costume and walking around the park - so tacky.

I am sure that Disney would do a great job but they do not belong in Magic Kingdom, EPCOT or AK. When I go to MK I do not want to see someone else's characters - they just don't belong there. :hurl:

I agree that Disney is not in the market of making thrill rides like those at Universal or 6 Flags and that is fine. And with the agreements WDW will not be visited by Marvel characters anyway. So if Disneyland feels the need to have Marvel characters they need to really think about the fidelity and feel of Disney parks. My husband would love to go to a Marvel theme park or a Marvel section of a park but I will not agree with anything to do with putting the two worlds together.

This! You are my hero. :)

thehowiet

Wilson King of Prussia
How do you feel about Pixar characters/rides in the parks?

Interesting question and I see what you are getting at here, but I still think there is a difference. Even though Disney didn't create those Pixar characters, the films were still released by Walt Disney Pictures and it was the first time those characters were introduced to the masses, so there has always been that link. The same cannot be said about Marvel.

RunnerEd

I have several non-Disney fans that when I mention that Up or Toy Story aren't Disney movies, they look at me like I have 3 heads or something. They see the Castle and the Disney script, it's Disney; it doesn't matter that Luxo Jr comes out...it's Disney to them. I guess I feel that way about the Pixar Characters in the parks; they didn't start our as fully Disney but they were adopted. Marvel was just bought. That's my two cents.

Magenta Panther

Interesting question and I see what you are getting at here, but I still think there is a difference. Even though Disney didn't create those Pixar characters, the films were still released by Walt Disney Pictures and it was the first time those characters were introduced to the masses, so there has always been that link. The same cannot be said about Marvel.

Plus, Disney played a big role in Pixar's success, and the philosophies and story-telling styles of the two studios mesh well. Not so with ANYTHING Marvel.

AEfx

That's how I feel about Pixar...

flavious27

It matters what is part of the deal between universal a la comcast and marvel a la disney. I don't know if there is a restriction in place that deals what areas are exclusive to the IP and what is part of that. In the harry potter contract, the territory was 250 miles from orlando and it includes not only parks but also stuff like star trek the experience. Disney could be able to have something like the narnia preview attraction for the avengers, that is basically what the stark expo idea is.

nc_disneyfreak

this is what im talking about!

This! You are my hero. :)

i could not have said it better myself...wdw is such its own unique niche in a ever increasing crazy world....i love going there to escape to main street usa, tomorrowland, frontierland etc....not gotham city lol....now i love some comic book hero things, but i cant imagine iron man walking around the space mtn area lol....i would love to see a little bit more thrill rides, maybe in a new section (cause we all know theres plenty of room.....go on google earth and get a birds eye view of all of WDW and youll be astonished at the amount of property they hold) just keep disney, disney

FigmentJedi

This isn't Disney where choices on Paint cost tens of millions of dollars. Batman is more recognizeable than the Green Lantern so with some changes to the queue and some Black paint the change wouldn't be tough.

Batman's kind of a waste for Hulk anyways. Would just be a Six Flags rehash. Put him in Spider-Man.

Stevek

From day 1, the Pixar movies felt very Disney to me so their inclusion in the parks felt very natural. Marvel has such a long history pre Disney so the connection is/will be much harder for me to make.

quirkle

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Power Rangers?

If you see my post - I said AK, EPCOT & MK. I never said anything about DHS - I am responding to the concept of them being in tomorrowland in MK.

Personally - I did not like them - thought it was cheesy.

quirkle

From day 1, the Pixar movies felt very Disney to me so their inclusion in the parks felt very natural. Marvel has such a long history pre Disney so the connection is/will be much harder for me to make.

Totally agree - Pixar and Disney are married and if you say Nemo people say Disney.

I like Marvel characters - just don't put them in MK, Ak or EPCOT.

I see Pixar as purely Disney myself. I don't even count them as two separate companies but as Disney and Disney only.

I agree with this. To me Pixar is Disney, they have been with Disney from Toy Story and Disney gives them the freedom to create what they want. Their characters to me are Disney characters. Marvel, though I respect their history, is not a Disney company and I don't see iron man or the hulk as a Disney character but I guess now as a Disney entity. Yes, I feel these characters should be respectively incorporated into the parks but where they belong and were they can mesh in with the current themes.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom